Shetland Convention info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txminipinto

Reaction score
I know about the new Congress location (
default_no.gif
default_smileypuke.gif
default_no.gif
) - can you feel my excitement?
default_thumbdown.gif
I know we all have our own reasons why we wanted to move to certain locations, but it's never going to get bigger until it's more accessible to ALL shetland owners.

Anyway, moving on........

Was anyone present for my rule proposal on the Over division for Foundations? I was unfortunately, unable to attend due to financial reasons and sent some supporters for me. I guess I can use my 2008 Congress money for Convention next year.
default_wacko.png

Also, what happened with the rule proposal to do away with walk throus on Hunter, Jumper, and Obstacle classes?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your proposal was to allow the foundation height to go up to 46 in for showing or something close to that... I dont have my notes in front of me.. then it failed

I do believe that we will still have walk thrus but I can not tell you 100 percent on that one till I go outside and get my notes and it is COLD out there lol

I don't know about the rest, but have to say no kidding on the location. There's no way we'll be going to Congress so long as it's so far away...
default_wacko.png

Wait a sec, Carin your not going to Congress next year?
default_please.gif
Leeana,

It's too far in the future right now to commit either way. It will depend on client wishes. It's definately a trip that I can not foot on my bill alone that's for sure! However, if there are any willing parties that would like to give charitble donations to the "Pondering Oaks at Congress Foundation", I will gladly set up a trust fund.
default_new_rofl.gif

I can assure you that I will be at Pinto World and AMHR Nationals though. Since they are centrally located events.........
default_shutup.gif

Hey!! Does anybody know if there are any surprises waiting for us after convention like there were for the last 2 years in a row???? Remember???? Last year they raised the price of the prefix/suffix for farm names from $20 to $200.....yikes!!!

And, the year before that they closed the AMHR hardship registry with hardly any notice....

Very disappointed that the Congress is going to be so far away for so many of us southerners, northeners and more so for the westerners........ disappointing, also, that the arena is not air conditioned....sigh

Carin...sorry to hear that your Foundation Over Division show proposal seems to have failed.....it was a good proposal.....send it in again for next year!!!!!

They will still be doing walk throughs for Youth and PMC classes.

As far as Congress, it is about 2000 miles for me to go. I figure, once you travel 3 days what is a few more hours. It really is only about 200 more miles for us. I am really going to try to make this my first congress. We'll see how the year goes.

the difference between Lincoln NE and Terre Haute IN is about 600 miles making it just over 1800 miles to Congress but if all goes according to my plans (like that ever happens) perhaps Raven will be going to Congress with a new pony
default_wink.png

does anyone know is congress going to stay in this location?

After looking at the site it seems identical to Gordyville only it has air in the bathrooms and office. I guess its better then no air anywhere LOL.

Lisa I so hope you get to make it! It really is sooo much fun!

Hoping to be there with jet again and our homegrown filly tease

It's only about a 2 hour difference for us from going to gordyville to going to Terre Haute. Gordyville was about a 6 hour drive and Terre Haute is a little over 4 hours, how will i ever survive ?????
default_rolleyes.gif

I am extremely excited for congress next year and to try out this new show grounds. Even if they had moved it to Lincoln NE i still would have went, which still is only about a 13 hour drive. I'll support whatever decision the board members make, but i can understand most not wanting to make the 4 day trip.

Lisa you have to go
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
. We'll be there agian with Royal and Kitty
default_aktion033.gif

Carin,

I was present at all meetings and the motion to elimate walk-thoughs was defeated by a majority in every meeting including the Stewards meeting.

If your motion was raising the height on Foundation Shetlands, it was defeated.

Vickie

Hi Carin,

Yes as I told you I would get it presented
default_yes.gif
, There was discussion mostly againist it !! I don't believe one person talked on the side for it , wish you had of been there. but I do understand the cost.

Let us Give this In. location a chance before we tear it apart !!
default_wink.png
It is a Brand new place and they gave us a heck of a price and put a cap on it so we know exactly how much it will cost at the max.. No guessing there.. Also Carin I looked the mileage up for you trip and to Lincoln it says..

Iola, TX US Revise | New Directions

Lincoln, NE US Revise | New Directions

Total Est. Time: 12 hours, 27 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 803.30 miles

Online Offers

Lincoln Hotels

Schools in Nebraska

Lincoln Real Estate

Add Another Stop to Your Route!

Iola, TX US Revise | New Directions

Cloverdale, IN US Revise | New Directions

Total Est. Time: 15 hours, 2 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 963.91 miles
So it is a 160 miles difference.. So maybe we can all try and make it a good place. I thought long and hard before I voted, but like I have said from the start the $$ would make the decision .

Once again the judges are , please remember these judges have to be contacted and accept before this is official.. Thanks

Larry Thurber

Lee Crutchfield

Arlene Faulk

Alternate-------Gary Eds..

yea wayyyyyyyy to far away im farther down than Carin. im at the very tip of texas by the gulf of mexico

I realize it is a long drive for some but if we really have a desire to go, we have time to figure out a plan and save up some money. Ask those that travel long distances how they do it and routes they take, etc.

Maybe someone within your area wants to go as well and you can combine a trailer, share the driving and expenses.

When we go to Nationals, Worlds or any other show that is 28-30 hours for us to drive, we stop at night at horse hotels, take the horses off the trailer. They get a good night sleep and feel rested when we load up the next morning. They arrive rested, healthy, and in good condition.

We keep a bucket of water in front of them while driving and keep them occupied with several small meals throughout the day.

There truly are ways to make this work and time to figure a plan if you want to go.

Cloverdale, IN is 2,022 miles (29 hours not pulling a trailer).

Lincoln, NE is 1,490 miles (21 hours not pulling a trailer).

I will have to think long and hard before asking my young ponies to haul 4,000+ miles and be expected to look and perform at their best...

So disappointing that they make Congress so unfriendly for those who are new, just because we happen to live "not in the heart of old Shetland country".

As much as I would love to see the breed flourish... I hope somehow (poor attendance or something) makes them think for 2009 about a more centrally located area.

I will have to weigh this carefully... I am desperately trying to get into the breed and haven't minded driving as far as Oklahoma in the past for the miniatures... but every other breed that my friends show have their Nationals in central parts of the country. None of this "old timer favoritism" stuff. Sheesh.

Andrea

Speaking of finding rides Annette I hope your pony string isnt to big LOL we have not found the pony yet but I am hoping sometime before July we will.
default_yes.gif
Really all in all Congress is a bit easier for us to work with just being the time of year and not worrying about Raven missing so much school just as it is starting so we are going to do our best to be there and if we dont make it this year it isnt the location it is simply not having found the "right" pony yet

If you plan layovers to let them rest it really isnt that big of a deal even on the younger horses I mean come on now many of the top competitors in the equine world from jumpers, hunters, dressage horses and cutting horses ect travel cross country as a routine part of there jobs. so I am sure our minis/and ponies can do the same. Only differene is for there owners that is there job to so they dont have to worry so much about time off lol

Yeah Lisa... and those cutters and jumpers and dressage riders are going for HUGE purses and futurity monies, too!!!

Can't say there's much to showing the minis and ponies except for spending your entire year's worth of vacation hours and then thousands of dollars on top of that... just to GO and hope for a ribbon or two!
default_wink.png

Andrea

Andrea I totally understand you and others being frustrated. But I understand the other side too. How can the registry turn their back on the very farms that kept the Shetlands going for all these years? Do you make the minority happy or the majority? Its a tough call for sure. And I still believe no matter where you put it a lot of people wont be happy. There is just no way to make everyone happy.

I will say my futurity and ammy checks for showing at Congress were quite large. I honestly had no idea that the checks were that nice and I was one happy camper when I got them! And I only showed one pony

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back