Cookies without so much butter?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billiethekid40

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any good cookie recipies that don't have a ton of butter in them? I want to start some Christmas baking today- have lots of flour, sugar, eggs but not a lot of butter. So many cookie recipies I've seen call for 1.5-2 cups or more of butter and I don't want to go to the store... and just cringe at the amount of fat that must be in a handfull of cookies!

No recipes but try adding in applesauce or plain vegetable oil, you will need to double check the substitution ratios online. I know in a cake recipe I used some plain canned pumpkin and it made it SO moist- not soggy either and there was no pumpkin taste-just some orange coloring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Often cream cheese will work as substitute, with a couple tablespoons of oil.

Or, try cookies made from a cake mix.......rarely need butter. I have a few of those type recipes. Depends on what flavors you're looking make.

hey Mel, how did your cookies come out? BTW, I just Googled "butterless cookies", and there are tons of recipes on-line.
default_yes.gif

I know this is a little late but I've been really into healthy cooking lately and have found out that you can substitute mashed beans for butter. Yup beans. Which beans you ask? Depends on what you are making. Use the beans that won't effect the color of the end product. Sugar cookies I would use white beans, brownies = black beans etc. It will make them a little crunchy so if you want softer cookies and such use half butter half beans. Strange I know but it works! And you can't tell. Don't worry Santa won't be able to tell either.

Thanks for the replies and ideas! I forgot about cake mix cookies, I used to make those all the time. I ended up doing banana bread and soft pretzel bites today and I'll do cookies later this week so they'll still be nice and fresh when my husband gets back from Manitoba. Doesn't look like I'll be getting to the store for beans or cake mix till at least Wednesday though- its calling for 75cm of snow in the next 36-48 hours(thats over 3 feet with what we got today *gulp*) I do have lots of plain pumpkin though, maybe I'll use that tomorrow and make some good cookies to share with the neighbor thats shoveling my driveway (I'd love to be able to help, but my husband asked him to do it since I'm quite pregnant now).

I'm quite pregnant now
default_biggrin.png
Hard to imagine "our little Mel" pregnant...you must look like a peanut with arms and legs.
default_laugh.png

I was talking to your Mom and Jim one evening, and they are very excited to say the least. Take care Hon, and don't forget to let us know when the special day arrives.
default_wub.png
:wub

you must look like a peanut with arms and legs
LOL Actually I'm still quite petite... at 31 weeks I'm still not needing maternity wear and probably won't for a while yet. Gerrys been gone a month and really hasn't seen a belly on me yet! Don't worry, Billie will be sure to tell the baby all about his "Auntie Sue" and you'll be sure to see tons of pictures and updates on facebook when the baby comes in February. You bet my parents are excited, so is the rest of my family. It was a nice thing to see them smile about it when I was home in Novemeber for my grandfathers funeral. The last time I heard his voice was when he called to congratulate me when he heard the news, he was so excited!

You sound like my Mom when she was pregnant. Honestly would hardly know it till it was almost time to give birth...then only from the front...then she looked like she swallowed a medicine ball. She'd walk out of the hospital looking like she was holding the baby for someone else, as she certainly didn't look like it could of been her that just had one. Hope you are as lucky.
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

Boy or girl???
default_wub.png

My mom was like that, and so was my grandmother (with all 6 pregnancies) as was Gerrys mom so I think I'm set. lol And we won't know boy or girl till he or she gets here. I wanted to know but Gerry wanted to wait. The suspense is killing me!

Back