Does she look in foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where Izzy's at as of this morning. No signs of her vulva relaxing but she does clamp down everytime I pick up her tail.

IMG_20180301_065513656_resized321463658.jpg

IMG_20180301_065725579_resized-1660956387.jpg

IMG_20180301_065658059_resized146634469.jpg

What I meant was she clamps her tail down so could be tightening everything up. Wishful thinking...

If she is clamping her tail, she is not ready.

A mare close to foaling loosens up back there. It comes to you taking the tail to lift and she is unable to clamp it close to her butt.

I see a definite change in her udder compared to the last pictures.

I would most definitely be leaning to "yes" pregnant now.

As MMM has said above , her whole back end will start to relax as she nears foaling. You will notice eventually she wont be able to clamp her tail down when you pick it up.

As of last night there weren't any big changes. She's still having good and bad nights and had some more small contractions a couple of times. She got me this morning by having one big one after a couple small ones, maybe,maybe....not. Are the contractions normal? She really can't do this for ever can she? I don't know how you all do this, I'm going to lose it soon
default_crybaby.gif
WHINE!

Just heading out to get them out and fed, hopefully she made some big changes overnight!!!!

Yes they can do that, its called being a pregnant mare.

They will get you hooked, than lead you on your days. Maybe even weeks.

When you are beyond exhausted, they will then "maybe" present you with their little bundle of joy.

It will all be worth it when it is finally over and the foal is here.

I think he stuck a whisker out and decided to stay put for a while, too cold. Not that I can blame him, I'd like to stay in bed till spring is really here too.

He moved back last night and is now filling up her flank again but sideways and her udder seems to be in a holding pattern.

Busy day today so no afternoon nap and I have to leave my poor mother here on foal watch (panicking most of the time) while I'm more than an hour away so it's a good thing she doesn't look like anything could happen any time soon. Looking on the bright side
default_smile.png

Thanks for the support, I'm sure I'll be back whining again soon
default_biggrin.png

Sounds like she is moving ahead perfectly. All these foaling signs are perfectly normal. She is making sure you are on your toes.

Towards the end of her pregnancy , there is going to be less room , so you are going to notice her trying to get comfortable. She may butt rub , scratch, bite at her sides, lay flat. These are all perfectly normal things.

How is her udder compared to the last pic you posted ?
default_smile.png

This was her udder three mornings ago. It's hard in the morning, softer and down some at night, hasn't changed since then but she seems to go on hold for a bit then get a little bigger again. It would be great to come in one morning soon and have it filled right up but I'll take any moving forward and be happy.IMG_20180305_065411384_resized1417890886.jpg

Usually their bag will "deflate" after be turned out. The day the bag does not go down after a day of turn out, be prepared for a baby soon.

Had a mare last year that when she was turned out in the am her bag was huge. Clear, sticky fluid was expressed. That evening, her bag was even bigger. Fluid was sticky and milky white in color. She foaled around 10 pm that night.

Watching and hoping for that soon. It was a little bigger again this morning and more spread out front to back at the top near her belly.

Definitely moving forward.

I am goibg to take a guess and say you may have a baby within a week. No promises since the mare and baby may decide to hold out.

Absolutely understood, no promises, but you just made my day!!!!!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Her udder is bigger again this morning, nipples are half the size they were yesterday, still not a real bag just two big teats that went down by last night. Tail still tight, foal still sideways. She is now very sensitive to being touched anywhere but the top of her back. I got a couple seconds to check her udder and then she'd had enough. Jumping and spooking about nothing and squealing and jumping if any of the others come near her in the paddock. Poor thing, she must be so uncomfortable.

They can get irratable thats for sure!

Could you do new photos of her full body from the side and one from the back? also one of her udder, hold the tail to the side and take the photo from the back.

Remember before she gets too close clip that hair on her flanks and belly so the foal doesn't ingest it. Are you feeling active foal movement?

Since I mentioned the clipping and I'm saying this from experince, If (like me) you ever clip or brush any hair inside a pen that the horses have access to -- pick it up and dispose of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing to mention...even though she is jumping and squealing when you try to touch her udder, I suggest you continue to do it even if against her wishes, because just in case you need to help get the foal to nurse, or even milk her to get colostrum or milk for baby afterwards, it is critically important that you are able to. Try tying her to a wall of some sort and just stay at her side, facing towards her tail end, speaking calmly to her and rubbing/touching her all over, and ever so slowly working your way towards her udder. Retreat a little further away each time she allows you to move forward. Just keep working your way toward her bag but just slowly with the forward/retreat rubbing, all the while speaking calmly and reassuringly to her.

I'll get pictures in the morning. Haven't felt any movement for about a week and a half. Trying not to worry about that especially since I've only felt the foal about 5 times, he's very quiet.

Clipping isn't going to happen, I'd have to tranque her and don't think I should with a foal. I'm not happy about it. I am shedding her out every night and hoping that will help......
default_sad.png

I'm trying not to bother her too much but I'm not leaving it with her saying no to being handled. Lots of rubbing/scratching and advance and retreat until she says OK especially with her udder. I've done tons of it to get rid of the fear she came with. She was defensive then and if she couldn't run away would kick/bite without making contact. No kicking now just cranky mare.

One thing that may help with handling her udder is get a bucket of warm water, a drop of liquid soap, and a soft rag and try washing gently...including between the teats. She may even LIKE it.

Latest posts

Back