On the subject of wormers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]With as many horses as we have, we don't use paste wormer often. I find it much easier (and cheaper) to use the liquids. You mix them in feed or often just top dress the grain. I can deworm a barn full of horses in minutes at feeding time (with great accuracy).[/SIZE]

If you have used Safe-Guard or equivalent products Safe-Guard Suspension

That bottle will treat 196 (250 lb) horses at a cost of 55 CENTS per horse. This is the same drug as Panacur wormer!

We also use the liquid (injectable) Ivermectrin ORALLY/top dressed on feed in rotation with the Safe-Guard.

I am not a vet, but am a 15 year plus breeder with lots of experience worming young-uns to very, very oldies
default_yes.gif
: I have lost one weaning filly to roundworm impaction, due to Ivermectrin's "supposed" effectiveness against roundworms. Since I started this program, I have had no more issue with parasites.

Yes thats a great and easy way to worm have been doing that for the last few years and the cost is almost half then buying the tubes and no waste or spit outs. For 40 some minis at 16-18 bucks up here a tube that really adds up over the year for paste. :eek:

Laura you probably remember the days when all we did was tube worm before the paste wormers came out.

That was when I would give the horses "the worm shot", the injectable and it was amazing the money that was saved in lew of paste worming a whole barn of quarter horses.

This is a good idea you have there Laura.

Good idea - I've used the paste forever but I'm always open to suggestion. Ivermectin paste has come down in price so much since the "gold" came out, you can find it in the neighborhood of $4 now - $1 per horse if you get 4 out of a tube.

I remember when we wormed with a little package of tiny blue pellets, before the days of paste wormer. I had a quarter mare who could sort through her grain and leave every single pellet in the feed pan.
default_smile.png
These were smaller than a grain of rice!

Jan

We sure can't get ivermectin for anywhere near $4 a tube here, not even $4 US. Like Relic said, we pay $17 to $20 per tube of paste.

Last time we dewormed we used the liquid ivermectin (injectable Ivomec and Noromectin) and on the herd saved $100+-- cost me $112 compared to $216+ for what we needed. It worked real well too.

Well I just got the ok from my vet to use the SafeGuard Suspension to do a 5 day treatment on all my guys.

The dose for the 5 day is 4.6 ML per 100 pounds for 5 consecutive days. I figured the math and ordered 2 of the 1 liter bottles from Valley Vet. Still way cheaper than the paste, especially for a 5 day treatment on 17 horses.
default_yes.gif
:

This doesn't save as much money as what you do, but I have used the generic Ivermectin products for years and years. I always overdose my horses. I am a worry wart. I just taped one of my geldings (3yo Skipper) to see that the tape says he weighs about 190. I dose him usually for 400#... I may tape all of them to get a better feel as to how much I am really overdosing (since more Ivermectin will NOT hurt but too little does NO good).

So, I basically deworm 3 horses per tube with a "bigger" mini getting the last dose which is for 450 vs. 400 pounds. I'm thinking actually, I could deworm 4 per tube and still be giving them more than they need.

Since it's come out, I've been using Bimectin, which is clear (that freaked me out at first, actually worried could Quest have been mislabled...) and it supposedly tastes good. It's the same concentration of Ivermectin, so should be just as good as the kind I could pay $11/tube for and taste better. I think I got it for about $3.75 a tube and I bought a years worth at once.

So, on the high end for me, it's less than $1.33 per horse, and if I do scale back, less than $1/horse.

I have always used the liquid Fenbendazole- but I would never use it instead of Ivermectin as it only really clears roundworm and, in the five day course, encysted small strongyles, which are very nasty and very dangerous.

So...I do the five day course twice a year as that is what my area requires, and the rest of the time I use Ivermectin, which is still the most effective chemical for everything else.

Praziquantel once a year for Tapeworms is a must in most areas, too.

It is good to know I can use the Ivermec/Noromec injectable orally- that will make things a lot easier,although I still preferr to shoot it straight down the horse throat as I do not feed individually.

Great post - We have been using the SafeGuard suspension for several years now -

Laura, we had also been faithfully deworming our foals monthly with ivermecterin and we had a few foals several years ago that were not looking "thrifty". So we decided to switch wormers as it seemed to me that they had worms.

After treating these foals with the liquid Safeguard, I was "shocked" at how many worms they passed - So now, we rotate deworming the foals monthly with Safeguard, and Ivermecterin at minimum - and have experienced zero problems and no worm load. Valuable Lesson learned.

We also use the Safeguard liquid for the five day double dose worming each year - It has sure made a difference for us and is a great way to save some $$$$.

Good info Laura - I used liquid Ivomec for many, many years and still do if it's cheaper, lately by being able to get Ivermectin paste for sometimes 2.99 through Jeffers and as an average 4.00 it's cheaper for me to do it that way. I do use the Safe Guard suspension though and it is a great money saver.

One thing to new comers regarding Ivomec..the liquid injectable Ivermectin for cattle which we give Orally DO NOT Buy the IVOMEC PLUS. I always worry about newbies trying old time remedies that we use that are not labeled for equine use.

Now on the Tape worms... for over 15 years I've use a Double dose of Strongid paste (Pyrantal Pamoate)once a year if I suspected those. For the last 6 years I've used the daily wormer. On foals I do the every 30 days rotating like like Getitia said -I learned that here many years ago maybe from you Getitia! I don't give the foals ivermectin in the begining though only Safe Guard then start the iver around 3 months and rotate, by then they eat well on their own and are eating some of the daily wormer. Since I've been doing this no more rough coated or pot bellied looking foals all fill out nicely and have a good cushy topline. One thing I have learned by doing fecals is once you do the purge (either with the liquid or the cattle dose paste) and your horses are on a good daily worming program I have been able to give it every other day and that saves money too.

edited spelling and I probably missed some.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I use liquid wormers as much as possible as they are generally more cost effective and way easier and more accurate to dose than paste, in my opinion. I always have liquid Panacur or Safeguard on hand. I was using liquid ivermectin until I discovered the need to deworm for tapes with praziquantel and it's only available in a paste form with ivermectin that I've found so far. So I use paste there. I also use paste pyrantel pamoate, but would much prefer that in liquid form if it was feasible.

default_smile.png

I still use the paste but have toyed with the liquid idea. Where do you buy it and what exactly do you use. All I ever seem to see at the local feed stores is for cattle. Can you order it through Jeffers or Valley Vet or similar?
Yes, this should be it
default_smile.png
Ivomec Injectable

Equitape is Prazinquantel on it's own, not sure if you can get it in the states or not.

So, where do you all get the Safeguard/Panacur suspension? Happened to have a new Jeffers catalog on my desk; neither is listed there....Is either or both available through any of the other livestock supply catalogs?

(Doing a two-day, double-dose of Strongid P, is also supposed to do a good job of deworming for tapeworms.)

I've never tried the injectable oral ivermectins. I buy the oral liquid from my vet and find it really easy to use and dose...I sure like that they don't spit back! Laura, thanks for the site for the liquid safegaurd!

Where do you all get the Safeguard/Panacur suspension? I just got my new Valley Vet & can`t seem to find it???? I have the new Early Spring Valley Vet Supply catalog. I don`t see it with the other wormers. Is it a special order or a prescription order? Thanks
default_yes.gif
:

Where do you all get the Safeguard/Panacur suspension?
The last I bought came from Agri Med. It's at a really good price right now! 1000ml bottle. Non prescription.

Where do you all get the Safeguard/Panacur suspension?
The last I bought came from Agri Med. It's at a really good price right now! 1000ml bottle. Non prescription.

I have never heard of them. DO you have an e-mail, phone # or a web site? Thanks

Latest posts

Back