Favorite homemade soup!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billiethekid40

Reaction score
Seems most people here prefer home made soup, so lets share our favorite recipes! I wish I could share my chicken one, but its kinda done all by instinct
rolleyes.gif

I add chicken (whole or breats) and cook till tender in water with salt, pepper and garlic powder. While its cooking I cut my veggies (oinion, carrot, celery) when the chicken is cooked I remove it and add the veggies and a couple handfulls of instant rice to the water to cook and let the chicken cool enough to handle it and pick the meat off the bones. I add the meat back to the water, add more water and salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste and cook until the veggies are tender. My best results yet have been with one of those tiny chickens, after we thought we had all the meat off for supper I threw it in a pot. It was amazing how much more meat came off that tiny bird! And what great tasting soup from the bones!

So share your favorites!

That sounds yummy ---
wub.gif
yes.gif

I made some soup the other weekend that turned out quite nice.

I have a 6 quart crock pot

I put chicken in the crock pot (cuts of your choice) with herbs (poultry spices and greek seasonings-- I can give you the actual list if you want it) until it smells good (so your favorites here) -- with water -- and cook until the chicken is 90% done.

I remove the chicken and debone it - saving the bones and some of the stock to make another pot of chicken stock later for another soup.

In the mean time - I cooked fresh broccoli tops in the microwave -- I put in a cup of the chicken stock in the bowl with it - and some of the same herbs. I cook the broccoli until it is getting tender.

Sometimes I cook up fresh mushrooms to add in -- but this time I used canned mushrooms - 2 big cans because we love them.

Added cooked broccoli, mushrooms and the fluids from cooking them into the pot with the deboned chicken -- then added 3 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup (also good with Cream of Chicken Mushroom soup -- into the crock pot and stirred - added 1/2 stick of butter (not margarine) -- stirred well -- and added in 2-3 soup cans of half/half cream.

Don't let it boil -- but cook it until everything is "done" -- THEN THE REAL SECRET

Put the crock pot and contents in the refridgerator overnight... and serve the NEXT DAY -- everything melds somehow by then... absorbs the spices etc.. you can either heat up the whole pot -- and serve -- or dish out servings and warm up in the microwave - make sure that it does NOT BOIL -- heat slowly

YUMMY too - this is one of my best experiments. A good Low Carb soup

JJ

Well, I figured I couldn't answer the other post because I don't have a favortire canned soup and the last tiem I bought canned soup ....well...come to think of it....I don't remember the last time I bought canned soup. But I can't really answer completely here either. We have a family recipe that has been handed down for generations and it is for vegetable soup. That is my favorite, takes two days to make it and then we eat it for two days. But, i can't share the recipe.

i have a wonderful chicken/turkey soup recipe if anyone needs one that I can share.

[SIZE=14pt]Mine is beef and cabbage soup. In a pot I brown stew beef adding steak seasoning and paprika.... Add to that 1 large can or bottle of tomato soup and one can or bottle eqaul to it of water. Cup up a small head of cabbage in small pieces and add , bring to a boil and then simmer for at least an hour. longer is better. also a low carb selection.[/SIZE]

Lyn

My all-time favorite homemade soup is this:

Pho bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

(this description is somewhat vague, I can get my notes and get the exact recipe if anyone so desires).

Take a fairly fat-free piece of meat and sear it on all sides like you would for a pot roast.

Then fill a large stockpot w/8 c. of beef broth.

Add cinnamon sticks, star anise, peppercorns.

Bring to a boil then simmer for two hours.

When it's close to done, you add cooked rice noodles (the kind like you use in pad thai, they are very easy to prepare), blanched bean sprouts, sliced shallots, cilantro and very thinly shaved, tender beef to a dish.

Pour the very hot/boiling soup over top of the beef and noodles and then serve (the meat from the first step can also be sliced and added to the dish).

This soup has a lot of flavor, and is pretty good for you.

Yummmm.

Liz M.

My corn chowder:

4 cooked chicken breasts

1 lb. cooked and crumbled bacon -reserve 2 tbls bacon grease to add to soup

4 cans of Cream of Corn

16 to 32 0z. Whole Corn (Frozen)

1 to 1-1/2 cups milk

1/2 to 1 cup water

I mix it all togeather put it in my crockpot on low. Salt and pepper to taste. It is a very heavy soup so it fills you up.

Latest posts

Back