She's getting close!! --She's here !!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondie2003

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I rescued this mare back in July, 2015 and was told she was 6 months pregnant. In December, when no baby arrived, my vet did an ultrasound, and based on the fetal eye measurements, she I'd due today, March 11, 2016. Based on these pictures, can anyone tell me how much longer they think she might be? Thank you all for your help.

20160311_070442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The udder doesn't look filled at all, but if shes a maiden mare it may not fill until shes got the foal literally hanging out. All mares are different though, and even the experienced ones keep people guessing.

Have you any other photos of her? From the back, and the side maybe?

Her udder is bigger between her legs, like from the rear than it is up front...is that normal? It's my first time and hers. Thank you for any and all help.

Did the vet tell you how many days he figured that March 11 due date would be? Minis can foal as early as 300 days, go average of around 320 days or go up to a year or a bit more. Maidens don't read the foaling book, so they can be very unpredictable. My mares as maidens went two at 307 days and two at about 320 days. [My saddle horses went as long as 360 days as a maiden, then closer to the average of around 340 days next time.]

Are her butt muscles soft? Can you get any liquid from her teats? If you get liquid, is it sticky?

Yes, she is a maiden, by the vets guess. I have no history on her. I rescued her from a slaughter lot in Texas.

Ok, now she has lots of swelling in front of her udder. Her bag still isn't very full, but she's got definite edema in front of her udder. Is this normal? I will try to post a picture.

20160313_173202.jpg

She is looking good but I think you have a little way to go yet.

Are you able to get a couple of other photos for us so we can see how the foal is laying. Diane explained how to take them in an earlier post.

Her udder will continue to grow and her nipples will fill, separate and point down.

Hats off to you for rescuing her
default_smile.png

best of luck for a safe arrival
default_thumbup.gif

I will try to post some more pics. I sent them to someone that said they would try to post them, but I'm not sure what happened. If they're like me, they have just been too busy. I will try again. It won't let me, it keeps saying they are too big

What a lovely mare, glad we were able to see her pretty face, I have a mare very similar to her
default_smile.png

Being a maiden , your guess is as good as ours. lol

The picture that Diane asked you to post looking from behind , you can see that the foal is still riding sideways. Keep a close watch at that angle, you will notice she will become slab sided and her sides wont stick out as noticeably as they are now. She may not bag up completely until the time comes but dont worry everything's looking good.

You just need to make sure you have ordered in bulk for coffee and toothpicks to keep your eyes open
default_smile.png

Thank you both. Today she was pawing, dropping and rolling. I guess trying to reposition baby. Her stools have started being less like fecal balls and more watery. I'm really praying this,weekend will be the one. I'm betting on a colt, because the kicks it used to give were massive. Thank you everyone for all of your prayers and support.

I will try to post some pictures from this morning. Today she's been very restless. She's gotten up and down 5 times in a 5 minute period.

20160319_074308.jpg

Hi, well, she's still pregnant, but her bag is getting bigger. Anyway, I know I read about distocias on here somewher. Where can I get the diagrams and article again. I'm praying I won't need it, but I'd rather have and not need it, instead of the other way around. Thank you all.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm so ready to meet this baby and I'm praying for an easy delivery. I will try to get a picture of her vulva, but her tail area is usually a big no no with her. If I sit with her in her stall at night, I might be able to snap a picture after she potties. Wish me luck, and thank you for posting pictures and encouraging me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back