Heat N Bond

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing an applique project using heat n bond. It is my state, with the 77 counties. I spent a lot of money and went to a lot of trouble to do the counties. I bought 1/4 yard of lots of different materials. The stupid heat n bond must be defective. I thought it was bonded at first, then all the fabric pieces seemed to just let go. I've sewn many of them down with a blanket stitch, but some I will have to remake as the edges frayed. And I don't have any more of some of the material. I'm really frustrated with it. It is the heat n bond that goes through the printer. I will buy some that I have to trace onto the paper backing and see if it works better when I redo the frayed counties. Feel like throwing the whole project in the trash. You can see the pieces lifted off and many fell off totally. And it is almost as though the product caused the fabric to shrink, as the edges do not abut anymore. I went to a lot of trouble to have them all fit neatly.

My plan was do it into a wall hanging, or incorporate it into a quilt.

Anyone else use this product? Any suggestions about a different product?

map.jpg

Did you use an ink-jet printer or another type? Must be ink-jet not laser. You may be able to use Ailenes fabric glue to save the pieces, I feel your pain on trying to save the project.

I tried dots of glue to save the pieces but the edges frayed. I bought some heat n bond that is the kind you have to draw on, not use the printer, today and it is working better. I am redoing a lot of counties. Some I had no extra fabric, like the Route 66 and horse shoe ones, so tried to save them. The printer heat n bond is worthless; don't waste your creative energy and money on it. It isn't the printing that is the problem, it is the adhesive.

I'm just going to write a little paragraph about the project when I get finished; the frayed counties will be part of its "story". Or, it might all go in the trash if I feel it is too much of a mess when I finish.

You are always so inventing and inspiring with all your projects, very impressive. I love your counties. There is a heat bonding product you can buy that the bonding material comes by the yard in a loose sheet separate from the paper, I cannot think of the label at the moment, but it is very thin and can see through it. I have used it to tear off small pieces to place under areas of applique or whatever, to iron them back down. It works. Have to use a pressing cloth to protect your iron.

Speaking of glues, etc., there is a product I think is called 'fray check', it comes in a small squeeze bottle to apply on frayed edges to stop the fraying.

Another product that I use for MANY things, it is a jewelry glue I purchased at Michaels, Aleenes 'jewel-it-', and is the best I have ever used to glue anything, even china, and it dries clear and it holds, even a handle on a coffee cup. You have to give it a good drying time for best results..

I used some Stiffy to secure edges on one county. Hope it will help. I thought of fray check, too. Maybe the Stiffy will work out. The heat n bond with the paper seems to be working better. I am starting to feel my project can be saved. Thanks for the ideas.

Can you find Wonder Under in your area? It is an iron on material that has paper backing, you iron it onto the piece you want to glue down, then peel backing off and iron it to the permanent surface. It is machine washable too. I use it to patch holes in clothes and horse blankets, has worked great for me. I really like your projects, you are very creative. I completely understand your frustration with the project not going together like you planned. When things like that happen to me I have to walk away and take a break from it otherwise I lose interest in the project due to being disappointed with the progress/or results. If you cannot replace the frayed pieces, what about outlining them in similarly colored bias tape? It may blend in and disguise the frayibg without drawing too much attention to it. I cannot wait to see it when it is completed.

I used to use Wonder Under. I guess the reason I used heat n bond this time is because the USA map project I did with my grand daughter used it. I didn't like it then, either, but I forgot about Wonder Under.

I'm taking my state map to the quilt group this week to see if someone will piece it for me into a twin size. There is a quilt pattern called "Road to Oklahoma" I want to use.

I want to mark the county seats; thinking of using a french knot using perle cotton. I don't want to use anything too bulky, like a button.

I showed my state project to the quilting group today and they will help me get it pieced. They are sponsoring a big quilt show this weekend and there will be several fabric vendors. I will be able to choose some good fabric for my project. I'm feeling more hopeful about its successful completion. I have pieced quilts before, but I do not really enjoy it. I might try hand quilting it after it is pieced.

Glad you were able to find someone to help locally and a show with vendors is awesome, don't get overwhelmed with all the choices. Happy fabric shopping.

Latest posts

Back