Stop Throwing Your Food!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
I need help! What are your home built feeder solutions for those evil minis who launch their hay out onto the sandy ground?? I use sandclear on a regular basis but I still don't like them eating all that off the dusty sandy ground. I need an economical option since I've got a whole herd of minis now. Hubby and I are both fairly handy with power tools and aren't afraid of a weekend of building. Thanks!!

We've had decent luck with laying down a row of rubber mats for their hay and then puting scoops of grain over the hay piles.  Seems to keep them focused.

They are probably nosing and tossing to get to fine bits and seeds in the hay.

What Miniv said.  Rubber mats.  Easy to clean, too.  If the shove the hay over the edge of the mats, maybe build a edging around it with 4x4s,  that might give it just enough height the hay stays put.  

Do your feeders have a lip around the inside top edge?  That is supposed to stop the hay from getting thrown out but I have found it needs to be a fairly wide lip or they still manage to shove the hay up and out.

If mats are too expensive what about a big piece of old carpet turned upside down.  Anchor the edges so it does'nt blow.  Have you tried hay bags?  They are best for me.  They can be accessed from both sides of a fence.  My horse has eye trouble if he is allowed to burrow in hay.

I like the carpet idea!  It's cheaper than rubber mats.

How about just a "barred" hay feeder? You can put the bars closer together, or even add cross bars to make it harder to pull out large bunches of hay...AND it keeps them busy working at it.   :yes   I do not like using hay bags unless you are close by the entire time (like a horse show), cuz those "evil minis" will always find a way to get hung up.  :gaah  

hay feeder.jpg

I like the rubber matts idea. They go on sale at Cal-Ranch on a fairly regular basis. I also like the idea of building a barrier around them. I've got a bunch of odd sized scrap railroad ties that would work well....

I've done hay nets but they just bat them with their heads and eat the hay off the ground. 

Latest posts

Back