Hi from new member

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Buddy

Reaction score
Hi there! I just joined the forum. I have one big and one miniature horse. The big and I love trail riding. 

The mini has experience showing and driving. I am in the process of ordering a HyperBike and harness for us; it might take about 4 - 8 weeks to arrive. It looks like so much fun!

We are in central MA, USA. Are there other driving members in our area? Anyone have experience with HyperBikes?

Thank you.

ponying_lb.jpg

Hi and welcome!  Pretty horses you have there. Is the big horse a grulla? I do think someone on here has a hyperbike, but I can't remember who it is, maybe if you start a thread with hyperbike in the title it will catch their eye.

I am from seacoast NH.  So not too far away from you as compared to some of the other member here.

The seat on the hyperbikes look so comfy!  I wish they made easy entry carts with the back rest higher like that.  Love the third picture!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome!  Pretty horses you have there. Is the big horse a grulla? I do think someone on here has a hyperbike, but I can't remember who it is, maybe if you start a thread with hyperbike in the title it will catch their eye.

I am from seacoast NH.  So not too far away from you as compared to some of the other member here.
Hi Cayuse,

Thank you! The big horse is a bay Morgan (old-style). 

New England is in the greater neighborhood :)

Welcome! Beautiful horses. I’m in suburban Chicago, so not anywhere near you. ? I have a hyper bike. Lots of fun! My go to ride when I take my older guy out.
Hi Peggy,

Your horses are beautiful! It looks like you have some great places to drive. I'm glad to see you and your horses having fun... all the horses look nice and forward pulling the HyperBike.

I am wondering if I should try an open bridle, too. Are there any challenges working without the blinders? Is there a period of adjustment if you switch from blinders to open?

Hi Cayuse,

Thank you! The big horse is a bay Morgan (old-style). 

New England is in the greater neighborhood :)
Morgans are my first love :) My uncle had a small breeding farm of two or three mares.and a stallion that he stood to 2-3 outside mares a year.  I used to get to ride the mares when they weren't tied up with their motherly duties.  This was in the 70's.  I always wanted a Morgan of my own to show but I never got one.  I did end up with two part Morgan ponies (one might of been full morgan with lost papers, she was 14 hands and very typey) and they were the best.   Lots of personality!

Morgans are my first love.  My uncle had a small breeding farm of two or three mares.and a stallion that he stood to 2-3 outside mares a year.  I used to get to ride the mares when they weren't tied up with their motherly duties.  This was in the 70's.  I always wanted a Morgan of my own to show but I never got one.  I did end up with two part Morgan ponies (one might of been full morgan with lost papers, she was 14 hands and very typey) and they were the best.   Lots of personality!
I met a Morgan for the first time when I was small and they made a huge impression on me, too. Yes, lots of personality!

My husband got the lucky shot below of our current Morgan one misty morning. Little Buddy is his BFF. 

morgan_1612_cc_sml.jpg

Hi Peggy,

Your horses are beautiful! It looks like you have some great places to drive. I'm glad to see you and your horses having fun... all the horses look nice and forward pulling the HyperBike.

I am wondering if I should try an open bridle, too. Are there any challenges working without the blinders? Is there a period of adjustment if you switch from blinders to open?
I thought I had replied to this, but I guess not. Sorry!

I like driving both of my boys open bridles. We do a lot of driving on the roads, so I like them to see what’s coming from behind us. I originally trained them in traditional blinkered bridles, but switched over a bunch of years back. I’m told some horses focus better with blinkers, but I have not found that to be true. I’d suggest trying it in a controlled environment, round pen or arena, the first few times. 

My horses prefer the open bridle also.  It is required in the show ring, however, so they need to learn how to wear them.  The only driving horses I have seen that wear open bridles "in public" are those pulling a caisson.

When I am driving in an area with a lot of tall grass, I use the driving bridle with the overcheck, as my older horse is a terrible grass-snatcher.  When we were first learning to drive together, I did not know any better than to let him graze while harnessed.  And we can't seem to get over it.  But all horses I trained after him were never allowed to graze while working, and consequently do not need a check.

caisson.jpg

Marsha I think blinders are required in breed shows (AMHA AMHR) but are not required in ADS (American Driving Society) recognized shows. They do still require a bit, so no bit less bridles.

because driving is so traditional, one may get some criticism from others when driving open. I understand the whole grass grabbing thing. It is a tough habit to break. I just give him a crack with the whip and make him trot a bit. 

FD3439E2-F303-4CCA-9BBB-DEA400B188FE.png

Hi Littlebuddy and welcome to the forum from NS Canada. Your horses are beautiful.

I thought I had replied to this, but I guess not. Sorry!

I like driving both of my boys open bridles. We do a lot of driving on the roads, so I like them to see what’s coming from behind us. I originally trained them in traditional blinkered bridles, but switched over a bunch of years back. I’m told some horses focus better with blinkers, but I have not found that to be true. I’d suggest trying it in a controlled environment, round pen or arena, the first few times. 
I was impressed by your pics and decided to order cheek pieces both with and without blinkers. I will follow your advice about trying in a controlled environment. Thanks!

My horses prefer the open bridle also.  It is required in the show ring, however, so they need to learn how to wear them.  The only driving horses I have seen that wear open bridles "in public" are those pulling a caisson.

When I am driving in an area with a lot of tall grass, I use the driving bridle with the overcheck, as my older horse is a terrible grass-snatcher.  When we were first learning to drive together, I did not know any better than to let him graze while harnessed.  And we can't seem to get over it.  But all horses I trained after him were never allowed to graze while working, and consequently do not need a check.
Oh, I know what you mean about grass in front of the nose. I took my big horse out this morning for a romp through the woods. The trails are quite overgrown and lots of leafy branches were right at his nose level. Sometimes I won the battle and other times not. So, thanks for the tip! I will try to keep Little Buddy's mind off food while we're working.

Marsha I think blinders are required in breed shows (AMHA AMHR) but are not required in ADS (American Driving Society) recognized shows. They do still require a bit, so no bit less bridles.

because driving is so traditional, one may get some criticism from others when driving open. I understand the whole grass grabbing thing. It is a tough habit to break. I just give him a crack with the whip and make him trot a bit. 

View attachment 36895
To date, LB has been driven only with blinders, so he's used to them. 

I am very familiar with trail riding and green at driving. I would like to explain my thinking about blinders/blinkers and invite comments so I can learn more.

Once I have a good bond with a big horse, I like to develop a good working relationship with him on the trail. This has saved my butt more than once. For example, one time on a hunter pace, my horse wiggled and changed direction over a fence to avoid hitting a tree I hadn't seen. Another time, out trail riding with a friend, my horse, who was used to crossing mud, warned me that a particular patch of mud was NOT safe to cross. My friend pushed her horse into it and he sank up to his belly. 

My horses don't always know best, but there are times I appreciate their input. Is that the case with driving horses, too? As Peggy said above, outside of the ring, is it good for them to see what's going on around them? Maybe that depends on the individual horse?

Latest posts

Back