Congress Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Gaits Farm

Reaction score
I have been a straight "mini" person for 14 years now. Well...I decided to watch the Congress Show since it was online.....WOW....I tuned in at the right time "Liberty Class".....well anyway...they were all great, but then this bay horse came in the ring....I think it was PRM...or RPM something...I swear I can't remember.....but I will have to tell you that he made every hair on my body stand on end.....OMG....the most stunning performance that I have ever seen. If anyone can tell me his complete name....I would love to know.

But on to my question...I know this is stupid, but I truly would like to know. Remember....I know nothing about them now...except that I am amazed to say the least. What is the difference in a Modern and a Classic Shetland?

I have also watched some driving classes today....kinda feel like I'm cheating as I would normally be watching AMHA Central Regionals, but I just have to see more of these.....LOL....Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would love to learn.

It was Modern liberty you were watching and a RFP pony I do not remember her name she is I think 16 years old went Grand Modern mare earlier inthe show and won the broodmare class as well she has a foal on her side at the show.

She was amazing to watch!

Oh wow...I didn't know it was a mare....she is truly amazing that's for sure - a once in a lifetime kind of horse. I also saw another horse today...I believe with that same prefix, only I do remember the name of this one "Timed To Perfection", that won a driving class and was also quite amazing. This must be a great line of horses.

I understand your feeling, we are halter people and two years ago we went to our first Congress and now own 9 shetlands.
default_new_shocked.gif

I never really watch much liberty(unless my grandaughter was in it), but I sat and watched over 4 hours of it two years ago. Beautiful to watch to say the least if you love horses. This year was the same, we again stayed late to watch it and it was a lot of fun. No dog in that hunt, just a bunch of beautiful movement to witness and enjoy.
default_yes.gif

When we bought our shetlands though we decided we liked the heads and overall conformation of the classics and foundation horses though and bought them instead of the moderns. We have really enjoyed owning them the last couple of years. They are just as addictive as our minis are for us anyway.
default_wub.png

As far as the difference in classic and modern, it is basically movement and also some heritage. The Classics do not have quite as much movement as the moderns, but we like the heads etc. as I said before. there is also a foundation clasification, which requires 4 generation of straight shetlands on both sides and slightly less size as an adult horse. (42" to the withers) be careful you could get hooked also. LOL
default_wink.png

Thanks John...I was thinking it might have to do with movement. I truly know "nothing" about them except that I just can't stop watching...LOL You are right about possibly getting hooked. My husband kept saying to me as I was ooohing and awwwing...."now don't you get any ideas....those horses are spirited...I don't want to get killed. LOL......he was not a horse person before we met, but has tranformed very well to the minis and loves them like I do. However, right when we got into minis, I came across a good deal on a hackney mare. She was very spirited to say the least and hard to catch. We sold her to a great home and right then and there my husband said "minis only"...I better try to adhere to that....but I can't help but to think how nice it would be to see one of those "moderns" moving across the field out here. OMG.....what an addiction....maybe someone should start a rehab program for this....they could get rich. LOL...

That was the Modern liberty class and the pony that won was RFP River Of Time...she is AMAZING, she actually did that run through center ring at Congress in 2007 too...I have loved that mare since the first time I seen her at congress in 2007. I actually have a tatoo of her sire on my ankle, Cres-O-Lar's Prime Time (her sire) as I just love anything from that line it seems, River Of Time has always been my favorite. The Robert Family Ponies have always produced some of my favorite ponies..I ALWAYS loved this...

By the way...that mare is a WET BROODMARE
default_smile.png

27695_1343063371653_1083294008_30900843_2467531_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Leanna....I will never forget her...thats for sure "River Of Time"......honestly I would love to have a tape of that performance as I could watch it over and over again. She appears to be just like her sire. Also the driving horse "Timed To Perfection" got my attention. I am not sure if he is from that same line or not, but I believe he has the same prefix. Again..thanks for sharing.

They have it on video from 2007 as it aired on the RFD tv special....they have youth at congress with flip cameras that are uploading random video's to youtube from congress...I hope one of the kids caught that!

OMG...there is a video on youtube of it!!!!

ENJOY - Thank god they gave these kids flip camera's at congress!!!!

And remember besides her liberty performance.. she won GRAND Modern Mare Over- Halter and her broodmare class as well!

Yep...Actually I think she is a 2x Congress Grand Champion (maybe 3x counting this time??) and a 5 time Congress Liberty Champion (6x counting this time??)!!!

We had our first shetland babies this year and that was a treat also. Those babies really get it when they are playing in the field. The shetland babies are right next to the mini baby pasture and it is a joy to watch both when they all get to going. The differences are stunning and each is really cool in their own way to us anyway.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

That mare is really awesome isn't she!!! If you want a permanet CD of her run, you can buy the class on cd from the Iequine people too I think!
default_wink.png

Shouldn't this be on the Pony Forum??

Moderns are also different in body type too. They tend to have just an overall more extreme look verses a classic. Longer necks etc.

Congrats to Amy on such an awesome pony!!!

Kay

Definitely not your parent's shetland that they grew up with.

I forwarded the video to several saddlebred trainers and they are VERY IMPRESSED. We have just opened the door for more trainers and new clients with the American Shetland Pony.

I see that the miniature people don't want shetland mentioned on their forum. I guess they don't want anyone else to convert to shetlands.

That is just petty. Sour grapes I say, but when given sour grapes, I say make wine. If certain people did not whine enough.

If given lemons make lemonade,

If given sour grapes then make wine,

Big girl panties on sale this week at Wal-Mart!

Ha ha, should make t-shirts and sell as a fundraiser.

Shouldn't this be on the Pony Forum??

This is "exactly" why I don't post much on this forum. I am genuinely trying to learn something and someone is "offended" because it might be in the "wrong" place. I made a post once asking about the experience of breeders with the Boones Little Andy bloodline. I just wanted to know what had crossed well with it and how it worked for them in their program. Well....it was moved to the "photo" forum of all places. I never did understand that...but "oh well"....about a week later someone posted asking something very similar and it was left on.

Ruffian, perhaps you are one that believes that your minis have absolutely "no shetland" in their background. I happen to know that they do....especially your stallion....he is a Buckeroo and Buckeroo has a "strong" shetland background...so it is all the same. Just venting, but kind of ticked. This is petty.

Petty would be like referring or calling "miniature horse" "pit ponies" instead. But shetland people don't.

The actions of a few miniature people actually does the miniature horse registry more damage than all the good that decent "good" people have done. And you wonder why "real big horse people" think that minis are a joke. None of the crap that goes on in this registry would never be tolerated in other registries.

But getting back on topic. This YouTube video will show the world what shetlands have become.

Congrats Amy on a beautiful presentation.

Careful—once you start taking an interest in the ponies…you’re going to be hooked!

Pony people are some of the nicest that there are too!

On topic, I didn't get to see any of the Liberty classes and this old computer won't run youtube for me so I can't go & watch anything there. That's too bad, I'd have liked to see some of the ponies in Liberty.

Back