New To Two New Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippatuffson

Reaction score
Good morning to all. I am new to minis. I have had horses and shown halter, western pleasure, trail, etc. all my life, but now with two knee replacements I have sold my dream horse to a youth to show in 4-H and pulled myself away from riding. Desiring to have horses still, I have a POA world champion mare, and two new miniature horses, AJ (9) pintaloosa, and Tucker (3) reg. AMHA appaloosa. Both are size B miniatures. I hope to drive Tucker since he has been well started and am in the process of buying a cart. My goals are to do pleasure driving around our farm, some trail driving, and a few open shows' classes in pleasure driving and obstacle driving. I have trained horses and ponies to drive but not for competition or trail driving and look forward to this forum for some pointers. Here are photos of my two boys.

Carolyn (skippatuffson)

IMG_8976 (2).JPGIMG_9261.JPG

Welcome to the forum
default_smile.png

Sounds like you have plenty in store for your minis !! have heaps of fun
default_smile.png

Thank you. I can't wait for spring when I can clip, sweat necks, flatten mane, find legs, etc. so see what they really look like. My harness does look great on Tucker and I am excited about getting my cart!

Hi Cayuse. Thanks. They are the pleasure type, no Arabian type here. AJ looks body wise like a little draft. I think Tucker, the smoky black app will be a bit more leggy and pleasure driving will will be his vocation. Where are you in New England? I was born in Providence, RI and lived in Scituate, RI until early adulthood. I taught school at Scituate Elementary School for 6 years. I love my two minis and Mia my POA. Sweet babies!

I live in NH, a few miles inland from Hampton Beach.

Both My minis are of the more drafty type too. Your Tucker reminds me a little bit of my Peanut. Peanut is black, not a POA, but their conformation looks somewhat similar.

I had a unregistered POA mare. She was about 13.3 hands. She was chestnut with just a few spots, but she had the appy characteristics, too. We lost her two years ago at about 25. I used to ride her and I showed her some at local shows. She was a feisty little thing :)

Hi. My husband and I love NH and Maine. He graduated from the University of Maine. We visited NH a few times. I like Conway. We went on our honeymoon in NH, camped, went up Mt. Washington on the Cog Railway, etc. Fun. I will see if I can show you a couple pictures of my POA World Champion mare, Mia. She loves the minis and they all get along well. Show me some pictures of your minis???

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8710 (2).JPG

IMG_8548 (2).JPG

your ponies are beautiful, i am 75 and have had 2 replacement knee surgeries. i ended upthe same as you, and love driving and my minis. they really keep me going. we live in kentucky but are moving to or near Aiken, SC. are you anywhere near there?

welcome to the forum, the people here are the best.

She is beautiful! Much nicer than my mare was. My mare had no definite body "type" really, but over the years I noticed judges that trended western like her the most. If I showed her in halter and showmanship western she did much better than as a hunter.
Do you ride your mare?
I can't post pictures!right now, wrong laptop, but I have pictures on the "your drive day" thread of my two guys. I must say I really like Tucker, he looks like he'd be a lot of fun. He looks like a pretty smart cookie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cayuse, No I don't ride my mare. I bought her small enough so I wouldn't be tempted to ride. She is @ 13.1h and although she is built well is still too small for me. I enjoy her for her looks and showing in halter and showmanship. Yes, I think Tucker, the smoky black mini will be a lot of fun driving and I will enjoy that. I look forward to your pictures!

Latest posts

Back