locking patella

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lucky lodge I don't think we can tell you anything new that hasn't been covered on the previous topics where you have raised the issue.

Luxation of the patella in adult horse arises from injury but when seen in foals is usually genetic.

It is more common in dogs but has been seen in horses obviously predominantly in miniatures.

You will see some vets wanting the horse to grow more before surgery while others encourage it earlier believing the size and weight of the animal can have some influence on recovery.

Anything more then that you will need a decent sit down with a vet, there's the only so much google can help with
default_wink.png

Personally I wouldn't breed from an animal who has thrown patella issues. It really seems to be the mini worlds dirty secret and not somthing I want to appear in my foals
default_no.gif

default_saludando.gif
notice theres no coments on luxation of the petalla bone

nobody had this problam
Locking stifle is the same thing as Luxating patella, sometimes known as ' upward fixation of the patella'. Two different desciptions of the same problem.

Locking stifle is the same thing as Luxating patella, sometimes known as ' upward fixation of the patella'. Two different desciptions of the same problem.
shadelady--locking stifle is NOT the same thing as luxating patella!

Luxation means that the patella is DISLOCATED, as in displaced off to one side. In a newborn foal this is caused by the patellar groove being too shallow, which allows that patella to slide out of place off to one side. It requires surgery to correct it--and the surgery consists of making the groove deeper, so that the patella stays in place. In older horses, as said above, it can occur due to trauma--if the horse dislocates the patella there is usually serious tearing to the tendons and/or ligaments as well. The vet has to put the horse under in order to put the patella back into place and the horse must rest to give it a chance to heal.

Locking stifle, which is also known as upward fixation of the patella is quite different. If the horse's stifle locks, there is no dislocation--the patella is not displaced laterally. I am not going to go into the specifics of how locking stifle works, that has been covered many times on this forum. Just know that it is not the same as luxation of the patella!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes--locking stifle, or at least the conformation that "causes" it, is hereditary. I am not disputing that at all. But, all the links you posted refer to upward fixation of the patella--locking stifle. The fact remains that this condition is not the same as luxation--dislocation--and it is absolutely incorrect to state that the two are the same thing.

Forgive me if I am wrong ( I often am. Always learning lol)but the original question is titled Locking patella ?

Yes, that is the original topic title, but in post #22 you answered lucky lodge's question regarding luxation--in post #22 you told her that locked is the same thing as dislocated and so I simply pointed out that the two are not the same at all.

Latest posts

Back