KID CUISINE??? Please share!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
H and I do not have any 2-legged kids to feed, but our nephews and nieces range from 3yo - 21yo
default_wub.png
And, I won't even try to say that H and I do not also still "love us some" kid cuisine
default_biggrin.png

What do you all like to do for the kids in your families? And have you updated some of your own childhood favorites to a more adult status? DETAILS, please. Not a one of us here doesn't like to eat
default_eat.gif

It's not fancy, but an honest favorite of mine is a slightly updated version of:

BEANS & FRANKS (just a little bit grown up):

1-2 packages of hot dogs (we use "Great Dogs" chicken hot dogs)

2-3 cans (depending on size) undrained baked beans

3-5 diced bell peppers

1-2 diced onions

2 tbs olive oil

Too Taste: worcestershire sauce, brown Sugar, BBQ Sauce, Mustard, Garlic, Splenda, Etc . (what you and your family like)

A lot of us may have outgrown loving this, but I just never did! I tried to make it more "healthy" with a lot of peppers and onions, and by using chicken hot dogs (like them better than regular... though it is seriously KICK BUTT if you use "half smokes" vs. hot dogs!).

I just put a little olive oil (our whatever you have) into a big pot and let that start to heat on low while I dice lots of bell peppers and onions. Add that in, then slice up the hot dogs and add them in. Let that go on low, with a lid, stirring occasionally in your favorite type of baked beans, undrained. It's too taste. I like a lot of veggies and beans per hot dog. I doctor ours with sauces and spices as to our taste (as per above).

It's good! It happens here a couple times a month including tonight. Something I didn't ever grow up to be tired of
default_smile.png

WHAT ABOUT YOU? What do you make for the kids in your life, or what have you updated for your adult tastebuds from your own childhood favorites?
default_eat.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I make these for us, not kids but we love them. Fast and easy mini corn dogs. I cut hot dogs in bite size pieces, mix a box of Jiffy Cornbread mix. Put a spoon of cornbread mix in a muffin tin, add a piece of hot dog and then cover with more cornbread mix. Bake until done. I also have one of those old sandwich makers, that toasts on both sides and seals the edges and middle, put cornbread mix in each pocket, one piece of hot dog in the middle, close the lid and cook until done. Yes, we still love corn dogs.

That sounds so good, Karen, and I am for sure going to try it. I have been craving corn dogs, and I have all the ingredients on hand! Very cool idea
default_eat.gif

I think this corndog thing is going to be our dinner tomorrow!
default_eat.gif
I have some bell peppers I need to use and was thinking of sautéing them with the cut up hot dogs before adding them to the batter (?).

Make some mini meatballs and cook then mix into mac n' cheese!

Make meatloaf in muffin cups (grate and add in carrots) bake top with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese and heat more to melt.

Make homemade chicken nuggets or tenders (bake with a crispy crust) and their favorite dip. See if they will eat homemade sweet potato fries (oven).

Mini pizzas made on english muffins.

All that sounds YUM to me!!! I'm sharing it with my sister (who does cook for kids) but will also try it out for H and myself
default_eat.gif

There are also cool cookbooks in the children's section in the library's that have quick, easy and fun recipes that kid's will usually eat and can make or help make. I like to check them out for quick meals, lunches, snacks, etc. for ourselves even.

Latest posts

Back