Shedding Yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is 99 here today. I clipped Dapper Dan. So glad to get rid of that dirty mat. It's supposed to be 30 on Saturday morning so he will get his blanket. Hope to do Buckly tomorrow. We'll see how that goes, as I have no idea of his clipping history.

Good luck with Buckly. I bet he won't mind too much. Did he see DD getting clipped? Sometimes I think seeing another horse who is quiet sets the tone, but maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.

Cappy and my welsh pony are all clipped except for the knees down. Guess I should finish them up, but the past few days have been chilly. I'll be glad to be done with winter blankets! We are supposed to get snow and sleet on Sunday so I think they'll be stuck wearing them a few more days.

Decided not to clip Buckly today. Not sure my blanket will fit him so I'll leave his hair on a few more days. It's so windy, I didn't want to bother trying it on him. I have shelters, but don't actually have a barn to work in. The wind has been terrific; all that fine horse hair makes a mess. Maybe the wind will let up next week. At least it keeps the flies blown off Dapper Dan, since he is "naked". Thought I would need to put the fly sheet on him for a few days, but flies can't even hang on.

I hate spring. Not sure why there are all these lyrical poems and songs about spring. Sorry I clipped Dapper Dan now; I put his heavy blanket and neck sweat on him last night. tonight is supposed to be colder. We have had steady 40+ mph winds for several days with wind chill of 9 degrees last night. Fires all around us yesterday; it was called "historic red flag warning". Two cotton gins caught fire and burned in the area. $$$,$$$,$$$ losses. The chickens are being blown around like leaves and it's hard to keep food and water for them. We are all wind weary. From 100 degrees down to 27 in two days--I can't even do the math on that extreme. Whine! Whine!

I hate spring. Not sure why there are all these lyrical poems and songs about spring. Sorry I clipped Dapper Dan now; I put his heavy blanket and neck sweat on him last night. tonight is supposed to be colder. We have had steady 40+ mph winds for several days with wind chill of 9 degrees last night. Fires all around us yesterday; it was called "historic red flag warning". Two cotton gins caught fire and burned in the area. $$$,$$$,$$$ losses. The chickens are being blown around like leaves and it's hard to keep food and water for them. We are all wind weary. From 100 degrees down to 27 in two days--I can't even do the math on that extreme. Whine! Whine!
I liked your post, but not really a "like", just acknowledgement that I feel your pain. So sick of winter and winter weather. Can't wait for my only foal of the year to get out of her blanket, she's been in one almost 24/7 since she was born in March, just a couple nice days that allowed Naked or light blanket while out and about.

it has been a horrible winter and spring. it is actually spring here in sc except for once a week, we get a good storm, but it keeps getting to be less and less of a storm.

i brought Daisy out to see if she was starting to shed. i got a half of a 5 gallon bucket (packed down) of hair in about 20 minutes. I miss u all hoping i will have more time . we are still looking for property, mike is slow to commit. im about to crack down on him.

Nights are supposed to be above 50 now so I clipped Buckly today. Wasn't sure how it would go. He did pretty well. i couldn't do his head completely or ears, and his back legs were tricky. But over all he did well. I might tidy a little more tomorrow; I felt I had asked enough of him for one session. His color did not change as much as I thought with clipping. I am trying braiding the mane to see if it will look nice as it grows. If not, I will cut it off.

I am very pleased with his head! It is nicely shaped.

clippedBuckly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so tempted to buy blankets for my 3 so I can clip them. I have to wait until June because nights still get so cold out here. They are shedding like crazy and it's making me nuts and them itchy.

ThisWeather.jpg

this is so cute and so right! lol

My two girls are totally different. Wenona right now I can use the shedding blade and brush her and she'll be set. Glory, on the other hand, grows a coat like a wooly mammoth and it sheds so slowly that I end up having to clip almost all of hers each year. The temperature is to the point now I'm planning on clipping her this weekend.... unless it decides to snow which wouldn't surprise me.
default_rolleyes.gif

When it's consistently above 50 at night, you should be able to safely clip and not worry about blankets.

If you aren't showing, then you can always start with a comfort clip, and unzip so to speak, and just head and neck them, and perhaps extra on the chest (I've done this, when day temps are fast climbing, but nights are still cold).

Latest posts

Back