Congress 2011

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a committee who is working on proposals and will present them at Convention. They have all the questions they need to have answered and all the financials.

The only reason that this OSF proposal is being discussed is that a couple of board memebers decided to send it out in an attempt to rally members behind the proposal.

It should have been submitted with the other proposals to the committee only just like all the other proposals.

The thing that bothers me about the OSF proposal --- well alot of things bother me about this proposal but one of the things that bothers me the most is that a couple of board members seem to be promoting their own agenda. It is not the job of anyone on the BOD to rally members behind their cause. It should be the other way around IMO

I am not 100 percent for ardmore either although I would choose it over the OSF at this very moment but am confident our committee will have other choices and information for us and look forward to Convention. John.. would love to have a drink with you
default_cheers.gif
I amsure we can find the time for that
default_aktion033.gif

Oh and Fran nope have not been to Congress yet got my first seasoned pony about 10 months ago but plan on being there in 2011-having been to Convention several years now I am however aware of the financials for both the National shows as well as the registry and that does play a part in my opinions. Hopefully I will see you there or maybe even at Convention

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa,

I will even buy. LOL
default_saludando.gif

I agree with you that in that the committee is putting together the options and will present them at convention at least that is what I have been told. I am anxious to see what they come up with, I know they have been working on getting a wide selection of facilities as was suggested to them.
default_aktion033.gif

There are a lot of variables that need to be considered, dates, costs, current facility conditions, number of stalls presently, room for expansion, location, surrounding area and amenities there etc. etc.. It is not going to be an easy decision, but one that needs to be made and well thought out in its planning.
default_biggrin.png

I hope that everyone at convention will leave personal agendas at home and come with the thought of being involved and doing what is best for the Shetland breed.
default_new_shocked.gif

Additionally, the Mini side of things are going to have a number of proposals from what I understand and it should be interesting & important to say the least.
default_wink.png

I am really looking forward to it, I get to spend several days with a large group of horse people, how could it get much better!!!
default_yes.gif

IMO it is unfair to have a BOTH NATIONAL shows in the same state, which is by no means central! Like many people, I own both minis and shetlands. If I had to travel 30+ hours for both the National shows, I'll be honest - I only have the time and money for one. Now this opinion may not be shared with some as not all pony people have minis. So take that with a grain of salt.
default_smile.png
Agreed with this statement..

on a sidenote I feel it is for sure unfair we cannot rotate at least congress. There is alot of ponies in ohio area exc and it is also close to us in canada. I just believe we should rotate it it is hardly fair.. If it was in my backyard every year Id be showing a ton of ponies but instead I choose nationals and do not show pony at all. If it was moved closer I'd give it a try with my ASPC/AMHR ponies. But for now I have to choose nationals or congress. I would be all for congress as it is actually in the summer so I could attend
default_smile.png
Would love to go keep it rotating and keep it central! Its only fair

I only had a pony showed at Congress 1 year and that was at Lk. St. Louis and was pretty disappointed. Congress should not be that way. One thing everyone needs to remember Congress isn't near as big as Nationals due to entries. However, Congress should atleast have a nice indoor arena and the problem I had with Lk. St. Louis and it sounds like other places too is the barns.

IMO rotating it may possibly bring in more ponies or perhaps keep it the same number each year with new people but you may loose people too. So IMO you need to find a pernament location more central, and I mean central, I don't consider like Tulsa to be totally central of the US that way it could bring in the Canadians as well. Surley somewhere there are nicer facilities that can hold Congress. I also agree don't hold it at the same location as Nationals and defintelly don't have it at the same time as the OSF.

Is there even a location for Congress next year?

I'm not sure how many times we can beat this topic. Deciding on where to host a national show is not about what's fair. Its about what is financially best for the show. Congress needs a PERMANT home that accomodates the need of the association and the exhibitors. The MAJORITY of the show activity within our association is in the CENTRAL part of the UNITED STATES.

I am TIRED of reading that people are unwilling to TRAVEL to Congress. I've never complained about traveling 18 hours to Congress. And I'll do it again. BECAUSE I WANT TO BE THERE. Almost every horse association in the US has their national show centrally located with the exception of AQHA. WHY? Because it makes the show accessible for the ALL the members. Not just those within a 12 hour drive.

We need to take in consideration of the society shows and find a date at a location that is CENTRALLY located that is financially affordable and move Congress there. And that place is NOT OHIO. Yes, I was beyond excited that Congress was in OK. But I would have been just as happy if it was in Kansas, Nebraska, or Iowa.

I'm sorry, I know I come across as ugly on this topic but nobody seems to have a problem with making those of us west of the Mississippi drive 18 hours or more to Congress. Yet, when its in our territory its suddenly a problem to drive that far for SOME.

If you want it bad enough, you'll make the arrangements to haul any distance.

But, this topic was in regards to the OSF taking over our national show. And frankly, thats a slap in the face to the American Shetland. Are we not proud enough to stand on our two feet and make our national show a NATIONAL SHOW? Do we really want to PAY someone to take it and loose total control of it, washing our hands of the issue? I should hope not! Society shows are all good, but they are not national shows. We want it to be as grand as Mini Nationals, yet we don't want to spend the money. People we can not have it both ways. We either put the work into it and make it great. Or, we continue to battle the "me myself and I" arguements and dig our holes deeper.

Frankly, it would suit me just fine to combine Nationals and Congress and run it 2 weeks. For those who attend BOTH shows, you have to take off that much time anyway, so what's the difference if its a week in August and a week in September, or 2 weeks all at once? Cut some of the fluff classes, propose a rule that at National/Congress double registered shetlands can show both ways, and be done with this. Yes, some trainers would either have to cut their show string to accomodate their trailers or haul a second trailer. But then, we're not trying to accomodate a select few individuals, we're trying to accomodate the GENERAL membership and its needs.

I really wish I was able to attend convention this year so I could stand up against this proposal. Unfortunately, family needs come first. But my director and I see this proposal the same way. It is not good for Congress.

I only had a pony showed at Congress 1 year and that was at Lk. St. Louis and was pretty disappointed. Congress should not be that way. One thing everyone needs to remember Congress isn't near as big as Nationals due to entries. However, Congress should atleast have a nice indoor arena and the problem I had with Lk. St. Louis and it sounds like other places too is the barns.

IMO rotating it may possibly bring in more ponies or perhaps keep it the same number each year with new people but you may loose people too. So IMO you need to find a pernament location more central, and I mean central, I don't consider like Tulsa to be totally central of the US that way it could bring in the Canadians as well. Surley somewhere there are nicer facilities that can hold Congress. I also agree don't hold it at the same location as Nationals and defintelly don't have it at the same time as the OSF.

JMS even though there are those that are misleading you to believe that it is during the OSF it is not. It is a week prior. There are no rides or side show attractions. There are some food venders. The barn is really nice with concrete flooring. Not dirt or screenings as some places have. Please remember that Quarter Horse Congress goes on there every year. I am sure they would not have it there if it were as bad as some want people to believe.

Carin I totally agree with your thought on Congress and your words are 100% correct.

BUT, having Nationals and Congress together I simply see that not working out. You are either going to loose entries from one show to another. People simply cannot stay that long to show at both shows. Financially it may be hard for exhibitors to do it all at once. I don't see it working at all. Also you mention the AMHR/ASPC ponies, they cannot show as both at the same show, and I don't want to see it changed and allow them to show in both at local shows. Put up a vote and see but I don't think the general membership would want that to happen.

Maybe I am confused- I keep hearing the comparsion to the QH congress I have not been to that show so have a few questions.. does the QH congress run its show with other breeds in the halter ring at the same time?

Does the QH Congress have other breeds showing during its Congress show to off set costs?

The carnvial part of the fair starts after the show but OSF being called the OSF makes me believe it is still a fair show and will not be now called the ASPC Congress show and will not be solely available to the ASPC only- The proposal as written will make our Congress part of the fair show carnival rides or not.

The facility itself is not my biggest issue with the proposal it is bringing our National show to a Fair show and paying to give up the rights.

I am very much looking forward to hearing all the options-surely they have more to think about then just OSF and Ardmore - we will have them in front of us in Nov and being able to make a decision that is right for the ASPC and the Registry as a whole

My sister shows Saddlebreds at Lk. St. Louis. Personally, the barns there are not near as bad as Ardmore. Lk. St. Louis is not as nice a facility as I'd like to see Congress at but it certainly is as good as where it has been!

OHorsePee said:
JMS even though there are those that are misleading you to believe that it is during the OSF it is not. It is a week prior. There are no rides or side show attractions. There are some food venders. The barn is really nice with concrete flooring. Not dirt or screenings as some places have. Please remember that Quarter Horse Congress goes on there every year. I am sure they would not have it there if it were as bad as some want people to believe.
I don't know what barn you were in at OHS but for minis those stalls we had were nothing more than dark cellars. Three towering solid sides with no bars for ventalation. If I hadn't brought gates to put across the opening there would have been NO air circulating in there. As it was my filly was down one afternoon panting from the heat! And yes, we were using fans. The walkway may have been concrete.

The show is called the Ohio State Fair Horse Show and runs just prior to the fair (carnival portion). However, during the horse show the carnival portion is being put up...the workers and the stuff is there...just not open to the public, but it is being set up and makes for its own set of difficulties. Sort of like Tulsa, except much worse, imo, because you must drive through the lots where the rides and booths are being set up while the work is going on..not road out. The parking maybe be adequate, but you pay to park and there didn't seem to be that much available to me at the time. The neighborhood is probably the worst I have ever been to for a horse show...the RV hookups are across a busy street and you wouldn't want your kids hanging out in the RV park or coming alone to the barns imo.

The Hackneys and Saddlebreds showed at the same time as well as the minis. Sometimes there were two rings being judged in the same arena at the same time (halter). The breeds alternated classes, so they were all showing together. The Morgans came in just as the others were finishing up. The warm up rings were shared by all the breeds at the same time if they were showing one after the other.

I know exactly how it was the two years I was there. No speculation on my part...like the information I posted from the proposal...I saw it myself.

Jackie I only received one to look at. I have heard there are several others. You would have to ask your BOD members for them.

I understand that there a number of proposals from at least 4 sites that have been submitted, so it will be interesting to see what comes about.

The director I spoke with said the plan at this time is to make suggestions to the BOD from the committee for the top two or three sites and then ask them to allow past exhibitors to vote on it.

Which would be cool for the members. Hope that is the way the handle it!

Latest posts

Back