Please share what you are working on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know Mother's Day this year is May 12th. Done way ahead of time, but that is better than late. In order to get things done for birthdays and holidays, I plan ahead. I also kinda know what colors to use for family and when I see something that I think would work for them, that is when I purchase it. This fell together so fast once I got started on it that I now have plenty of time to start on my mom's present for Mother's Day. I also get to look at this one for awhile and get ideas flowing for the next one made with extra material that I bought for those cute little birds....next time in blue instead of the red-orange.

What are you working on or planning?

Lois

LOL! I was just curious and making sure I did not miss mothers day!! I can't wait to see that birdie blanket in blue!!! For me, I'm working on those jelly rolls. I have the blanket mostly done( has been for about 2 weeks), I just need to buckle down and put my backing on. I also have a pattern for a cute little purse that I want to make. I think that's what I'll make my mom for mothers day!!!! A little purse in pink!!

Last edited by a moderator:
No pics, as its still mostly in my head, but working on another horse quilt similar to the first. Same horse fabrics, but different sashing/border fabric, and slightly different arrangement. Already had all the horse prints cut in 6" squares, so just working with the sashing fabric to see what I want to do with it.

Hi Chanda,

I found this cute picture on the internet of sashing and just love this. I know that some day I will use this but thought it might be something you would like. It is so fun and l love the border that it puts around the entire set of blocks (which could be squares).

My projects are on hold at the moment, personal issues are taking over for awhile. Glad I finished the last one.

Keep sharing...love hearing and seeing what everyone is working on.

Lois

Well here is my first try at purses! I think the purple one should have had a purple zipper and thread but I'm happy with just doing it on my own! LOL! I can tweek it when I make more!

IMG_0360.jpg

Wow, good work! I love them both. I see many more purses in your future projects.

Starting a lap quilt for my husband. His new recliner is being delivered today, so I can start looking for fabric. This will be fun!

Wow, good work! I love them both. I see many more purses in your future projects.
LOL!! Thanks! My MIL gave me the patten and said come over I'll teach you how! I went Sunday and she's cranking them out! I hope she has a plan to sell them or she'll have a boat load of purses!!! LOL!

Starting a lap quilt for my husband. His new recliner is being delivered today, so I can start looking for fabric. This will be fun!
Are you using your stash fabric or new store stuff? Can't wait to see!

Mostly stash fabric....lots of guy stuff patterns (Green, brown, beiges, tans, fish) and he wants Realtree Camo fabric for the back and maybe I'll use some for the outer log cabin strips if it looks right (Realtree camo fabric I will have to order). So I'm waiting to see the real color of the recliner (will be delivered today) before I decide which camo fabric to use and which of my stash fabrics will look right. Never realized there were so many variations of camouflage fabric. I pulled my stash fabric out yesterday (about 25 different fabrics) and had to buy a quilting pattern of a fish for hopefully a few blocks to be quilted with, maybe in the corners of the border.

I am trying to use some log cabin squares in the center...still getting it written out on paper and figuring the sizes of the pieces. Might be nice to make a matching pillow for this one. I don't have a lot of light prints so I am still thinking on those...they may end up being solid light colors.

I can kinda see it already but still not set in stone. (the center of the log cabin blocks will be a dark red brick pattern)

Anyone have any tips or ideas for making the log cabin pattern?. I haven't done this pattern before so I can use any info you can share.

Lois

Anyone have any tips or ideas for making the log cabin pattern?. I haven't done this pattern before so I can use any info you can share.

Lois
I suck at Log Cabin, and can't follow my own recommendations, but here goes... Be very accurate with your cutting and piecing, be sure of your 1/4" seam (or scant 1/4" seam) and take your time.

Charley, log cabin tips for you. I have made a log cabin by cutting each piece of the block separately. Also made some using the strip piecing method that is easier in my book.

You need a base square (Like muslin) in the size of the finished block. Fold corner to corner to find the center and tack your red square in the center.

Cut strips, let's say 1 1/2" in any length using your roller cutter.

Begin by placing the first strip next to your square, sew one side and trim off the strip to fit the square. Next strip placed on another side, sew the same the same but including the last strip already on your center.Go round and round sewing and cutting strips off to fit the next size you have created. I think counter clockwise, not positive.

Strips must be accurate and seams exact or you will go off course. Hard to explain without a visual.

You are so talented I know you will be able to figure out my feeble explanation.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds a little more complicated than I thought. But I'm ready to start cutting tomorrow. Got it all planned out on paper today. Hope it works out without too much seam ripping. Still have to order the camo fabric, but want to get going on it with my stash fabrics.

Charley, log cabin tips for you. I have made a log cabin by cutting each piece of the block separately. Also made some using the strip piecing method that is easier in my book.

You need a base square (Like muslin) in the size of the finished block. Fold corner to corner to find the center and tack your red square in the center.

Cut strips, let's say 1 1/2" in any length using your roller cutter.

Begin by placing the first strip next to your square, sew one side and trim off the strip to fit the square. Next strip placed on another side, sew the same the same but including the last strip already on your center.Go round and round sewing and cutting strips off to fit the next size you have created. I think counter clockwise, not positive.

Strips must be accurate and seams exact or you will go off course. Hard to explain without a visual.

You are so talented I know you will be able to figure out my feeble explanation.

Be very accurate with your cutting and piecing, be sure of your 1/4" seam (or scant 1/4" seam) and take your time.
It all makes sense so I will go slow and try to be precise. I like the idea of sewing and then trimming.

Lois

I have a couple questions.

1. I always prewash my fabric but understand that when quilting classes are taught now that they say it isn't necessary. I was thinking that it maybe because I use polyester (I think, I know it isn't cotton) batting instead of cotton (I have tried the cotton but like the high loft batting as it is puffier).

2. Does the cotton batting come in different weights? Do they make something like high loft in the cotton?

3. I also match my thread to the fabric when I sew and the lady at the quilt shop says all she uses is tan, white and black.

Just wondering, what are your thoughts on these things?

All are personal preference.

I never pre-wash, I like using the new fabric as is (and to be honest, I'm lazy, so don't want the extra work). So far, I don't think its been detrimental to my projects.

Cotton batting does come in different weights, but I don't think any straight cotton battings are going to come in lofts that even come close to polyester, you might have some luck in the cotton/poly blend batts. If you have a fabric shop close by, go in and check out the batts and see what you like. I always use cotton batting, mostly Warm & Natural (its pretty flat), so I really don't have a clue about the different batts. Hold on a sec, let me check my box and see if I still have the swatches from a couple different batt companies and see if I can offer any suggestions... Nope, not really, found a couple samples, but they were really squished flat from storage. I still think if you want to try cotton but like the loft of poly, your best bet would be to try a blend.

For piecing, yes you can use just tan, white and black. I actually do most of my piecing with whatever is handy, usually a cream or tan; but lately I've been piecing a lot with pink in the top and white in the bobbin. Just happen to have a huge spool of pink and I'm using it up piecing. [i just try to match tones when I can, or at the very least not use black on light colored fabrics, as it usually shows through.]

I don't wash my fabrics but I do put them still folded in warm water in the sink to soak for a few minutes to allow any shrinkage or color bleed to happen and hang to dry.

I have always used only white thread in sewing and only white quilting thread in quilting.

Only used polyester batting with a glaze finish after discovering batting migrating through my finished quilt, ugh.

I have some antique family quilts with cotton batting that you can see seeds in them, they are low loft but have a nice look because of the close quillting.

Also wonder, if you press your seams open as I notice that the quilt shop just presses them one way or the other but not split open? Most times I press them open, unless they are a print material that might show through a lighter solid color fabric.

I use the color catcher sheets when pre-washing my material to catch any bleeding dyes or inks.

As long as my stitches are as close or closer as listed in the batting directions (i.e. 2 - 4 inches, 3-6 inches), I don't get any batting migration. My lap quilt I made in the 70's (while it is in tatters around the edges and on the front where it was folded and laid on our piano bench for years) still doesn't have any batting bunched up and has been washed hundreds of times. I just can't bring myself to throw it away. I use it now mostly turned over with the backing up to lay out my pieces when planning other quilts. It is truly like a dear old friend and is so soft and full of memories.

Lois

I did not mean in my above post that the batting shifted around inside the quilt sandwich . Instead, Some ramdom fibers in the poly batt worked through the top of my quilt into little fuzzy fibers here and there. I was not a happy camper, and I have since learned that the batt needs to be glazed. That was a quilt I made many years ago. I saw on a quilting show , I think it was Georgia Bonesteel, a visit to a factory that made batting of all sorts, and the man explained about glazing the batting surface to prevent this. Wish I had known earlier!

OH, I press my seams to one side.

Latest posts

Back