2017 projects

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I accumulate men's silk ties. I think they are so luscious. I've made tree skirts with them before, but now I think I may try a quilt. This is a pattern I've worked up. I am thinking I will make all the shirts white, but vary the collar colors to match the ties. Any thoughts before I purchase fabric? The tie is appliqued onto the square.

This is just a rough square made with random fabric scraps to see if my pattern works.

shirt tie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I accumulate men's silk ties. I think they are so luscious. I've made tree skirts with them before, but now I think I may try a quilt. This is a pattern I've worked up. I am thinking I will make all the shirts white, but vary the collar colors to match the ties. Any thoughts before I purchase fabric? The tie is appliqued onto the square.

This is just a rough square made with random fabric scraps to see if my pattern works.
I like it. And, I think coordinating the collars with the ties sounds fun and interesting.

Wonderful! Would be a great paper piecing project, but appliqué works too. Can't wait to see it come together.

That scene is neatly done! I don't know anything about paper piecing. I have drawn a design, then cut out the pieces to make a pattern, but it was always for applique. The mother and baby is a greeting card size. The cotton picker was for a Fair project with many cotton-related pieces on the display. One older lady, who remembered picking cotton, drew back in horror when she saw it.

My parents grew cotton and my mother used to set me at the end of the cotton row when she picked. My older brother was born in October, cotton picking season. A friend said she would rather be picking cotton than childbirth. My mother said she would rather have childbirth over picking cotton.

apliquemother.jpg

cottonaplique.jpg

Not sure I'll ever make another, but made this little tote for a friend. It has a plain pocket and flap pocket inside.

It's 10x10" folded, 10x20" open plus handles.

2017 - mistys card tote - inside.jpg2017 - Mistys card tote.jpg

It as very time consuming for such a little project. I made it up as I went, so had no idea if it would turn out.
Oh yes, those are the projects one may not care to repeat. Figuring out the pattern is hard, and then one has no idea how a second one will turn out!

My silk tie squares are accumulating. I decided on all white shirts and collars to go with the ties.

I couldn't find a pattern that fit what I needed, so just looked at a couple pictures and winged it for the size and style I needed.

That is so cute. Love the look, it's going to be great all put together.

The recipient of the little tote, loves it, and thinks I should make them to sell. Not sure about that, but may make another up and give it a go; if it's not a hit, I'm only out the time to make one more.

Not sure I'll ever make another, but made this little tote for a friend. It has a plain pocket and flap pocket inside.

It's 10x10" folded, 10x20" open plus handles.

attachicon.gif
2017 - mistys card tote - inside.jpg
attachicon.gif
2017 - Mistys card tote.jpg

Very nice!!

My silk tie quilt top is close. I ordered some thin webbing to iron on the back of the tie fabric. I will try to use the left over silk as a border. Not sure it will work. I saw a fluer dlis quilt stencil that might work for the squares. I thought that would be a good design for the tie squares. Might just send it off to be quilted; I think machine quilting seems so much more sturdy and usable than hand quilting.

Off to Waco, TX tomorrow for a button show! Frankly, I'm looking forward to three days away from animals and housework.

That's looking really good.

I've put about the blue and yellow for now, as it has 80 triangle blocks that need squaring up; but yes, I plan to use the blue floral for a border. It'll be fall before I get back to it.

I started a quicker quilt that I can finish up in a couple weeks time (I have at least 3 more blocks to make, maybe more, depending on if it's going to be a table topper or a lap quilt):

2017 - horoscope quilt.jpg

Went to a Ben Franklin Crafts store yesterday. I was actually looking for velvet to attempt something for a friend, didn't find anything but red, which won't work. Couldn't help but look at their fabrics and found a lovely little collection of fabrics I had to have, probably should have bought more, but have enough for a lap quilt. The bottom is a stripe, but was cut-off in the picture.

butterfly fabric - Jody Ann.jpg

Back