My Side of the

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a shame that when the "old way of doing things" is brought up it is taboo to mention it.
I don't see where anyone said it was taboo to mention how things used to be, I even think that most of us know how things used to be....just that it gets tiresome to have that continue to be an excuse when colors come up wrong now!
All breeds were probably that same way, at least to some extent, at one time. Morgans were--there were plenty of breeders who ran herds of mares with a couple stallions and said they could look at the foals and say which stallion sired which--but those breeds have changed their rules to eliminate that sort of thing, and I'd say it's time that ASPC/AMHR did the same. And yes, DNA is useless without PQ at the same time--it's unthinkable to me that one would be done without the other--in Morgans they're all one thing and yes, if an older horse is DNA'd and doesn't match the parentage on papers, that horse loses its papers--which is as it should be.

Regardless of how things used to be, fact is that -- for example--two chestnuts cannot produce a black. If two chestnuts do produce a black then there ought to be some DNA testing going on to prove that the two parents really are the parents, and that the parents are who they are supposed to be....and that one of those parents is actually a silver bay. None of that is impossible.

Regardless of how things used to be, fact is that -- for example--two chestnuts cannot produce a black. If two chestnuts do produce a black then there ought to be some DNA testing going on to prove that the two parents really are the parents, and that the parents are who they are supposed to be....and that one of those parents is actually a silver bay. None of that is impossible.
One of the points of this thread has been, who is to say the two parents were chestnut just because it says so on the papers. People do not accurately put down the light bay from a chestnut because they do not know the difference. The two actual chestnuts producing the black is not the case with the origins of this thread.

Terri, that kind of IS the issue...just pinto patterns instead of black/red....my point is, in other breeds if the papers say both parents are chestnut then they produce a black, that foal doesn't get papers until it's proven to be a black and that it is out of those two parents....and it is determined what color one of those parents really is (obviously not chestnut, or a black foal wouldn't be possible!) In other breeds you no longer get away with saying oh, the foal can be any color because everyone knows the colors on papers are so often wrong. IMO that's the way it should be in this breed too.

I understand what you were trying to say now, it was not clear (to me) in your previous thread.

I can see where it may be needed in some instances but I do not want to have to pay a lot of fees when I go to register my horse, every time I register a horse.

Let me just in regard to colors being incorrect on papers that there is NO ONE in our office that is remotely close or qualified to be a color expert. While the ladies in the office do a wonderful job, they are paper pushers. In fact, I think we should do away with our "recognized color list" because at times it ties the breeders hands on how to correctly identify color. Also, with the addition of photos now required at times certain people take the liberty to "correct" the color on horses without regard to foal coats or sunbleaching.

Usually when someone comes under this much attack - its because they are doing something right. Paperwork in our registry is unlike any other registry in the US - we need to re-do color charts and make more selections available - for Pete's sake did not anyone notice the "Brindle" miniature from MN, how do you recognize that in our registry? IMHO - they will call the filly BAY, bay solves everything.

One welcome thing is the pictures added to our ponies and horses paperwork, although I will agree - the sunbleached, weathered look does throw the real color off, but at least patterns and white markings are there.

So keep moving on Belinda.

Latest posts

Back