Listerine, Baby Oil...what other Household items

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinkky

Reaction score
I enjoyed the other thread about the different uses for Listerine in the horse world.

What other household items do you use? How much do you use or what ratio.

I've heard of:

baby powder for whitening white.

baby oil for shinning faces.

and now Listerine for itches.

I'm sure there have to be more. Please Share!
default_yes.gif
:

well, there's coconut maccaroon cookies for diarrhea. (sorry for the visual)

and i THINK it was... baking soda? maybe? that helped with getting stiff new halters to soften up.

cleaning detergent (such as OXY) for tail whitening.

umm.. okay i have like a thousand of these, but i don't rembember any more right now!
default_unsure.png
: i'll add them once i remember.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

This is a barn item. Helps with the trimming of horses:

To get the V on the horses back.

Use binder twyne, or heavy string, put it under the tail cross it into size of V hold and trim. Works

For foals enema syringe with dish soap and water half and half, fill up as much as they will take and stand back.
default_wacko.png
:

W-D40 for really hard to get out purrs just on tails

Always conditioner after shampooing a horse down, any we use on ourselves, can work.

I am still looking for that miricle for white tails??????????????????

I think I have tryed everything, must be something out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a barn item. Helps with the trimming of horses:

To get the V on the horses back.

Use binder twyne, or heavy string, put it under the tail cross it into size of V hold and trim. Works

For foals enema syringe with dish soap and water half and half, fill up as much as they will take and stand back.
default_wacko.png
:

W-D40 for really hard to get out purrs just on tails

Always conditioner after shampooing a horse down, any we use on ourselves, can work.

I am still looking for that miricle for white tails??????????????????

I think I have tryed everything, must be something out there?
Wow.. I never thought of that! I always have a hard time getting my Vs straight. Thanks so much for sharing the tip! :aktion033:

We sue "blue" DAWN dishwashing soap -- it is antibacterial also. It will whiten eally well, and if you have the scruffy & flaky skin probel, I have heard it will help with that as well.

Also, if you have dogs-- use it to bathe them as well.

Plain old vaseline for any type of cuts, etc.... (once they have scabbed over) We have used this for over 35 years on everything from minor wounds to fairly large ones. We use Farnam Wonder Dust while the wound is icky, then once it scabs, you can use plain Vaseline or for any kind of wire cuts- we make a paste out of the Dust and Vaseline. Keeps scarring, white hair and proud flesh away.

By the way, we have always used plain Vaseline for all our cowboys gear here- smear it on and set it out in the sun (must be good and HOT out) and the leather sucks it in and stays supple for YEARS. I have never used anything else on my gear.

karo syrup for horses not feeling good (off feed) or for horses getting meds

oops forgot the coconut maccaroon cookies for a horse with diarhea. never seen anything work as fast as coconut

also yogurt for horses with ulcers or horses on meds

tagament for ulcers

Last edited:
Desitin for wounds, and for doggy hot spots.

Also for dogs, green palmolive will murder fleas instantly.

I use the black shoe polish underneath the coat of black hoof polish and if you buff it enough and your horse's hooves are smooth enough, it looks ok the way it is (not as patent shiny, but nice enough, IMO) sometimes for some occcasions. It helps to cover up the area near the hairline on the black/dark-legged horses so it doesn't show as a grey or whitish line between the hair and the hoof black.

oh and the non-alcohol baby wipes are great for at shows and/or in the barn for wiping goopy eyes or dabbing something off in a pinch. I keep them in my show tote and in my barn.

default_smile.png

Liz M.

Wow...what great ideas. I love the one about the vaseline on leather. Never would of thought of that one!
default_smile.png

If you think of anymore...add them on!

Spray on furniture polish used on dry hair works as well as any expensive mane and tail conditioner for hard to brush out tails.

kate

We use electrical insulation tape to wrap round mare's tails before covering by the stallion and scanning, instead of tail bandages. Easy and quick to put on figdety mares, easily removed, instantly disposable and no risk of cross contamination! Can also pick a coordinating color for discerning mares
default_wink.png
:

Kate

Baby whips also help for that quick whitening at a show.

I used this trick on a blue roan. Since he had icky black legs I used black horse spray paint (can get at almost any tack shop) and I also used it on his hooves. It kept a nice solid black color all the way down and I didnt get a line between hoof and leg.

Also, dont use armor-all on cart seats or on riding saddles. My sister did this on her saddle when she was frist showing, VVOOOOOOOOMMM off the side she went. From that I dont use it on my cart seat, Id rather stay in.

What is a "baby whip"????

Use steradent tablets (for artificial teeth soaking) to get the yellow out of a white tail- make it up, soak the tail and, if the horse will let you, tie a bag round the tail- I use a carrier bag but you could use a smaller less crackly one if the horse is spooky,

Then just leave it- I do overnight if the horse is stalled- it usually drops off overnight but that's OK.

Wash out in the morning and condition well and the yellow is gone!!

Hahahaha, I am sure they meant 'baby WIPES'!! :bgrin Unless there is something else going on that we need to know about!

Yep, Baby "wet wipes" are GREAT! Use them to remove show make-up.....AND on goopy eyes.

Black shoe polish on hooves. I use Suave brand human shampoo and conditioner on horses all the time.

Human "Blue-ing" shampoo works well on white horses.

Kayro and Molasass to mix meds into and to also encourage pooping.

Human Pepto for diarrhea

The human Fleet brand infant enema for newborn foal's

Gravy Baster for administering mineral oil to a colicy horse (only with a vet's guidance or approval)

Bounce Laundry Sheets wiped over a horse's face and back is a quick one day fly repellent.

Corn or Vegetable oil added to their grain helps give their coat a nice shine (much like using "BOSS", but probably not as effective.)

Human Baby Sunblock on pink skinned horse noses in summer.

MA

PS: Just remembered another! The human Saline Solution for flushing a horse's eyes.

Another PS: We use an inexpensive coffee bean grinder to grind up horse pills, such as SMZ tabs to either mix into their grain or add to water and kayro to shoot into their mouths, via a gravy baster........<smile>

Last edited by a moderator:
cornucrescine for growing a strong hoof, vicks for putting in a stallion's nostril when you don't want him getting "manly", murphys soap for cleaning tack, dippity doo for keeping manes in place.

Yvonne

Just remember, at least at AMHA shows that black spray is not legal! You can only color the mane and tail.

I'm going to bump this back up to the top as I think more people may yet come on and add some more things.

I'm glad you are not into whipping babies!!!

I'll also add- Microfibre dusters- they are useful for just about EVERYTHING_ I keep wet ones dry ones and ones soaked in baby oil and wrung out in bags- it's really all I need to take to the ringside and will at a push fit in my pocket.

chuckles at baby whipping!

A smear of cornuscresine (did I spell it right) on bald patches (after scab drops off) gets the hair growing back incredibly quickly!

Kate

Actually I use it for loads of things but I am not sure it is available in the U.S??

I have used it to keep flies off open wounds and to heal without white hair forming.

I have used it to stop chewing- it tastes FOUL- it also woks on children biting nails and helps the nails grow!

Latest posts

Back