Re- breeding the mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minister man

Reaction score
The fellow I sold the stallion to, was in this weekend to see the foal..   No longer having a stallion, rebreeding the mare wasn't really something I was considering, until he offered to bring him down for "a bit" of 50.00.  It would be nice to have a team of full siblings.  The stallion looks like a miniature Belguim.  The foal is Belguim colour.

Anyhow, Now I am thinking ........... I need to make sure I would have the room...  I would have 3 years to save for the team harness.........  I know the mare and foal need separate stalls for weaning purposes, but then then foal 2 needs a separate stall too......... later...   I believe that failing to plan is planning to fail.

Anyhow, the mare foaled on May 9th, which is 11 days ago..... that should mean that she is in her foal heat now, but I am not seeing any signs of her being in heat, or the foal scouring to indicate she might be in heat.   I don't have the stud here, not feeling the best myself, so I wouldn't breed on this heat.

When would i line the stallion up for anticipating her next heat?  Is it 30 days after foaling?   That would be June the 8th.  Would I need him to arrive a few days before that?  could I turn him out each day with the mare and foal? or would I have to lock the foal up and turn them out?

thanks for the help everyone,   

In our experience, our mares are hard to get in heat with a baby at side.

We just pen the mare/ foal next to a stallion. 

We have never had one of our mares come into a "foal heat."

We have two mares with foals at their side that we plan on breeding this year. One is penned next to stallions and the other just foaled. Have no plan on breeding them until late June/early July.

Sounds like your taking many factors into account , which is great . We never bred our TB mares on their first heat after foaling , what we noticed was they tended to be more of a silent heat , so not overly noticeable . 

The most important thing to me when breeding a mare the same year she has foaled is how quickly she has recovered and healed. Some mares need quite a lot of time to recover as foaling can be quite an ordeal for many mares. 

I agree with MMM in waiting until later in your summer, this will give your mare time to be a mum & recover. Wouldn't hurt to get your vet to have a look at your mare in a couple of months and if your vets happy , go for it . 

Most of my mares did show foal heat, but I preferred to wait another month to let them recover well. Also, I timed my breedings so that foaling dates fell in the spring when temperatures were  mild and grass was greening up.

I always  hand bred my mares with  stallions living here.  I don't know if I would turn a 'new' stallion out with mare and foal.  When hand breeding, I tied up the mare, put the foal on the other side of the fence next to the mare so she would not worry about the foal.

Congrats on having a successful foaling!

A bit of an undate, The mare got the all clear, is doing fantastic with the foal.  We brought the stallion back for the 30 day heat.  He definitely bred her every day she was in heat, so hopefully she is  back in foal.

Latest posts

Back