Worm those babies!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ivermectin is not safe (or at least not recommended) for foals under 12 weeks.

Fenbendazole (Panacur/ Safeguard) is safe for foals .

The poo the foal eats may still contain Ivermectin residue when the (very young) foals eat Mamas poo.

This thread is interesting but has not given me any overwhelming desire to worm my mares with Ivermectin on the day that they foal!!!!

It is definitely not a "necessity" providing the mare is on a good, sensible worming programme- I do wish people would not "scare monger" in cases like this.

It is just possible that some of these cases of foal colic and ulcers in very young foals- that I do not get, incidentally- could be the result of the foals being exposed to Ivermectin far too young.

The foals newborn digestive system is a very delicate thing indeed- we are warned about Bute in the mares milk, antibiotics in the mares milk, etc, etc.

We really do need to think hard about what we put into the mares system at this difficult time.
default_smile.png

A friend of mine just lost his month old filly. 1st vet said tapeworm, second said obstruction in the intestine. Either way, he lost a beautiful little girl. He's heartsick.

Latest posts

Back