Draft horses near me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't even put my minis in with my welsh pony.  Mostly to protect the pony!

That does sound like it would not be the best fit in the world for Buckly.  I wish I lived closer, he sounds like he would fit in here.  He is a handsome horse and I could show him in halter.  My welshie just has to clip, trailer, and stand pretty for the judge, it's an easy job, lol.  In fact I bet my welsh pony is a lot in temperament like Buckly.  He is herd oriented too, we can trailer him alone but he hates to say alone.  He won't drive, either :-( just can't seem to wrap his mind around the concept.  Sets of a fear response.

Anyway, I am glad Buckly is back home and keeping DD company (and keeping him young at heart!) 

I think he would do well in halter; I'm sure he would love to live at your place!  He stands nicely and does enjoy learning new things.  I might try him on Equisite.  But he is fine for now; he can relax and enjoy the pasture for a while.    I don't know anything about halter so I can't teach him that. 

Called Ozark to see if I could buy just one rein, instead of buying a whole new set.  No luck.  So I'm sending the broken rein to a saddle shop to see if he can repair it.  Probably will end up buying a new set of reins.  Then I'll have a spare rein!  My driving whip also got broken; looks like it may have been caught in the spoke?  Gorilla-glued it with black tape so we'll see if it holds.  Probably have to buy another one of those, also. 

Have not really done anything with Buckly since he's been home, except groom him and review a couple of tricks.  It's too hot to play outside much. 

I've had a couple of calls on Buckly.  One of them I refused as they wanted him for a lead line pony for children.  I told them he was not suitable for children and the guy said he'd had horses all his life and most horses could be taught to do things if you try hard enough.  I think my cowboy trainer pretty well had Buckly figured and I am not sending him somewhere that sets him up for failure.  The other call sounds ideal:  a young woman who works with dog rescue with her county sheriff.  She wants Buckly as a companion for her quarter horse that is blind in one eye and to play with.  Buckly would be very happy in that situation.  Hope she calls me back.  No hurry about anything. 

The woman sounds like a perfect situation, doesn't she?

Buckly is lucky that he has you to look out for his best interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Marsha, I'm very sorry to hear about Buckly ? What kind of adventures has he had that your harness and cart is damaged... I wish I lived closer too. I think he would be great as a companion horse or be fixed by hitching in a team. Some horses are not able to work alone in the cart and I absolutely unterstand your needs, so I agree he's not working for you. Hope you'll find the best new home for him and have my fingers crossed on your search for a stable driving horse.

Latest posts

Back