Congress Locations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
other people, like me, will "graduate" to the ponies as they get more skill from the minis. You just can't go back to driving minis after driving a nice Classic (and ESPECIALLY after driving a Modern!), they seem so tiny and silly.

The ponies will grow as people double register those minis, as another venue to show them. People with Andrea

Well let me be the first to respectfully say OUCH that was pretty harsh. I have to say while this is a bit off topic I dont really find that people use the minis to get enough skill to move on to ponies or as a stepping stone. Having talked to several pony people now since we are learning and looking I can tell you I have found ponies no different then any other horses some owners are very knowledgeable some not so much

Have to also add that really I am not sure there is a huge difference in driving a nice 37 in mini which would be a 39-40 in pony and a 40-43 in pony. Sure there are some minis that are more amazing then many a pony and vice versa.

I am sure plenty of people drive both and enjoy doing so or they wouldnt own, drive and show both

Of course there are differences in driving a mini and a modern just as there are differences driving a draft or breed show or a ADS show.. one doesnt mean you have more knowledge then the other or that you are using it to get to another breed it just means you enjoy what you chose and many choose several different disciplines.

I do think that yes of course the Moderns are a whole different ballgame however saying they make minis feel silly is no different then a saddlebred person saying you are using your ponies to gain skill and move up to Saddlebreds. Bottom line is people have what they have cause that is what they want not cause they are looking to graduate up to another breed (JMO)Everyone has there own reasons and likes for the breeds they choose to be involved in.

While I am sure you didnt mean it like that I just think it can be rather insulting to assume that those who have minis are really only trying to "learn enough" to be able to own a pony when we all know in reality they are one and the same with the only difference being size , classic- foundation - mini... all started from the same thing

Last edited:
I always laugh when people say to me "oh your getting into ponies" umm we bought our first pony years and years ago. She was bought the same month we started in miniatures. Our very first show we showed pony and mini. I just think its just now that SOME people started noticing other people that own shetlands. Hope that makes sense.

But I am happy to see more people interested in the Shetlands :aktion033:

I have always loved both the shetlands and miniatures

And I agree with everything lisa said above
default_yes.gif
:

I talked this morning to one of our Area VI Club members who spoke last week with the management at the Lancaster Event Center.

The barn floors are now CONCRETE except in the area where the removable Warm Up Arena is in the center of the barn.

Now NO ONE can argue that this facility is dirty! It is now concrete inside and has always had paved parking lots!

Current target date for completion of the expansion is beginning of June 2008.

Please everyone who would like to see the Congress moved to Lincoln contact your director and send Tracey Slagle a letter too. There are some of the board who are trying to do everything they can to block any possibility of moving to this newly expanded, AIR CONDITIONED, centrally located, AFFORDABLE facilty!

Lewella,

I am NOT aware of anyone on the board trying to block anything ??? We are looking at any possibility .. I did write Tracey and ask for the info she had ,as you suggested ,, but never have received a reply ??

Actually it is the same distance for me to travel to NE. as it is for me to go to Gordyville, so makes no never mind as to the amount miles !!

My main concern as a board member is the cost $$$ bottom line.. And there are people on the East coast that would like to see it go more their way, people in Texas would like to see it , their way, people on the West coast their way..
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
: So not sure how to please everyone ?? I would just like to see it break even as to the cost..

Last edited by a moderator:
theres just no way you can make everyone happy no matter where it is. I do agree that we need something better then Gordyville as we are about to bulge out of that facility and a/c would be nice
default_smile.png
I really think until Congress gets a perm home it will be hard to grow this show bigger.

Belinda will the final decision be made at Convention?

If our small local clubs can make money hosting shows at the Lancaster Events Center I can see no reason why the Congress could not!

Plus like Kaykay pointed out - the Congress needs a permenant home where it has room to grow. There aren't a whole lot of facilities out there that can give us years to grow like the Lancaster Events Center can.

Belinda, if you haven't heard back from Tracey drop Judy Gottlob or Elli Verba an email. Elli is President of the Great Plains Club and should also have cost info.

Belinda,

Do you happen to have a rough estimate of when the final decision is going to be made as to where it will be held, will the exact dates be set at that time to?

I personally didnt have to many complaints about Gordyville, i can live with the little things and personally if its decided to host it there for a while longer i can live with that. But i completely understand why it should be moved.

I seen the layout for Lancaster, Congress (to me) will be Congress no matter where it is held at.

I would just like to know the where/when :saludando:

Honestly, I could care less where it is held, my only thing I would enjoy is AIR CONDITIONING!!!! And enough room down the isle to atleast walk comfortably through, or how about be able to get a cart through!

Jennifer

Ask Sanny how well a cart fits through the aisles at Lancaster! :bgrin

Hey

Just had a call and was told that the Dates for Congress have been reserved in Springfield Ohio,, Who knows anything about this one????? :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

At this rate I will not know where to go ???? I am not sure we will have enough judges to go to all these places... :eek: :eek:

Sorry I just find this :risa8: :risa8: :risa8: :new_rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Belinda

I have heard great things about this facility. It is fairly new and i believe air conditioned. this is where the amha show is held i think? Let me see if i can find a link to it

Hi Kay

Yes Springfield is the same place that A Regional's is held... Sorry about laughing so hard , but this Congress location is just getting out of hand !! I never knew that so many people would just go out and have a facilty hold dates on just the hope of a show going to that location.. I have heard of several other locations now that also are being looked at by other members.. It just sounds like instead of Where's Waldo .. """ WHERES'S CONGRESS""
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
: Got to find some humor somewhere
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

And to answer your question earlier Kay , yes I am sure that we will make some decision at the board meeting in New York as to where Congress will be held..

well sometimes ya just gotta laugh
default_smile.png

I posted before that I was told it was narrowed down to spfld ohio and indianna but who knows. Guess none of us will know until convention
default_wacko.png
:

heres the ohio facility in case anyone wants to look (*this facility doesnt look any bigger then gordyville? or is it just me?)

www.championscenter.net

Last edited:
I know the Nationals are unweldy in their lenght now, but I would like to see the Congress and Nationals combined also.

I have both Miniatures and Shetlands and have to pick which one to go to due to considerations such as time, cost and our willingness to make Two long trips! :no:

No matter what the location, I will still be a die-hard Congress exhibitor but.... I will certainly have to look at the logistics of taking as many horses as we have in the past. The past few years we have taken in excess of 20 head and have taken 2 rigs loaded with ponies and equipment. If the push to move the show to Lincoln is made, that will add almost 700 miles and 11 hours to my trip. Another point to consider is the dates of the World show and their close proximity to the Congress. The World show ends on Saturday, we return home on Sunday and have left for Congress on Tuesday. With the extra miles added on and the need for more rest I will have to leave for Congress on Monday at the latest. Sure doesn't leave much room for error (tired ponies, tired truck etc...). I hope they come up with something workable.

Well, I know I am the little kid on the block but I have just bought 2 ponies and was looking forward to going to Congress. Ohio is a good drive but the other location just will not be attainable for me with AMHR Nationals so close. I know what you all are saying about the new possible facility but on a selfish note I hope we do not move Congress. If Congress does move I guess I will be selling my ponies :no: There are very few shows around here ( NC ) that has any pony classes without driving a ways. With gas prices on the rise it is taking a toll on showing funds. Just hought I would throw my 2 cents in !!

Alison
Welcome to the world of those on the West Coast LOL

Well I am by no means a big pony person lol I am a big searching for the right pony person though
default_wacko.png
:

Would seem to me the most ideal thing ( in a perfect world) would be to rotate the congress location from the East to NE or somewhere simular.

I have heard many say it is hard to get a contract with a location and keep the spot - I am sure that is somewhat the case however I would think (especially for new venues looking to grow and market themselves) that being able to book every other year for a couple of years might work.

I think that bottom line the only way to see what will work is to have all those saying I would go if it was more central (and yes I am one of those) put there money where there mouth is.

Move it for one year and see if attendence truly goes up enough meaning by the leaps and bounds like it would if all those on the yahoo groups and such talking about this and saying they would go really do.

If they all go great Congress might make a profit and would be a big show.. making more of a market for the ponies therefore everyone happy (or happier )

If they dont show up and dont put there money where there mouth is.. making it a HUGE congress bigger then the likes of one ever seen before (again by the numbers of people talking about it and thinking the board is holding out on them) then guess that would solve the issue... those that go all the time can then go back to what is convienent for them knowing they gave everyone the chance by moving it to make a difference.

Just my little opinion from someone who isnt in to ponies and just knows exactly what I want and am waiting for that right pony to come into our life and our barn. (and then of course to congress)

Last edited:
Move it for one year and see if attendence truly goes up enough meaning by the leaps and bounds like it would if all those on the yahoo groups and such talking about this and saying they would go really do.

If they all go great Congress might make a profit and would be a big show.. making more of a market for the ponies therefore everyone happy (or happier )

If they dont show up and dont put there money where there mouth is.. making it a HUGE congress bigger then the likes of one ever seen before (again by the numbers of people talking about it and thinking the board is holding out on them) then guess that would solve the issue... those that go all the time can then go back to what is convienent for them knowing they gave everyone the chance by moving it to make a difference.
That was the reason they moved it to St. Louis, and the attendance DIDN'T go up, not to mention it was a huge negative in the account for that show. The idea of the show is to cater to the most possible and hope that the rest come! And then the big idea is to make money while doing it. I will go wherever it is regardless of distance, like Lisa S, I would love to have some a/c in the bathrooms...

I personally NEVER understood the move to St. Louis. I'd been to that facility for an Area IV show a couple of years before and was not impressed. It certainly wasn't much (if any) improvement over Gordyville as far as dirt and dust goes. It certainly wasn't worth the $20 per stall increase in stall fees (particularly since that was just what the club was paying and they weren't even making a few bucks off stall fees like they always had at Gordyville!). The huge early move in fee per stall kept some of the further away people away also and made others rethink their plans and reduce the number of animals they took to that Congress.

Lincoln has air conditioned bathrooms, air conditioned locker rooms, air conditioned arena, air conditioned offices, air conditioned concessions area, and the barns can even be air conditioned! :lol:

Latest posts

Back