How to measure cart for leg room?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayuse

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
My Kingston metal cart is a wee bit tight in the leg room department for me. I have fairly long legs and I can feel it in my hips after I go for a drive. I like to drive with one foot braced against the front of the cart as I feel more secure that way, but if I do, I'm a little scrunched. If I could move the seat back about two inches, it would be perfect, but that's not an option with my cart.

I am looking online for cart and since I can't sit in them, I guess I will need to get measurements of the "footbox" to compare with my cart. Does anyone know were to measure to check for leg room on a pleasure cart? Would it be the seat height, or width across the bottom where your feet go, that you would measure? Or a combo of the two?

Thanks!

If you are happy with everything else about the Kingston, perhaps a less expensive and easier option to buying a new cart would be to add a wedge to your seat. This would open up your hip angle a bit, and give you a more secure seat. Google “carriage wedge seat” for some examples.

Thank you! I love my cart, Peanut loves his cart ☺ too! I will look into a wedge.

We are looking for another cart for my other mini and that suggestion opens the door for us to get another Kingston. I have found another cart that I like the looks of, but sometimes sticking with what you know is the easiest option.

The funny thing is my husband is taller than I am by about 6 inches, and he looks like a tight fit in the cart, yet he is comfortable.

Yes, I would recommend a wedge seat too. I have a carriage with a very low seat (it's made for children size, I think), not very comfortable for me. I added a wedge and now it works
default_smile.png

My new carts have adjustable seats, I would never buy a cart without adjustable seat.

Latest posts

Back