Nugget

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got Nugget at the sale in October, my sister picked up a little mare in rather poor condition. Since Nugget is not working out for me, we traded horses. Nugget prefers being ridden and her grand daughter is having a good time with him. So now I have Midnight to see if she will work in harness. She is very refined, but a nice height smidnight and bag.jpg o I think she will be fine in the cart. I will be starting from scratch with her, as she barely knows how to lead. But she seems very sweet and agreeable so we are hopeful. But--we noticed her tummy is very round. uh oh. I have an appt on Wednesday to have her ultrasounded. Meanwhile, Dapper Dan is showing her all his favorite places to hang out and they seem very compatible.
The photo is of Midnight, my great niece, and "the plastic bag test".

Black minis are the best!
(Don't tell Dapper Dan and Cappy I said that though)
How big is she? Any idea of her age?
If she is in foal, maybe you will end up with TWO new driving horses, maybe they will be a matched pair :)
It sounds as if Nugget and your niece are made for each other. Some things have a way of working out!

When her teeth were done last fall the vet said 4. She is about the size of DD--he is 32". But he looks like an elephant next to her as she is very refined. Her head is so tiny, I am hoping I have equipment to fit her. May need to buy a smaller bit.
I am hoping she is not pregnant. Too many unknowns in her past. It worked out with Candace for MajorClem, but I probably wouldn't be as lucky.
I have had good experiences with black ones, too!

Ponied Midnight with Dapper Dan today. She did great. When we got back I tried the bridle on her. I may need to punch another hole when she gets clipped. But it fits pretty well. She mouthed it a little but wasn't too concerned. If the weather settles down, I hope to begin ground driving. We'll see how she does...

Attachments

• midnight bridle.jpg
    midnight bridle.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 7
  • midnight3-16.jpg
    midnight3-16.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 8
She looks nicely settled in to her new home. She has the sweetest face.
Her belly does looks slightly maternal, but maybe it is from good groceries. Cappy has a round middle and I know for certain he is not in foal :).
Did you go by any cows on your journey today? If so, did she pass the "cow test"?
Is she turned out with DD now?

I worked with my sister for several hours today. She has Nugget now. We made a pvc travois like mine. We cross tied him to work with the pvc shafts,then she ground drove him while I held the halter lead to control the bolt. He was doing better by the end of the lesson. He is a very interesting horse; he is really in his own world. I think he would do really well as a pony ride horse; he doesn't seem to want to connect with people at all. He does not care if he pleases you at all. Once he is convinced that you are not going to give up till he does what you want, then he totally submits and just plods along (we were working in a round pen). Really an interesting personality. Not one I like, though. I don't miss him at all. She is still playing with him; she is watching Clint Anderson and I think she enjoys trying the different techniques on Nugget.

Latest posts

Back