Hi from new member

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, horses can sense/see things that we may not.  I was not paying attention one time in town--trying to keep an eye on traffic, and my horse refused to cross a drainage grate.  Lucky for both of us that he was alert.  I still shudder to this day thinking of what might have happened, and I give him the benefit of the doubt when he shies at something.

Yes, do train Little Buddy NOT to browse while working or even on a lead unless you give permission.  You will save both of you a lot of trouble later on.  Going out on a lead with the express purpose of offering him grazing time is one thing.  Snatching mouthfuls while walking on a lead should be unacceptable.  It is very difficult to UNtrain that behavior.   Lesson learned the hard way!  By the time I discovered this driving forum in 2005, it was too late...

Hi from Manitoba!

We had Morgans for 46 years and there was a time I thought we would always have them.  Our last one left us in 2012 and I would have no interest in getting another.  I enjoy my ponies more.  I got our first Minis in 2001 and my first American Shetland in 2008.  I enjoy the Shetlands more than anything.  

But anyway--your two look lovely in that photo!

Hi from Manitoba!

We had Morgans for 46 years and there was a time I thought we would always have them.  Our last one left us in 2012 and I would have no interest in getting another.  I enjoy my ponies more.  I got our first Minis in 2001 and my first American Shetland in 2008.  I enjoy the Shetlands more than anything.  

But anyway--your two look lovely in that photo!
Hi Minimor! You must have loved your Morgans very much to have such a long commitment to them.

I think my current Morgan (17 years old, together since he was 3) may be my last big horse; I plan to keep him for the rest of his life. After he's gone, whether or not we sell the farm, I'd like to keep Little Buddy forever and have fun driving and doing other things with him.

Shetlands are adorable! I can't believe how smart they and the mini's are. When I pony LB, he notices when I squeeze my leg (to ask the horse to trot) and he (LB) starts trotting before the Morgan. 

Haha... joke's on me! I think I get why drivers use the blinders. While we're awaiting the new harness, I took Little Buddy today for a ground drive with reins attached to his halter. He did two giant spooks, dived twice to sniff poops left by other horses, and lunged to get grass a couple of times. All the problems seemed to happen in twos. Blinders are looking pretty good about now. I've driven him with those on before, and we didn't have the same issues.

Nothing's easy.  : )

Latest posts

Back