Help figuring out harness & cart specs??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally found what I was looking for but in looking at it, I don't think it would work in this situation.

It's called a breast collar keeper.

Mike Herron of Herron's Tack offers it for sale - http://herronstack.com/Breast-Collar-Keeper-H127.htm- you can blow up the pic and see it. It's not adjustable and I really think it would be too short for Secuono's purposes... it's part of what is used on the Park action & Hackney horses to attach the neck strap to the water hook (usually under the check rein?).

If you take a look at this mini/pony (? - he may be either bred by the Frasiers here in NC?), I think his harness shows the hook (or something similar) like in my previous post. I think you will see what I am referring to and why I think that this type of hook/strap could be too short IN YOUR situation... That could be a lot of pressure on the neck strap with the head much lower - even here.

This was taken at a show held by the Carolina Carriage Club in 2011 - site link is to High Time Photography's photos... His bridle also has the rings for a side check - that appears to have been removed for this type of show.

http://www.hightimephotos.com/CarolinaCarriageClub/CCC-Pleasure-and-Dressage-Show/31-Allison-Jones-Blue-Blazes/i-SRJqkBd

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this exact same bridle, there was a question about the over check being removable and if the over check is some how attached to the blinkers. No to both questions. The slots on the bridle crown cannot accept the wide leather. I have used this with both a nose band through the bit end loops and a regular cavesson nose band. I did get keepers for down near the bit end to keep thing tidy. Hope that helps!

Took some pics of the head gear and thingie I'm calling a devil's tail. =)FB_IMG_1504543158889.jpgFB_IMG_1504543160912.jpgFB_IMG_1504543162948.jpgFB_IMG_1504543165138.jpgFB_IMG_1504543167198.jpgFB_IMG_1504543169612.jpgFB_IMG_1504543172310.jpgFB_IMG_1504543176007.jpg

The best part of that bridle is the blinker stays,they are a generous length and they really work and keep they blinkers away from their eyes. It is a pet peeve of mine when the blinker stays are flimsy and have to be constantly pulled away from their face. My husband made me a longer "devils tail" for Cappy as he has a LONG neck and needed about an inch added to the length. I don't know what it is technically called, but devils tail fits, doesn't it. Probably called a water hook tab, maybe. I dunno.

The most recent bridle I bought, I sent to a leather guy and he replaced the flimsy wire in the blinders with a heavier wire. One of the wires broke. Nor could I keep the blinders adjusted. I think the wire was that kind that is in bread twisties. Why use that on a good quality bridle, I have no idea. Maybe for weight? Or to give a more refined look? Everything else about it is very nice.

that is my pet peeve with harness' i can't stand the flimsy wire they use. i just bought the blinker part from chimucum tack and it was expensive i thought, but it is worth it's weight in gold. no more problems with keeping the blinkers out of Charlie's eyes. really worth the money.

Odd Q, but can you not slip in a new wire of your choosing?

Hmm, I guess maybe the path wouldn't be wide enough on some or oddly 'locked' in place.

I do agree, the wire in these is quite nice.

Odd Q, but can you not slip in a new wire of your choosing?

Hmm, I guess maybe the path wouldn't be wide enough on some or oddly 'locked' in place.

I do agree, the wire in these is quite nice.
No, one cannot slip in a new wire. The blinder wires must be remade for the heavier wire and resewn. Glad yours is nice!

Latest posts

Back