What is a CDE Event?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastrack

Reaction score
I see CDE Event listed as one of the activities for acquring Amateur Companion Horse Program points. I've combed the pamphet but haven't found any other reference to it.

I noticed it within the Equus magazine article post ...

"...harnessed in proper CDE style with all harness fitting well..."

but I still can't figure out what CDE stands for.

wacko.gif
(Love that smiley...seems I'll be using it often this year!)

Thank you SkipsMom!!

I visited the website. Combined Event Driving looks like great FUN!

I haven't seen any in my limited show attendance this summer. Is it an unsanctioned event?

Are there any events in the midwest?

I would love to attend one.

I haven't seen any in my limited show attendance this summer. Is it an unsanctioned event?
laugh.gif
new_shocked.gif
aktion033.gif
biggrin.gif

Hehe, sorry, I shouldn't be giggling. I'm not laughing AT you, I swear!
wink.gif
The American Driving Society is the original driving society, probably (I'm too lazy to check) far predating any of the mini organizations. THEY laughed at US when we first tried to compete at the CDE's! Can't blame them- here they are, used to four-in-hands of imported Hanoverians, and we show up with our little tiny horses and claim we can do marathon as well as they can. I would have been snickering too...except that I've driven a mini. These little guys can outlast any Hanoverian (or Friesian or TB or QH) ever born.
aktion033.gif

So no, while these are not AMHA/AMHR sanctioned they are certainly formalized events under the control of a national organization with rules and standards and all sorts of traditions. They aren't an event like a single class at a show, they are three day competitions like a triathalon for driven horses. There are world level competitions held in Europe just like there are for ridden three day eventing. (Not that the minis are allowed anywhere near it yet.) It's so cool! You've just got to come see one.

Check previous posts on here by using the search feature and looking for CDE. There should be quite a few and you'll learn a lot.

Leia

Edited to add: Sorry, just figured out why I was giggling so hard. It was the mental image of the expression on the face of any big-horse ADS member if you ever implied that they needed the blessing/sanction of the mini societies! Oh dear. LOL. They think we're a joke and would not take kindly to that.
rolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong, many of them have developed a lot of respect for the minis and are glad to see us there. But snobbishness still rules in some circles and honestly I understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all your help...I've got some researching to do.

I haven't figured our this quote thing, Leia, or I would have quoted you on your mental image. lol I'm picturing myself arriving at a snobbish 'society' drivers and I jump out my little team of mini's on competition day.

I couldn't help chuckling at the thought!

Just wanted to say that here in Arizona, the AZ driving and carriage society is VERY welcome to minis doing ADT/CDE's! We have a BLAST at it, and Chili and I get the fastest cones courses of ALL horses, including the big guys and the haflingers that dominate AZ driving events ;)

Jessi

Here are some photos of a CDE that I went to at the end of April in Lockhart, TX. I positioned myself at the vet checks and at the water hazard to snap photos.

I apparently missed out on seeing the mini's performing....Sorry about that....anyway...Hope you all enjoy the pics.

CDE is definitely something I could get into...looks like a ton of fun!

Lori

default_yes.gif

00150010.jpg

00150011.jpg

00150012.jpg

00150013.jpg

00150014.jpg

00150015.jpg

00150016.jpg

00150017.jpg

00150018.jpg

00150019.jpg

00150020.jpg

00150021.jpg

00150023.jpg

00150024.jpg

Thanks Krazee bout Kasspur! Those pictures are great. CDE looks so fun. But first I have to get my girl hitched.
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back