Marsha's idea for a muddy paddock WORKED!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Thank you MARSHA!  We had a very muddy/mucky area by our barn where the rain would run off the roof.  Gravel, sand, etc didn't work.

But then, we pulled the old carpet from my daughter's bedroom and used that CARPET all across the side of the barn. It's worked GREAT. The horses also like laying on it! LOL.

BTW, our house is a 1940's farm house, so we shouldn't have been surprised to find beautiful hard wood flooring when we yanked up the carpeting.... So, nope we are NOT replacing the carpet, just putting down area rugs instead.

thanks to both of you!! I don't know why I didn't think about this. Terry's been bringing me home carpet from the dump so I can use it in my herb garden walkways to kill the darn grass and weeds.  I'll be adding some to a certain place in my dry lot this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's ALSO a great idea, Debby.... Wish we'd thought of that for our vegie garden, but Larry has already taken the last of the carpet to the dump.

thanks to both of you!! I don't know why I didn't think about this. Terry's been bringing me home carpet from the dump so I can use it in my herb garden walkways to kill the darn grass and weeds.  I'll be adding some to a certain place in my dry lot this weekend.
Should do this around our rock garden.  Never thought of it.

I first saw this used at Rita Jenkins' WeeOkie farm.  I was amazed at how it averted erosion and made an area of solid footing.  The first time I used the idea was a worn-out jute rug that was in the mudroom.  I laid it in front of my horse motel and it lasted for several years.  Then I got a piece of carpet to replace it.  Sure beats slipping around in the slime for man and beast!

I've liked it both for me AND the horses.... Neither of us liked mucking through to get into the side entrance of the barn. Glad to know that it will last a few years.

Back