Response to thread by Candice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
John, Candice posted her pictures here ( a couple of links down) after a thread on the other forum. For those of us learning what to look for and because there really seems to be some confusion on what to look for (as some thought this guy was a dwarf) Could you please tell us what you "don't see" in this guy that you would expect to see if he were a dwarf. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
miniwhinney,

I do not have any pics on websites to link to but I know there are numerous sites out there and I am sure someone can link there pics that they have on a website. I believe that what Candice has is a horse with not so good conformation that probably is showing some expressivity of the recessive dwarf gene, ie the short neck and slight underbite, I have the opinion that the colt is carrying a recessive dwarf gene, I do not know the pedigree though, but he has other faults that are not characterisitics of dwarfism per se alone, if you look at the dam in one of the pics, you can see the conformational similarities in the two that are characteristics that are not dwarf traits. The head is not extreme, the legs are not deformed like I see in dwarfism, the front legs are bad, but I would look at the parents and grandparents.

Without pics of both parents and even sometimes grandparents, you dont see "where" some characteristics

are coming from.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back