Nugget

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a new horse last night at the sale.  Miniatures are bringing almost as much, and sometimes more, than big horses.  His coggins says bucksin, but I'm thinking he is silver dapple, because of the mane/tail color and some masking on his face.  A little boy was riding him with a saddle.  The owner sold him because the boy needs a bigger horse.  He said he was sure he would pull for me.  I've brushed him good and washed his tail with Selsun Blue, cleaned his feet, and clipped his bridle path.  Spritzed with fly spray, and washed his face.  So far no kicking, nipping, or anything crazy.  Not even any squealing between he and DD between the fence.  Needs his feet done badly and I'm sure he needs deworming.  But he is a good weight and seems like a good boy.  I'm going to contact AMHA tomorrow and find out if it might be possible to track down his relatives with dna.  Time will tell  if I spent my money well.

nugget 1.jpg

Congratulations! He is lovely!  Looks like he has some dapples there?  How big is he, will your gear fit him, do you think? 

Looking forward to hearing more about him!

I talked to the registries about possibly using dna test to find his lineage.  For an extra $25 I can have him color tested, so I plan to do that.  It's so frustrating when back yard breeders don't bother to keep the papers with their horses.  I'm still hoping the sale barn owner gets back to me with the original owners and maybe I can find out something. 

Contacted the equine dentist to put us on her travel list. She will be able to tell me how old he really is.   Farrier coming on Thursday. 

Did the registery say they could DNA test for lineage?  I am curious as I asked the registry last year and was told they couldn't/wouldn't do it.  Pretty sure I know who one of mine is, but I received absolutely NO help when I contacted the registery about it.  

I did not know there were so many shades of buckskin.  Thanks!  Would silver account for his blaze and pink nose?
Buckskin is basically cream on bay (which is black modified by agouti) but you can have other modifiers as well such as silver. None of that accounts for the white blaze and pink on his nose which is from one of the overo genes,

I'm a little out of practice with colour  genetics so if I've messed something up someone please correct me.

I did not know there were so many shades of buckskin.  Thanks!  Would silver account for his blaze and pink nose?
No, he has a blaze just the same way as any other horse would. It has nothing to do with color. Any color horse can have a blaze. The pink nose is because of the white skin under the blaze.  Skin under areas of white is pink.  Skin under "color" is black.

Congrats to the new horse!! :D He looks very pleasant, and he's a handsome boy! I like his colour and his size too :)

Buckskin is basically cream on bay (which is black modified by agouti) but you can have other modifiers as well such as silver. None of that accounts for the white blaze and pink on his nose which is from one of the overo genes,

I'm a little out of practice with colour  genetics so if I've messed something up someone please correct me.
Dapper Dan has agouti.  Do you think it would be fun to have the color test done on Nugget?  Which would I have done?  Waste of money??

test.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful guy! Hoping he works out well for you. I agree with previous comments that he has a kind/calm face. I was surprised at the last sale I went to just how much ponies and minis were going for. There was a pinto team of minis I had my eye on but once they got up over $2500 for the team I was out. They sold for $8000. That is more than I paid for my Fjord team! Pound for pound that's some pretty expensive horseflesh.

Dapper Dan has agouti.  Do you think it would be fun to have the color test done on Nugget?  Which would I have done?  Waste of money??

View attachment 37070
Well I think its always fun to know for sure what the colour genes are (but I never tire of learning just one more tiny fact about my animals.. lol)  If I were going to choose Id go with silver, maybe cream and agouti altho that is probably pretty obvious.  No point in doing a test for red or grey really. I'm not sure which pinto gene would be responsible for the blaze so I wouldn't want to suggest either sabino or tobiano .. so basically I guess silver to confirm if he is indeed a silver buckskin.

Here is a head shot.  I think he has a mask, which I was told was a sign of silver dapple.  I think I will go with the silver test.  Hope to send off the hairs soon.  Fingers crossed there will be some evidence of his bloodline.

My husband really likes him.  Feet trimmed today and overall good feet.  Some evidence of thrush in the hoof wall that I will need to keep an eye on.  He stood pretty well for the farrier.  Turned him out with Dapper Dan in the pasture and they did great together.    He loved kicking up his heels and galloping.  Just walked up to him in the pasture and haltered him without any trouble.

nugget face.jpg

I love his blaze, it is similar to my welsh pony's.  Wide at the forehead and hooking around the nose.   Nugget's blaze is a bit cleaner, though :)

Latest posts

Back