My little Pony has come a long way!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instructor/trainer loves my horse...
default_thumbup.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

201.jpg

So what is your trainer going to be teaching him? How long is he staying?
Trot and canter, so I can take him on trails. He's staying until the 4th of February, then coming home for 2wks while the trainer is out of town, then back for at least another 30 days. That month, I hope to be able to start taking him onto the trails they have as well.

Will be riding 3x a week with my boy starting next week, hopefully.
Going back Thursday to practice with him.
Video stills of today's practice. And his very first true trot while mounted!
clear.png

Trainer really loves him. Said he isn't spooky, tries for the person and really takes care of the rider. Tehehe, already knew that, he's the greatest pony!
love.gif

Screenshot (836).jpgScreenshot (838).jpgScreenshot (849).jpgScreenshot (850).jpg

It's really nice to see that some instructors still work with beginning (?you are a beginner, or need some work on balancing exercises, right?) riders that way!!

Your boy looks good - keep up the good work.

It's really nice to see that some instructors still work with beginning (?you are a beginner, or need some work on balancing exercises, right?) riders that way!!

Your boy looks good - keep up the good work.
I used to take lessons as a kid, but they were group lessons for suburban kids, so no real learning how to actually ride. Very obvious when she first had her horse trot, only good thing she said about it is that I didn't freak out or fall and such, lol. The other trainer there, when I had one lesson with him, he said I was surprisingly great for a beginner. But I thank my gelding for that, bareback riding also has helped a ton with my posture (I'm an inch taller now! =0) I just naturally sit up nicely as soon as I get on a horse, it's the most random thing! lol.

The exercises are more for getting me stretched and deeper in the seat. Been riding the gelding bareback for a year, so balance at a walk is easy peasy.

I took 6(?) lessons with her and her horse to get me up to speed, sitting and posting the trot OK. For now, it's more of me helping to get the gelding riding well with her on the ground to direct and get him moving if need be. Soon though, I'll be doing a lot more trotting practice of my own with him.

Never been at a barn before or had a horse of mine in training, so IDK if I'm allowed to ride him on other days by myself. I forgot to ask before, hoping it's okay, so I can practice bareback riding some more and get some relaxed horse time in with him. I know I can visit with him anytime, but it never hit me to ask about riding him on my own there.

She had to switch days for our paired lesson today. It's 28F. =/ Going tomorrow instead. It makes me wonder if I should keep him at home until March for his second month. I don't want him sitting around on these extra cold days and doing nothing.

Just heard back, I can randomly show up and ride! =)

Didn't want to step on toes and go over the line if I wasn't allowed.

Going to head out with DH for a short ride today in a bit. Going to have my helmet cam on or put it on a fence post.

Need help to make sure the growing stallion doesn't weasel his way out when I move my guy out, if they are in the paddock, thus DH is coming along!

Used my bosal, hanger and slightly shorter reins today. We trotted lots more on our own and were working on having him keep on trotting and not stopping when he felt like it. Needed a riding crop some, but he got much better by the end. =)
Going to record tomorrow's practice.

I have been following this thread since you started it January last year.

From a horse that was scared of everything to how he is now, I think you should be really proud of how far you have come with this horse.

You have done so much ground work with him and it really has benefited him greatly.

best wishes for your future success with him
default_smile.png

I have been following this thread since you started it January last year.

From a horse that was scared of everything to how he is now, I think you should be really proud of how far you have come with this horse.

You have done so much ground work with him and it really has benefited him greatly.

best wishes for your future success with him
default_smile.png
Thanks so much!!

I am super proud of him! He has taught me more than I ever thought possible, about him and myself. I love him dearly!! Maybe it's what some people call a "heart-horse".
default_wub.png

My instructor and his trainer, she always gloats about him to everyone who we run into at the barn. She loves him and she always stops to tell others how wonderful he is for where he came from/started from.

I've recently been thinking that he will become a
default_hypocrite.gif
(saint) of a horse!

Instructor said to me today that he would make a great lesson pony. =D He's a very good boy, really is sensitive and careful for his rider's safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night, I tripped on the lumpy and frozen rock hard ground and beat the tar outta myself, so I'm hoping it won't interfere too much with riding. If it does, I'll call it a day early.
Instructor is a bit snowed in and not coming to the barn today.
If I get permission to use the saddle she uses for the gelding, then I'll go myself and work with him, hopefully on transitions up to trot and back down to walk and moving off from a stop.(Instructor would like more practice of that.)
I'll still record it to share with you guys. =)

Stayed home, too beat up from last night's fall and too much to do before our snowstorm. We are expecting anywhere from 10 inches, up to 30+!!! =0

What a fail! Helmet cam was pointing too north! Only good screenshot, sorry.

Will just leave the cam on the wall from now on. Screenshot (913).jpg

Bit late to update, sorry. Had a colic scare with him the other day.

According to the horse weight tape, he has lost weight. Was 898, now 848.

Arrow in last pic shows a fake, flattened cow that scared him.

Screenshot (916).jpgScreenshot (920).jpgScreenshot (922).jpgScreenshot (924).jpgScreenshot (927).jpgScreenshot (929).jpgScreenshot (931).jpgScreenshot (933).jpg

Mules, he does not like them. Not terrified or anything like that, just likes to keep an eye on them and a little buffer space.

He was fine with all the people, trailers, noise, actual horses, but those mules....

Heh.

He was a little better at listening today, but the sudden rise in temperature gave me a bad headache and I just couldn't concentrate. Left after about an hour of riding, in arena, outside ring, in the snow and then back in the arena.

There were horizontal moving pool noodles on barrels that were a little disconcerting, but he did much better than the mule he was iffy about. I walked him to and through all the obsticals first, then, when he stood still long enough (again, those mules...must watch them!) I mounted and we went through everything. We tried to pass the mules, but then it had the gall to move! Oh no, it moves! Hah. There was a tarp on the ground, but he's seen those. The mule wasn't happy about it. I was proud of my guy that he was more brave than the mule, but the mule listened and walked on more easily than my boy, who is directionaly challenged. That flat sheep-cow, mounted, we got about 15ft from it before he just wouldn't go closer, at least he didn't walk away from it quickly today.

Doors were open, so we still couldn't trot, even when the long-ears left. Open doors have a horse sucking, magnetic effect on my guy, lol. But he passed them more easily today.

Day was kinda a bust, but ah well. At the same time, it was a lot of exposure for him and me, so still a fair day.

Tomorrow, everything should be gone and calm, so will try to practice trotting then.

No pics, sorry. Left my phone in my car and my instructor borrowed my car. Her's was trapped by all the horse trailers.

Didn't turn the camera on at the start. Then instructor rode him some, cus he doesn't listen this week. Then I hopped back on.
Tomorrow, have a morning session. But it's supposed to rain, so probably indoor work.

This first pic is of the instructor.

2015_0102_020324_001m.jpgScreenshot (936)m.jpgScreenshot (937).jpgScreenshot (938).jpg

He's home!
Flawlessly meshed back in with his little herd, as if he never left. And is now he is laying down and relaxing! I don't think he has been able to do so all month long. He looks so mellow now.

DSC_0193.jpg12524070_1107148132652027_9008719530220954214_n.jpg12647112_1107148015985372_7561034586875360712_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back