Congress Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffian, on 07 August 2010 - 08:27 AM, said:

"Shouldn't this be on the Pony Forum??

This is "exactly" why I don't post much on this forum. I am genuinely trying to learn something and someone is "offended" because it might be in the "wrong" place. I made a post once asking about the experience of breeders with the Boones Little Andy bloodline. I just wanted to know what had crossed well with it and how it worked for them in their program. Well....it was moved to the "photo" forum of all places. I never did understand that...but "oh well"....about a week later someone posted asking something very similar and it was left on.

Ruffian, perhaps you are one that believes that your minis have absolutely "no shetland" in their background. I happen to know that they do....especially your stallion....he is a Buckeroo and Buckeroo has a "strong" shetland background...so it is all the same. Just venting, but kind of ticked. This is petty"

The reason I asked if it should be on the pony forum is that it is about a Modern Shetland Pony. There was no pettiness involved. Some pony people do not read the miniature horse forum. Some miniature horse people don't wish to read about ponies. The specific forums were created so those who wanted to read about the different breeds could choose as they wanted, without having to scroll through threads that did not interest them. The photo forum was created so folks like me with slow computer connections could bring up the forum without having to wait for lots of photos to load. Before we upgraded it would take hours or not come up at all.

I've been in Miniatures since before AMHA began. I KNOW what their background is. I also know where they have gone in the last 30 years. I apologize if you feel this was being "Petty" by having it put on the correct forum, as that was not my intent. However, if the moderators had not agreed, it would not have been moved. The title still directs you to the thread, but it's now on the right forum.

"The actions of a few miniature people actually does the miniature horse registry more damage than all the good that decent "good" people have done. And you wonder why "real big horse people" think that minis are a joke. None of the crap that goes on in this registry would never be tolerated in other registries."

Whoa whoa whoa. All I said was that it should be on pony forum. All of a sudden I'm "Damaging" the industry??? I beg your pardon?

You're right - I don't agree with the influence of the Modern Shetland/Hackney on the Miniature horse. That's My opinion. It had nothing to do with this topic, but apparently some folks think it did.

This is a beautiful liberty video of a beautiful Shetland pony. Had nothing to do with anything else, but it IS OF A PONY!!! Rock On Mare!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I need to apologize too....really....until this, I was naive I guess and truly did not realize that it was such a touchy subject to some. What I am saying is I didn't realize that there was an "us" and a "them".........to me, this is terribly sad. I grew up with horses welch ponies, thorobreds, QH, grade ponies, even a hackney once....and I loved them "ALL". I was as excited when I watched this mare perform as I was when Secretariat won the Belmont by 31 lengths, because "both" times I knew that I had seen something "magnificent" and it was an equine. That is truly "all" that I thought about....not that it could possibly inconvenience someone to have to "scroll" past it on the mini forum. I personally believe that if people are "true horsemen" that they love all equine...they are not jealous or threatened by other breeds. We chose AMHA/AMHR miniature horses 14 years ago. We have never been sorry....their docile temperments and size fit very well into what our family wants to do. I will however "always" recognize true equine beauty and talent no matter what the size or breed of the horse is that exudes it.

More than anything, I find this all very sad....I bet if you turned some miniature mares in with some shetland mares that they would all be friends, comingle and learn to love each other.....and never even "realize" that they were different.....it is obviously the "people" that feel the need to divide them.

As far as the shetland "influence" on the miniature breed.....I bet every miniature enthusiast that reads this would never kick a 34-38 inch mare or stallion out of their herd that moved like that mare. It is a good thing that others have not been negative about moving the breed forward, otherwise the breed would be dwarfed out by now. This is about all I have to say.....my initial post as been more educational than I ever thought it would be. I actually found out things that I would rather not have known, but thanks very much to all of the folks that enlightened me about this "fantastic" mare.

What I am saying is I didn't realize that there was an "us" and a "them".........to me, this is terribly sad.
It is very sad and I have been fighting against it for years. I really hope someday people will stop with the pony vs mini and us against them mentality. Especially since both registries are under the ASPC umbrella. If we could all just come together for a common good just think of what could be.

I love all equine

Kay

If given lemons make lemonade,

If given sour grapes then make wine,

Big girl panties on sale this week at Wal-Mart!

Ha ha, should make t-shirts and sell as a fundraiser.
Tina I so love that and would buy a T-shirt with that saying! LOL

Sherri, I have both minis and ponies. I love them all! I do not see bad in either as to me height and type are the only difference. They poo just the same! But we are gravitating our herd to ASPC/AMHR. We only have a couple of minis left. We do keep our numbers low on purpose. Maybe you should lease a gelding from someone close enough to you that they can help with anything and see what you think.

Yes that was RFP Time To Perfection is also from the Robert Family Ponies bloodlines.

Yes that was RFP Time To Perfection is also from the Robert Family Ponies bloodlines.
This is amazing...but I just could not stop with this....sooooo....I looked them up on the ASPC Studbook.....OMG....so funny that I was drawn to the two of these horses (River Of Time & Timed To Perfection)...not even beginning to know "anything" about shetlands or bloodlines......they are FULL SIBLINGS. This is wild. I had no idea. What a breeding program the Roberts have. Congratulations to them.

Fran...after all of this..I would certainly think that a shetland would be in my future. We currently have 50+ minis. I have tried to cut back on the breeding....the problem with the foals is "I want to keep them all".....actually it took me until late 2006 to find the mini stallion that I wanted. He has nice motion for a mini and his foals do also. I seem to want to keep all of the fillies. They are AMHA/AMHR......but this has got me to thinking about a possible outcross in the future of a nice ASPC/AMHR stallion. Actually I don't need one anytime soon.....but it could be really fun to look, and at the moment....that is what seems to be "peaking" my interest.

I forgot to say "thank you" to the people that have helped define "types" to me. That has helped a lot. Remember....when I posted initially....I had just watched..and was quite intrigued....but knew nothing about the definition of foundation, modern or classic. I loved watching the show online....great footage by iequine. Also...the presentation when they gave the little girl the pony for her essay was quite "touching" to say the least. Thanks to all of you "pony" people for being friendly and accepting. It is greatly appreciated.

Tina I so love that and would buy a T-shirt with that saying! LOL

Sherri, I have both minis and ponies. I love them all! I do not see bad in either as to me height and type are the only difference. They poo just the same! But we are gravitating our herd to ASPC/AMHR. We only have a couple of minis left. We do keep our numbers low on purpose. Maybe you should lease a gelding from someone close enough to you that they can help with anything and see what you think.
I have shetlands and show ponies and have never been happier. My first year out had a 2X Congress champion and have won well at Area III and Ohio too.

It is the (few) sour grape mini people that need to go get those big girl panties. And I even have a mini that I call a grade shetland, who will be back out next year. Love when he wins grand overall gelding, but prefer the excitement of the shetlands.

OhHorsePee,

Again let me state it is a "few" bad apples in the bunch, but there are a lot of great mini people out there that I enjoy their company. Many of them know I have always had a yearning for the shetland type and I have been teased about that. I have found my niche and happiness and they respect me for that.

Mini Gates Farm, I do not know where you show, but I would be happy to let you show one of my shetlands. I have one that would be a blast to drive and would be honored to let you get behind him for a drive.

That is such a kind offer Crabtree. Actually I am in Indiana...probably far away from your farm. I would be afraid that if I drove one...I would surely be hooked. I truly enjoyed being able to view the Congress Show this year. It was eye opening to say the least.

I have actually been laughing at myself this morning. I was being very honest about my naivity about shetlands. Also about the fact that the people seem to make such a big deal about the two breeds. I wandered onto the mini forum today and started reading some of the posts on the "What Gives" topic. WOW....that was an eye opener and quite an education. That started me to laughing about putting my initial post on that forum. That is truly asking for "WAR".........I must say that the old saying is true....sometimes....."ignorance is bliss"......LOL

Anyway....I think I'll just hang out mostly on this forum.....I truly like the company that I have found here!!!!!
yes.gif

That is such a kind offer Crabtree. Actually I am in Indiana...probably far away from your farm. I would be afraid that if I drove one...I would surely be hooked. I truly enjoyed being able to view the Congress Show this year. It was eye opening to say the least.

I have actually been laughing at myself this morning. I was being very honest about my naivity about shetlands. Also about the fact that the people seem to make such a big deal about the two breeds. I wandered onto the mini forum today and started reading some of the posts on the "What Gives" topic. WOW....that was an eye opener and quite an education. That started me to laughing about putting my initial post on that forum. That is truly asking for "WAR".........I must say that the old saying is true....sometimes....."ignorance is bliss"......LOL

Anyway....I think I'll just hang out mostly on this forum.....I truly like the company that I have found here!!!!!
yes.gif
I plan on attending Ohio next year, so it might not be a bad time to come over to the Ohio State Championships. There are mini classes being held, so you can see the best of both "Worlds", of course no pun intended.

This is amazing...but I just could not stop with this....sooooo....I looked them up on the ASPC Studbook.....OMG....so funny that I was drawn to the two of these horses (River Of Time & Timed To Perfection)...not even beginning to know "anything" about shetlands or bloodlines......they are FULL SIBLINGS. This is wild. I had no idea. What a breeding program the Roberts have. Congratulations to them.
The Grand Champion Modern Gelding RFP The Time Has Come is also a full sibling.
default_smile.png
Congrats to Beaver (RFP Timed to Perfection), Wynona (RFP River of Time) and, Wally (RFP The Time Has Come) and Roberts Family Ponies on their wins!

Cres O Lars Prime Time is a good part of their breeding program. Wishing this stallion was still around. For more information you could go to the American Shetland Pony Forum and join in, tons of good information and pictures of ponies in the gallery and in the Divisions part.

Wow..guess it's just not the ponies themselves that are hot headed and freak out over nothing!! This is truly an amazing thread, especially since it was an innocent question. I saw nothing wrong with asking a simple question and you guys were like a pack of dogs on a 3 legged cat...wow, talk about blowing up over something so simple, guess thats why I will never be part of the pony world, I would hate to see how you guys would react if something serious happened!

I didn't read every single post but I don't know where you got ponies or owners are hot headed. Ponies are not hot headed. And most pony people I know are just as great as the miniature folks?! I dunno - hope you take your overall impression from a forum thread.
default_smile.png

Mellis,

Not sure what you mean by the people being hot headed etc. I guess I missed something. As far as the ponies and people in them. I have found as a new recruit to the pony world that there are a few cliques, but no more than in the mini circles.
default_yes.gif

All in all I love being around and enjoying my mini and pony friends, though I will admit sometimes I like the horses even more LOL. But I bet that feelings is mutual among small equine people.
default_wink.png

If I have a bad day, a walk thru the pastures and watching the horses for a little while is all is takes to lighten myself up.
default_wub.png

Mellis,

My initial post was placed on the wrong forum....I really didn't know when I posted there that it should have been on this forum. But it was brought to the attention of the forum moderators and it was then moved to this forum. At first I was a little taken back....but it was all my fault. I don't post here often and just simply didn't realize that I was putting it in the wrong place. But I must say that the pony people have welcomed my post and my questions with open arms. I am a mini person and am sure that I will continue on with them as well, but the shetlands are something to behold and have peaked my equine interest. I have had very little exposure to the breed, and really didn't even know the difference in the foundation, classic and modern ponies. I hate it when I am ignorant about a subject....but we all have to start learning "somewhere". The folks here have been kind to answer and give me some insight into the breed.

What I meant about "ignorance is bliss" is that when I first put the post up...I was just excited and truly had no idea that the miniature and shetland people were so divided. I had no idea that I was posting on the wrong forum. The saddest thing that I have learned from all of this is that the "people" are so divided. These are all "small equine". We love our minis, but I would never close the door on another breed as well. I think Mr. Cherry said it best...in that he loves them both as they are unique in their own way. More people should be that way. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone united for the greater good of the small equine?

I then got further educated when I went back to the mini forum and read about people not wanting the shetlands crossed with the minis as they do not wish to have the shetland influence mixed into the breed. When I read that post, I realized how "behind the times" I really am. Maybe I need to get off of the farm more often...LOL

Sherry,

It is not all mini people that refuse to admit that the beginning of the "Miniature Horse" was indeed with the Shetland breed. Additionally those of us that have done our homework, can in many instances the major lines of mini's back to a large preponderance of Shetland background.Which i think makes us better owners and breeders.
default_wub.png

Those of us that really enjoy the mini's for what they are, are striving to improve our herds by whatever legal means we can to produce a "form to function" horse that is a replica of the big breeds in miniature.
default_aktion033.gif

Like everything in life, my suggestion is to take all of the back biting and shots that folks take on this a few other subjects for exactly what it is. A shame that folks can't at the very least agree to disagree. LOL
default_wink.png

Personally I do not like mean people and in that category of being mean are the folks that take unwarranted shots at people honestly asking pertinent questions about just about any subject.
default_no.gif

Hope you got what you were looking for in the information category, if not ask away and you will find the majority of the folks on here will try and answer your question openly and honestly to the best of their ability!!!
default_yes.gif

Sherri if you are ever in Ohio please feel free to come visit us and our Shetlands. We have foundation, classic and modern pleasure so a little bit of everything. Would love to have you if you make it out here!

Kay

Amy Roberts asked me to post the following:

"Thanks for the wonderful comments on Wy in liberty and on all of our ponies.

RFP River of Time is a five-time Congress Liberty Champion and a four-time Congress Grand Champion Modern Halter mare. She's 16 yrs. old this year and has her first foal on her side. She's a full sister to the 2010 Grand Champion Modern Gelding - RFP The Time Has Come and to the 2010 Modern Under Harness Champion - RFP Timed to Perfection.

She's also a full-sister to 3x Congress Harness Champion RFP 6/8 Time and to Congress Halter & Fine Harness Grand Champion RFP It's About Time.

If anyone thinks this conversation isn't germane to Miniatures, they just might eventually change their minds. Timed To Perfection is AMHR registered and has been Reserve National Champion Park Harness winner at AMHR Nationals. RFP 6/8 Time is also now AMHR registered and stands at Little King Farm for the Rodgers family.

RFP Timed To Perfection ... the 2009 Modern Halter Pony of the Year & 2010 Grand Champion Modern Under Harness Pony... will be available to a limited number of outside mares in 2011. Jason Prince of Excaliber Stables is the contact for anyone interested in breeding to this phenomenal and sensible little pony.

For anyone who thinks they are hot ... you are welcome to come visit. Or perhaps you would like see pics of my 11 yr old & 8 yr old daughters showing and working with River of Time, It's About Time or others."

Latest posts

Back