New Filly Dwarf????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh...what a little cutie! In this full body shot I do not see as strongly the dwarf characteristics that I did in the original. Yes, she is thick boned, and I think you said a bad bite, and also with her feet like that, it may or may not be due to dwarfism, but regardless, dwarf or not, I think she will make a wonderful pet!!!

She looks like a totally different mini in that newer side shot than in the first you posted! She looks like such a sweetie. I so hope this thread hangs around and you post pics as she grows. I think we're all learning so much from what's being shared here
default_smile.png

I'm glad you are contacting the person who sold you the mare in foal. They need to know their stallion is a carrier, I'm assuming they dont already, and the need to know the other foals by this mare are potential carriers as well. And maybe they will "make good" on the sale by compensating you in some way. They probably aren't legally obligated to do so, but many breeders would feel a moral obligation to. And If they have sold the stallion as well, hopefully they will inform that party also.

I wish you the best.

In that new picture, she looks different to me and not dwarf, but the thick draft style look. Her legs look much better too! What about her bite?

She looks better in the new shots, but sorry, I still see a body that is way too thick for an average one week old foal, with parents that I believe you said were in the 32-33 ish size range? I may be wrong on the exact size, but I know they were not itty bitty parents.

Not sure how big the stallion is but on my mares papers it states 31" as for her bite well I think its a little better doesn't seem so noticeable I don't know if that makes sense. She needs her feet done and waiting for someone to come by to do them as I don't want to do them. To nervous but if I have to I will..someone on lb was very kind to tell me how to do it.... (thank you
default_smile.png

I'd try to get your ferrier to come out and trim the back feet. I have had some that looked really down in the pasterns like that and over the phone, the shoer was thinking splints...then he got there and we just trimmed them and within a week, she had straightened out. Big horse foals break and wear hooves lots eaiser than minis. I almost always have to trim their hooves when born and then every two weeks around here. My place is a giant sand box and they are just so light... She definately looks better than her first pictures. She is a cutie no matter what!
default_yes.gif

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on whether this adorable filly is a dwarf and on what should be done with breeding stock that has produced dwarf foals. My opinion is this, if the dwarf gene takes 2 carriers to possibly create an affective foal, I do not see why we would cull our breeding stock, especially once there is a genetic test for the gene. As a long time quarter horse breeder we now have multiple genetic tests we can test our horses for. We can test for HYPP, PSSM, MH, HERDA & GBED. HYPP, PSSM & MH are dominant genes (meaning breeding two affected horses will always give you a carrier and an affected foal) and GBED & HERDA are recessive. I have tested my broodmares and while they are all negative I will breed to recessive gene carriers knowing that there is a chance the resulting foal may be a carrier but will not be affected. If this is the same case with the dwarf gene which has been used all through the miniature horse bloodlines of past to create smaller horses, I think we would end up culling most of our gene pool. I just wish that AMHA would charge a special fee for each foal registered for a year or two to put towards a special fund for research on isolating the dwarf gene so that a test can be developed. As long as I did not breed two known carriers I do not see the problem.

that is why I questioned it from what I am learning breeders have been breeding stallion that have been knowing to produce them and really if you look at it, it's the stallion that would be used/producing more than one mare. thank god it's not like dogs where they produce a litter of 8 at a time but really I would think that someone who owns a stallion who would more than likely breed who knows how many mares in a year would be even more careful and selected on who they are breeding their stud to. it would make it so helpful if they did come out with a test and can't believe that it's on hold?? if I am correct?? I know with dogs people are always trying to raise money to do testing to improve the breed and with all of the money that's in horses that they haven't gotten the test yet to test for it. (money in horses I am meaning some of the prices of top show horses)

than likely breed who knows how many mares in a year would be even more careful and selected on who they are breeding their stud to. it would make it so helpful if they did come out with a test and can't believe that it's on hold?? if I am correct?? I know with dogs people are always trying to raise money to do testing to improve the breed and with all of the money that's in horses that they haven't gotten the test yet to test for it. (money in horses I am meaning some of the prices of top show horses)
Good point...a mare is capable of birthing every 10-12 months; however a stallion is capable of passing on his genes to multiple mares in a breeding season. While a test would absolutely be beneficial to determine what horses are in fact carriers you have people who would not bother with the test and therefore carriers continue to breed. And regardless of testing or no testing there are people that just do not "get it." Case in point would be the thread where pictures of a potential buyer's herd showed they were breeding dwarf to dwarf intentionally.
default_no.gif

I am aquainted with a couple that own both horses and minis. The minis are basically to breed and sell, none are real friendly with people. They pasture birth and normally a pregnancy is a guessing game until a foal shows up (or not). They bought and sold mares frequently. Occasionally dwarfs were born. After I got into minis and realized why they were getting dwarfs I explained to them more than once that their stallion was a carrier and that any time he bred a mare that carried the gene there was a chance of the foal being a dwarf. Once they believed me they got rid of the stallion and got a different one. I do not know if that stallion was ever gelded, but I told them he needed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back