Weight Watchers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I joined Weight Watchers last week. Since having some arthritis episodes, I'm worried about any extra weight. I believe I need to learn to manage my weight now before it becomes a problem. It depressed me going to the meeting, knowing that I needed to be there. I'm sort of enjoying the challenge now, though. Hope I see some progress next week.

Anyone else done a weight loss program, and how successful was it?

It is good that you are being proactive about your weight. When my arthritis started, my weight crept up slowly. Mostly because my activity level decreased when I couldn't work or ride anymore. I wish I had payed a little closer attention to it at the time.

I did loose 14 pounds after I had the heart stent put in. I would like to loose about 10 more but seem to be stuck. I never joined a program, just cut back on all the fats in my diet. And tried to snack a little less.

I would love to get a treadmill to use in the winter so I could walk more.

I was in a farm accident as a child and my trouble is the result. I used to be so miserable sitting on hard school desks and gym bleachers. I have always been very active; it's a sort of downer to realize one can't get the ol' cardiovascular going like I used to. But life is good. I'm rather having fun and look forward to Tuesday to see positive results.

Cayuse, sounds as though you have certainly had your share of troubles.

I was in a farm accident as a child and my trouble is the result. I used to be so miserable sitting on hard school desks and gym bleachers. I have always been very active; it's a sort of downer to realize one can't get the ol' cardiovascular going like I used to. But life is good. I'm rather having fun and look forward to Tuesday to see positive results.

Cayuse, sounds as though you have certainly had your share of troubles.
Have you tried swimming? Or water aerobics? Low impact but supposed to burn calories. [Not available to me, or I think I'd try water aerobics.]

How about a recumbent bike? Either stationary or not. I was thinking about getting a stationary one. They are supposed to be easier on the joints. Regular bikes hurt my hips/sacroiliac

Some guy around here rides by on his recumbent bike and he always makes me giggle. He has orange flags all over it. I followed him once, it IS harder to see than a regular bike. I guess that's why so many flags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive never done weight watchers but I did put on a few kilos last year to being injured whilst horse riding. It was also winter , so that adds a few too
default_smile.png

A good friend of mine told me to try the " eat from the fridge and not from the cupboard/ Pantry" rule and it helped.

I looked online to order some zucchini noodles, as I do enjoy pasta dishes. In my rural area, it is difficult to find some of the unusual grocery options listed in recipes. I've found that many of the frozen foods have freezer burn when I get them home. Kind of takes the shine off those limited calories. Yes, I can take them back, but that is a 22 mile trek, and no food in the meantime!

We sure don't think about the ramifications of injuries. I always thought, oh I'll get over it and that will be that. NOT.

My farm accident at the age of 6 was falling off a large trailer that was used to transport haystacks, and being run over. Luckily in a field and not on a road. The neighbor boy driving the tractor was popping the clutch to make the girls scream and I fell off. Does anyone still use haystacks??

Gosh Marsha, I can't imagine that accident. Six is so little and tiny. I feel badly for the little girl that you were at the time (and for you now, too!). It must have been awful and awful to remember.

I don't ever remember seeing hay stacks here. I do remember going on hay runs with out neighbor, she would load the pickup with bales and rope them in. We kids would sit on top on the ride home. I don't know what she was thinking letting us do that! Life was different back in the day.

You travel 22 miles for groceries? That is quite a jaunt. I am spoiled, our store is two miles.

Zucchini noodles sound good!

A haystack trailer looks like the big platforms used to move houses. Nice big area to jump around and scream--if I had just stayed in the center where I'm sure I was told to be. We we picking up hay bales. This was South Dakota in the late 50's. Have you ever jumped off a windmill into a hay stack? Wow, that is lots of fun. I wouldn't trade my childhood in the wild and woolly West. I feel sorry for modern children who can't even go out in their yards to play without being supervised.

3.6# last night at weighing.

I have jumped out of a hayloft into open hay, it WAS pretty fun. No windmills though! I couldn't do it now cause I got afraid of heights with age,lol. I feel the same as you about my childhood. I'd be outside all day, never see an adult until it was time for supper. That was in the late sixties. No one worried about "stranger danger" or much of anything else, for that matter.

Sounds like you had a really good first week! ☺

You travel 22 miles for groceries? That is quite a jaunt. I am spoiled, our store is two miles.
Hahahahaha! Sorry, couldn't help but laugh at the thought that 22 miles is "quite a jaunt"... I live 37 miles from the nearest town with a store, but prices are very high, so we go 65 miles the other direction for groceries, parts, feed and anything else we need on a regular basis. average every other week for trips, but sometimes it's every week.

Hahahahaha! Sorry, couldn't help but laugh at the thought that 22 miles is "quite a jaunt"... I live 37 miles from the nearest town with a store, but prices are very high, so we go 65 miles the other direction for groceries, parts, feed and anything else we need on a regular basis. average every other week for trips, but sometimes it's every week.[/quote
I just couldn't!

Now I like my privacy, and would be happy to trade my two miles for a bit further if it got me a homestead with acreage, but 65 is ???!

Dang!

Our neighbor has a street strider, it's like a bike only with elliptical pedals and poles to work your arms instead of a regular bike looking handlebar. He sure looks funny coming down the road! He has to get in a certain spot for me to see the whole machine, part of the way all I see is him floating along pulling the poles back and forth LOL the first time I saw it I was like WTH?? anyway, it's a really nice low impact on your joints way to exercise.

Congratulations on your weight loss Marsha.  :cheers   I'd like to use the trophy as a quick way-to-go or congrats but some idiot designated it a thank you. I don't know what to do about that. I liked having the like button on the forum, now it's confusing to me.

Our neighbor has a street strider, it's like a bike only with elliptical pedals and poles to work your arms instead of a regular bike looking handlebar. He sure looks funny coming down the road! He has to get in a certain spot for me to see the whole machine, part of the way all I see is him floating along pulling the poles back and forth LOL the first time I saw it I was like WTH?? anyway, it's a really nice low impact on your joints way to exercise.

Congratulations on your weight loss Marsha.  :cheers   I'd like to use the trophy as a quick way-to-go or congrats but some idiot designated it a thank you. I don't know what to do about that. I liked having the like button on the forum, now it's confusing to me.
I've never seen a street strider.  Sounds like good exercise, though.  My little dog was diagnosed with degenerative bone disease in the vertebrae.  Sometimes he does not want to go for a walk anymore.  So I take him on the bicycle.  It is his absolute favorite way to travel!  Wonder if the street strider can take furry passengers?

bless his little heart that's so sweet you riding him around.  I don't think that'd work on the street strider but depending on how little he is it might. It does have an optional platform on the back and also shows a woman using hers to get things from the market. Heres a video from their site.

Latest posts

Back