Bandy's Foaling Thread - Round 2!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CUTE!!!
default_wub.png

Oh many congratulations on your fabulous little filly - what a pretty little girl, Bandy has done you proud, bless her! So glad it all went well - keep those pictures coming please.
default_yes.gif

Questions and Photos...

Hi All, First here are a few more photos from today. The baby is still doing great, as is mom. Bandy has actually been very active since the baby came - she (Bandy) has surprised me with how much she plays with and runs with the foal. It has been great for both of them. Before Bandy foaled I was starting to get a bit anxious as she was getting so cresty and she has never done that before. She has always stayed quite slim and at a healthy weight. After just five days, though, there is a noticeable difference in the crest starting to shrink and hopefully it will eventually go away!

Onto a few of my questions that I would appreciate opinions and suggestions on. First, NAME suggestions are welcome - we still don't have any idea what we are going to name this baby. I hope to send off registration paperwork before too long, so we have to get a name figured out! Next, initially I was planning on just breeding the once and then being done, but for a few different reasons we have decided to breed Bandy back this year. (a. we love how the foal turned out so much we'd love a sibling, b. we had our second child this year and would love to have a second foal for the second kiddo, and c. d. e. and more reasons). Anyway, I have made arrangements to breed her to the same stallion as last year so next years foal will be a full sibling.

As I haven't bred a mare two consecutive years before, I thought I'd ask you all for thoughts. I am definitely skipping the foal heat (which should probably be starting any day now), but plan to breed during the next heat cycle in about three weeks or so. Is this when you all typically breed back, or do you wait an additional heat cycle? Bandy did have some minor tearing, so I will wait until that is completely healed - but otherwise is there any reason to wait longer? I will also be having the vet come out in about a week and a half for a reproductive exam to double check that Bandy is healthy and okay to be bred again. Is there anything else I should be mindful of? Bandy is currently 17 years old, this was her second foal, and we will definitely only be breeding her one final time for another baby next year (her third foal).

Thanks!

WD_0001.jpeg

WD_0002.jpeg

WD_0003.jpeg

WD_0004.jpeg

Brody Cant help you with a name, I am glad to hear tho that you will be breeding her again. Especially seeing as tho a mare as lovely as Brandy, produces such gorgeous Foals as the little filly you now have.

My uncle currently has a 21yo broodmare in foal due late August. She has produced a lot of class racehorses in her time. She hasn't carried this one as well as previous ones. I think this is her 11th foal and will be her last. The vet came out not that long ago & advised my uncle that this should be her last foal.

Cant wait to hear what name you have chosen for your little Filly. Ill second Diane in saying I too cant wait to see another little "Beauty" born next year too.

Cheers Ryan

Hey All,

Thought I would do a one month update! Can't believe it has already been a month since I was agonizing over when the foal would get here! We ended up naming her Molly, and she has turned into quite the friendly and playful little thing! Also, Bandy has been cleared to breed again and we now have the stallion back at our place as well. Just waiting for Bandy to come into standing heat - which should hopefully be in the next few days.

Meanwhile, here are a few photos I took this morning.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are a few more pics. The last couple have my whole 'herd' in them. I put my gelding back in with them about a week ago and they have been doing great together. In the one photo you can see Molly (the foal) stealing a bit of hay from my geldings mouth
default_smile.png
. I am glad he is so good with her so we can safely keep them all together.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for the nice comments. Thought I would drop in to share one quick photo/experience from today. If you look in the photo you can see a bear making his way across our place! The horses were going crazy, and so I went out to check on them. I thought there might be a dear or fox - as they pass through regularly - but instead I found a black bear. The bear tested the fence (which I am grateful is electric and was actually turned on, as I usually have it off when I am home) and then quickly left after getting zapped. The horses and I are still a bit wound up over it! We have been here for four years now and this is the first bear I have ever seen... Glad it was uneventful, though, and everyone is safe!

On the foaling front - Bandy has been in standing heat for a couple days now and very receptive of the stallion- so I am hopeful that we will be a go for another foal next year
default_smile.png

image.jpg

Question for you all... At what age do you usually first trim your foals? Molly's legs are straight and not toed out or in - so there is no corrective trimming needed (which would be reason to intervene early). So I was just curious about when you started with regular hoof care and trimming? I am in the process of moving my horses on 'track' full time - following the "Pasture Paradise" model - so they get a lot of regular wear on their hooves and I only end up needing to rasp and reshape a little every 4-6 weeks. I don't know if I should add Molly to the regimen quite yet or just let nature takes its course for a few months. All thoughts and experience is much appreciated!

I agree - any early attention to leg and foot handling is always a good idea. Slow and steady, make it a game and dont keep hold more than a few seconds to start with to give them a chance to learn about 'balance'. You may just need to rasp a little off the toes or heels as time goes passed, and find that that is all that is needed until regular farrier check become necessary - from appox weaning onwards if not needed before.

Thank you Diane and Anna for your responses. I have spent a lot of time handling her feet and legs so she is comfortable with that - I was just thinking I was intervening too earlier by trimming now. However, it sounds like that is what you both do - so I will plan on trimming her a bit this weekend - probably just rasping off the pointed toes to help balance her out a bit. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Just saw both of your responses - I am overdue for taking new photos. I will try to manage that tomorrow, or definitely by Monday! Also, I managed to get her feet trimmed yesterday - didn't take too long, she did well, and her feet look MUCH better!

gosh a bear how terrifying! I'm with you on that one Ryan, very glad the only bears we have hear are in Zoo's and I don't think theres many there either haha

she is gorgeous! can't wait to see the new pics :D

Thanks all - still haven't managed to get out to take some photos. We had some crazy rainstorms the past couple days (flash flood right through our property yesterday... that hasn't every happened before). Fortunately we got the horses all up in the shelter which is on high ground before the rain got too bad and the flooding started - well, they managed to move themselves to the shelter once the down poor started
default_smile.png
- and then I safely locked them in! Fortunately no damage other than a LOT of debris washed into the yard. Tomorrow is supposed to clear up, so hopefully I can get out there and clean up a bit and get some photos to share.

how scary! I will happily take some of the rain off your hands :D lol

I just don't want the flooding ok? can you organise that for me? hehe

Well, finally - here are some updated photos from this morning. Most of them ended up with her nose right in the camera
default_smile.png
. She is always right at my heal whenever I walk in the pasture now so it is hard to get a good photo from a distance, but there are a few!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back