Cooking mistakes we learn the hard way

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has made more then my share of mistakes in the kitchen. I'm making a spicy sauce for chops tonight and it brought to mind a horrable mistake I made a couple of years back. We had a bumper crop of peppers, so hubby decided to freeze them. He put them in small freezer bags then put them in plastic containers and marked them. I was making sausage and peppers for dinner. Thought I would spice it up and add a jelopenia pepper. Got the tub out of the freezer marked as such and cut and added the pepper. OH MY! All of a sudden I was coughing, eyes running, had to get out of the kitchen, thought I was having a bad allergy attack. Finally got myself back together and went back to check dinner, didn't want it to burn, same reaction. Turned off the stove, grabbed a spoonful and went into the family room, were I tasted it, it was so hot and spicy I couldn't swallow it. Hubby tasted it and said well why did you put a habanero pepper in it you know you don't like them. I told him I got it out of the one marked jelopino and it was green. Needless to say I had to throw it all away, couldn't eat any of it. Good night for pizza. So what mistakes have you all made?

What about the one almost everyone seems to make? Leaving the package of giblets inside the turkey and roasting it! I know I did it the first time out, my sister did it and then her daughter did it her first time. Seems others always tell me it's happened to them too.

Haven't got another good one at the moment.

What about the one almost everyone seems to make? Leaving the package of giblets inside the turkey and roasting it! I know I did it the first time out, my sister did it and then her daughter did it her first time. Seems others always tell me it's happened to them too.

Haven't got another good one at the moment.
Along this line, my sister made a simple pie for a school function using a ready-made crust, she didn't take the clear plastic cover off the crust before adding the filling; so had to start over.

Gosh just remembered something about turkey that happened many years ago. Back when I was a young wife, just learning the ropes, I bought a frozen turkey for thanksgiving. I bought it two days before and put it in the fridge to thaw. Well it didn't thaw all the way by morning, so I put it in the sick upside down in cold water and since the kids were still sleeping, I went back to bed. Got up a couple of hours later and went to check the turkey and get it into the oven. Wouldn't you know our cat had gotten on to the counter and started eating the back of the turkey. I didn't know what to do, so I cut off as much as I could and went ahead and cooked it. It came out fine, and I was the only one that knew what the cat had done, except for the cat of course.

My daughter tried to make fudge and called to ask how long it took to harden. Harden? I can hardly get it out of the pot before it starts to "set". Turns out she used the large can of evaporated milk instead of the small can. And yes, she can read....sigh. She had this really large batch of chocolate "sludge" which she and her boy friend ate anyway. I bet she pays more attention the next time she attempts fudge.

You know how you basically follow a recipe; because a lot of the time if you change it around too much you end up with a failure? Well, I can't figure out how my husband manages to twist and tweak recipes and they come out great! I keep telling him 'you can't do that' and he does and it works!

Latest posts

Back