Helpful Hints for foaling season....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to add that if your mare is still in her winter woolies, its best to shave her belly and down a bit on the legs so the foal won't have so much trouble finding the teats among all that hair.

Another very important reason for shaving that long winter hair away from the mare's belly & rear leg area, is because the mares are usually shedding by the handfuls by the time they foal. Many foals will ingest so much of this hair while searching for the teats, that they will get hairballs in their little tummies & make them colic. There have even been foals who have died from this! I usually shave the entire belly, halfway up the sides, and rear legs on winter-coated mares.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for the tip it's the one thing I was gonna write in and ask about. Another Q how far in advance woudl you do this? A week, month what?

Another Q as I haven't seen it posted.

What about other vaccinations and meds besides the wormer? That would be a handy thing I'd think to have on hand. I will add I've saved a bunch of this info!

Hi!
default_unsure.png
: I was just woundering if you give the Banamine in the vein or would it be ok to give it in the muscle? I know it takes longer if given in the muscle... But I'm not a comfortable about giving a vein shot? And "when exactly" are you suppose to milk the mare? So you have a bottle of the mare's milk to give the to baby?

Thanks!!!
default_blush.png
:

My vet actually recommends giving the injectable banamine orally. I've found it works just fine. I also don't like to give vein shots, even though I've been an ER nurse for years and know the technique I just don't like risking infection.

We have given the Ivermectin to mares at foaling, and always use Ivermectin within 30 days before foaling. This year I'm giving the liquid Ivermectin to my difficult mares in their grain after foaling.

As for the Banamine, we give it orally and have for years. I'm not going to do IV - I want healthy veins should the vet need them and find the liquid orally given works really fast.

Sandy, you can milk the mare if the foal isn't up and nursing right away - 20-30 cc's is really good, even a smaller amount to give them the taste and we'll put some directly on the nipple too. You don't want to give it liquids if its still down (especially on its side). We'll hold a foal up if need be and syringe very slowly in their mouth. If you can't milk the mare, a bit of Karo (10 cc) works as it gives the foal energy to 'search' for nipple too. (Maxim does the milking here - he's much better than I am)

Also if you have a real milk cow mare, milk some of the colstrum too, and store in a ziplock baggie in the freezer.

I wanted to share this since it has happened to me. If you mare will not let the new one eat. You can buy a large syringe(no needle), cut the syringe top off, then take the plunger out of the syringe and insert into the cut off end. If you put some lubricant on the other end this will act as a breast pump if needed.

This saved my little colt and a few others in the area last year. My mare's bag was so full the foal couldn't get hold of the bag. Milking her out lessened the bag so the baby could get a hold.

Good Luck

Traci

We have given the Ivermectin to mares at foaling, and always use Ivermectin within 30 days before foaling. This year I'm giving the liquid Ivermectin to my difficult mares in their grain after foaling.

As for the Banamine, we give it orally and have for years. I'm not going to do IV - I want healthy veins should the vet need them and find the liquid orally given works really fast.

Sandy, you can milk the mare if the foal isn't up and nursing right away - 20-30 cc's is really good, even a smaller amount to give them the taste and we'll put some directly on the nipple too. You don't want to give it liquids if its still down (especially on its side). We'll hold a foal up if need be and syringe very slowly in their mouth. If you can't milk the mare, a bit of Karo (10 cc) works as it gives the foal energy to 'search' for nipple too. (Maxim does the milking here - he's much better than I am)

Also if you have a real milk cow mare, milk some of the colstrum too, and store in a ziplock baggie in the freezer.
Michelle,

You do EXACTLY what we do.

Our immediate steps after taking care of the newborn is to quickly give the mare a half dose of banamine AND her Ivermectin ..... then she's given something to eat.
default_yes.gif
:

MA

I do the after foaling worming a little bit differently. I prefer to wait until my mares pass their first manure before worming. I've had some mares that have actually develped an impaction colic after foaling and I feel deworming them before their intestinal tract is back to normal could have some adverse effects. Again, just my personal opinion and I do always deworm after foaling, just wait until they pass manure.

Hi everyone :bgrin,

I am new here and was wanting some advise. So far we are following our vet's advise and though he is highly recomended, he doesn't have any mini's himself. I am very big on experiences and the 2% as it always happens to us. The doctor will say "Oh no that never happens" and wham it happens to us. I am off today to buy a couple of the books recomended on this thread. Barbie (our mini) is 10 and is due on April 15th. The vet says she is doing fine with the exercise we give her and the nutrition we are providing her with. We feed her grass hay and give her a suppliment each day. I asked him about grain and he said not until the last 30 days and thru lactation. Well I have had a lot of advise from friends that have horses, but not mini's. Examples: Feed grain for the entire pregnancy, only feed grain the last 1/3, then some agree with the vet. To suppliment with grain or not to.
default_wacko.png
: I have found out over the last year that one rule just doesn't seem to apply to every horse, so I thought I would ask to see what some of you are doing or have done with your mares to keep them healthy and happy and in shape for foaling. Thanks for your input. Amy

I'd be interested to know the feeding part too. In cattle you feed them up until the last trimester and back off a bit as that is the one trimester where the calf grows the most and pouring it to them, will make them have a big calf and could possible cause prob delievering. Are horses that way?

What would be the equivalant of Benamine here in Ireland does anyone know?? Also, I try to have the tetanus anti toxin ready for all foals as even when mares are vaccinated they can still get tetanus. And in between checks and sleeping I read Theresa Jones wonderfully helpful website and email her if I have a worry as she is the most knowledgeable person I know and always reply within a few hours. (Obviously I`m not talking about emergency veterinary worries but signs of pending foaling etc.) :)

default_wub.png
:

THROUGH THIS FOALING SEASON REMEMBER THIS AND CHERISH EACH AND EVERYONE EVERY DAY.

I'll Lend You A Foal

I'll lend you for a little while

My grandest foal, He said.

For you to love while she's alive

And mourn for when she's dead.

It may be one or twenty years,

Or days or months, you see.

But will you, till I take her back

Take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charms to gladden you,

And should her stay be brief

You'll have her treasured memories

As solance for your grief.

I can't promise how long the stay,

Since all from earth return.

But there are lessons taught on earth

That from this special foal you'll learn.

I've looked the wide world over

In my search for teachers true.

And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes

With trust, I've chosen you.

Now will you give her all your love?

Nor think the labor vain,

Nor hate me when I come

To take her back again?

I know you'll give her tenderness

And love will bloom each day.

And for the happiness you've known

You will forever grateful stay.

But should I come and call for her

Much sooner than you planned,

You'll brave the bitter grief that comes

And then you'll understand......

They are special needing little souls

That give more than they take,

But leave behind their tiny hoofprints

on our heart,

To forever trot on past their wake.

The Complete Book of Foaling should be in everyone's hands and re-read it every year before foaling season as a reminder of the important things.

Most of all, watch your mare, be with her for delivery, and watch mare and foal even after birth.

A monitor and a Breeder Alert or a device similar are your best tools for helping. Be alert and ready for everything that comes your way. Vet's number handy and a way of transporting the mare or mare and foal if there are problems.

Well stocked foaling kit and enjoy the birth. :saludando:

I foal mine out in the barn under a heat lamp and don't towel dry the babies so I don't have to worry about changing the scent at all. Handling the foal as little as possible until the mare has had a chance to check it out is the best way to go without risking her rejecting it. Something for a new to foaling person to realize is that it usually happens fairly quickly and if it isn't there is usually something wrong. Something else to think about is that if you hover and keep checking on the mare repeatedly she will likely hang onto the foal and wait till you leave to go down. That is why cameras are so great - you can keep a watch on the mare without disturbing her and maybe preventing her from foaling. Once she is down and the foal is on its way you can then slip down to the barn and be there. It is really important to treat the navel against infection once the cord breaks - check with your vet for what he recommends and have it on hand. I put it in a shot glass and press it up against the belly to make sure it is well dunked!
What is to be used on the navel?? I remember seeing that some medication was to harsh and could burn but I can't find my article.

What is to be used on the navel?? I remember seeing that some medication was to harsh and could burn but I can't find my article.

Some people use a gentle iodine and others prefer Nolvasan.

MA

My vet wants me to use the 7% for the stump. He said the iodine spray I bought was not strong enough. He said the stuff he gave me will sting them a bit, but it was necessary to prevent infection and proper drying up of the stump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here we go...Sorry, its going to be a long one...

Another tip for finger nails. If you are like some people and you like keeping your nails long or you have an unexpected premature delivery and don't have time to clip them down....Be sure to keep large cotton balls with your gloves. Just stuff a cotton ball in each finger tip of the glove and put them on. I usually keep a few pairs of them already put together in the foaling and first aide kits just in case.

I also keep one of the long tiped "booger suckers" that are made for babies in the foaling kit. (sorry I can't think of the name for them) It great for helping to clear out nasal passages.

It is also a good idea to have a back up vet on speed dial. Last year we had a breech that I was having trouble turning. And my vet was on another call. Very scary situation...Luckly after a few minutes of push and pull with the foal we got him out.

If it is still pretty cool outside we keep a red bulbed heat lamp on the top of the stall. It helps warm the stall up pretty quickly for the everyone.

Vet wrap....You can never have enough vet wrap around. When it looks like one of the mare's will be foaling with in the next few days or so, I keep their tail braided and vet wrap the top 6 inches or so of it. I also change the vet wrap every day until the foal is born.

Warm water and washcloths are a great thing to have around also. Before I turn in for the night I wash the mare's vulva and teets off. This way I know they are clean and ready to go. Then after the mare has finished foaling, I wash her up again to get any sweat and other fluids off of her.

I also take and put the placenta into a plastic grocery sack, and then tie that to the mare's tail to keep her from stepping on it. It also helps cut down on mucking after the birth.

And last but not least. Try to find a surrogent mare in your area. Or one that prouduces large amounts of milk. Three years ago one of the mare was not producing enough milk. Thankfully we had another mare that foaled before her who produced enough for 2 or 3 foals. I would milk the doner mare several times a day and bottle feed the foal with a mixture of her milk and some of mom's.

Also, if you should ever loose a mare, and you have another mare due to foal shortly after...Milk your lost mare. Feed the foal a mixture of it's mother milk, and the possible surrogent mare's milk. When the surrogent mare finally foals, bring in the orphan and rub them down good with the placenta, and let it lay across their back for a few minutes so the smell really sets in. Let the mare smell her own foal first, and accept it. Then let her smell the orphan foal, and pray that she will take it also. If she shows any signs of rejection to the orphan foal, take them out immediately!

If you have a mare that supposedly has had a foal or 2 pulled and supposedly has had a dwarf.... SEND HER TO THE VET'S PLACE TO BE FOALED OUT! I've never had to pull a foal since we've only just started foaling with the 2006 season but I do have a mare that supposedly has had to have foals pulled on her.... We're sending her to the vet's place to foal out since there's more she can do than we can. I really don't want to risk loosing this mare, she's a really sweet mare, and her foal since this is the last foal she'll have.

Latest posts

Back