Pregnancy Care

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your mare is progressing nicely and rather quickly. Don't have long to wait.
Now just have her send her vibes my way, my mares are at a snail pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milk came in tonight! It wasn't sticky but I couldn't get a very good look at it. I read they will usually foal 2-4 weeks after you're first able to express fluid, would you agree with that?

The last post came out wrong! Meant to say it wasn't sticky and I couldn't tell color because I didn't get a very good look at it!

Depends on mare. Have had mares that I could get fluid from nipples weeks before delivering. But have also had mares that couldn't get fluid until days or hours before delivery.

I noticed, with several of our mares, that when it turns a "slim milk" color; mare usually foals within 12 hours.

Also the closer the mare is to foaling the easier it is to express fluid from nipples. Barely touch them and it squirts out quickly.

Just don't do it to much because it takes the clostrum from the baby.

quote MCS Miniatures " I read they will usually foal 2-4 weeks after you're first able to express fluid, would you agree with that? "

Not set is stone but yes mares will present that way. Of course then the same mare who was text book for years will drop a foal without even having a bag the day before.
default_whistling.gif
You can't depend on one sign.

You are doing good so don't get too nervous! Since you've observed her closely these last weeks you'll spot the differences in her regular behavior that will alert you to imminant foaling signs.

Something to watch for other than colostrum, loosening of the tail head and swelling and elongating of the vulva -- you may notice her being restless, looking at her sides, getting up and down. She'll be rolling to position the foal. The foal will need to shift from it's position on its back
foal-progression.jpg

-

and rotate (as shown above) until its head and forelimbs are extended in the birth canal like this:

foal-progression2.jpg
-

Some other signs you may see are: pawing, doing a lot of yawning, pushing her butt against the wall. When its almost time you'll probably notice more manure than usual, she'll poop... a LOT and in my experience it will get loose like cow patties, and as contractions progress, she'll be sweating.

-

Normal birthing presentation:

foaling-normal-position2.JPG

-

Do you have a foaling alarm on her? I'm sorry if you already said and I missed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah what Deb said.

I have a mare that is between 338-345 days. She presents with most of what Deb showed above except a bag. She has a walnut size bag and I check it every morning before turn out (which she hates).

I have no history on her so a guessing game.

I have had maidens that go longer (345,355,354) but last year had a maiden go 319. Have had marea carry colts longer but same mare above did not do that.

Had a mare for two foalings (knew her routine) that foaled last year with no bag. Ended up losing the foal do to a difficult birth. Foal had contracted hocks and had to deliver back end of foal with legs in the incorrect position. Hard on mare and baby died from it.

Thanks Debby! I have something similar printed out in my barn. She has been doing some violent butt scratching and often sleeps with her butt pressed against the wall. She's also been looking at her sides a lot more. She will be 300 days Tuesday!
default_smile.png

Also, no foaling alarm but I do have her on marestare. So I've got people watching that will call me if something's wrong, I also get up to check on it throughout the night. I am glad I put her up a little early, it gave me the chance to get a feel of her usual routine so I can tell when she's getting a little closer!
default_smile.png

Oh no, MMM, that must've been scary! I really hope my mare has a textbook foaling but I've studied and printed out a bunch of dystocia corrections just in case I need them.

Milk was white tonight, looked like cow's milk. She's at 298 today. Included belly pictures and an udder pic
default_smile.png
. Looks like her teats are almost pointing straight down.

angel 298.jpg

angel 298 2.jpg

angel 298 3.jpg

I would keep a very close eye on her.

With what your saying, it is a very likely she will foal tonight.

Every mare we have had foal, foal within a few hours of their milk turning to the color of milk.

I would keep a very close eye on her.

With what your saying, it is a very likely she will foal tonight.

Every mare we have had foal, foal within a few hours of their milk turning to the color of milk.
Wow, thanks! I saw her laying down on the camera a little while ago, she hasn't laid down practically since she was bred!

Hope she goes for you uneventfully tonight and look forward to checking in tomorrow morning to hearing tou have a new baby.

I am still waiting for my mares. Have one at 336 days and finally has a descent bag. Two are at 304 and starting a bag. One is at 301 and not much going on with her (she foaled at 319 days last year). Last mare will be 300 days on 3/16 and is halfway bagged up.

Last three won't be 300 days until the end of April.

You were spot on MMM! She foaled last night at 11:30pm. It is a chestnut pinto filly! Very pretty! I will post pictures later. Foal was coming out sideways but I fixed that and it was otherwise an easy birth. She had a lot of trouble finding the milk bar, had to get vet out and eventually got colostrum in her. She is a little undercooked for me and the vet's liking. We will be doing a IgG test on her at about 18 hours and hopefully good results.

Congratulations on a gorgeous filly.

Miniatures average gestation is 330. Earliest is 300 days. Have talked to a couple breeders that have had viable foals earlier, but not much. Your mare was very close, so I can understand your vet and you feeling she is a tad premature.

Hope all goes well and she gets stronger.

Congratulations what a lovely filly., gr8 markings
default_smile.png

Glad everything went well for you and really happy to read that you were there to assist.

Dont be shy with the pictures haha

Sorry forgot to update. Had to take filly up to the state universitys clinic as she still was unable to latch on and was getting weaker by this morning. I stayed up all night with her and syringe fed her. She got put on antibiotics and a feeding tube, and now she is feeling a little stronger. She also is getting plasma transfusions. She is feeling better but not out of the woods yet.

Here are some photos. Angel is a really patient, loving mom. She is doing great, had to be sedated earlier while they were working on her filly, but other than that she has had no problems. We have named the filly Hope.

E3B84C3B-DC5E-4148-97F5-2A0C3382E343.jpeg

FF0A07AC-E253-4AA8-B2B8-2DE055164AFB.jpeg

Back