Sign in to follow this  
Marsha Cassada

Nugget

I got a new horse last night at the sale.  Miniatures are bringing almost as much, and sometimes more, than big horses.  His coggins says bucksin, but I'm thinking he is silver dapple, because of the mane/tail color and some masking on his face.  A little boy was riding him with a saddle.  The owner sold him because the boy needs a bigger horse.  He said he was sure he would pull for me.  I've brushed him good and washed his tail with Selsun Blue, cleaned his feet, and clipped his bridle path.  Spritzed with fly spray, and washed his face.  So far no kicking, nipping, or anything crazy.  Not even any squealing between he and DD between the fence.  Needs his feet done badly and I'm sure he needs deworming.  But he is a good weight and seems like a good boy.  I'm going to contact AMHA tomorrow and find out if it might be possible to track down his relatives with dna.  Time will tell  if I spent my money well.

nugget 1.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations! He is lovely!  Looks like he has some dapples there?  How big is he, will your gear fit him, do you think? 

Looking forward to hearing more about him!

28 minutes ago, Cayuse said:

Congratulations! He is lovely!  Looks like he has some dapples there?  How big is he, will your gear fit him, do you think? 

Looking forward to hearing more about him!

He is the same size as DD, about 32-33".    He needs some tlc, but overall is in good condition. 

he is a really nice looking guy.  i like his eyes'  good sign.

He looks silver buckskin. Or brown buckskin.

Congratulations! He is very pretty. For what its worth I agree with Mona on his colourI hope he turns into a driving horse extrordinaire.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mona said:

He looks silver buckskin. Or brown buckskin.

I did not know there were so many shades of buckskin.  Thanks!  Would silver account for his blaze and pink nose?

What a pretty boy! Love his face and kind eye. I hope he does well driving for you. I have no idea what color he may be, minis have so many color combinations.

• Like 1

I talked to the registries about possibly using dna test to find his lineage.  For an extra $25 I can have him color tested, so I plan to do that.  It's so frustrating when back yard breeders don't bother to keep the papers with their horses.  I'm still hoping the sale barn owner gets back to me with the original owners and maybe I can find out something. 

Contacted the equine dentist to put us on her travel list. She will be able to tell me how old he really is.   Farrier coming on Thursday. 

Did the registery say they could DNA test for lineage?  I am curious as I asked the registry last year and was told they couldn't/wouldn't do it.  Pretty sure I know who one of mine is, but I received absolutely NO help when I contacted the registery about it.