Ziggi's Dorsal Zig Zag

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
I have had sevral people call me and email to say the Ziggi's dorsal zig zag is rare and want to buy her???? Although I have never seen it before, I have seen broken or dashed dorsals. Does anyone have a pics of a zig zag on a horse, or know where I can go on line to see one and get info about it??? I have also had some one tell me she is a Red Dun
default_wacko.png
?????

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6603-1.jpg

I've had a number of duns with a stripe just like that. It's just the lay of the hair. I'm betting that when you shave her or it sheds out the dorsal will be straight. If it's still zig zag...then you have something more unusual but my money is on it being the foal coat...just based on the ones I've had having the same pattern.

My Grulla girls stripe is like that with her winter coat, but it is strait after I shave her. Your baby is a beauty! What color is she??
I checked her all the way down the zig zag pattern to the skin, and down the tail. That pattern is in the skin, not just the coat. Color...I thought she is a buckskin or dun. But someone told me she is a Red Dun
default_wacko.png
I guess I will have her tested to find out.

I checked her all the way down the zig zag pattern to the skin, and down the tail. That pattern is in the skin, not just the coat.
The easiest way to tell for sure is to clip her dorsal. I'm hoping it stays...she's cute
default_yes.gif
. Looks dun to me..her mane in the pics looks too dark to be red dun but sometimes it's hard to tell the true color from a photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's cute! But I have a feeling it's only there because of her curly foal coat.
default_wub.png

Clip her down like everyone else said, and I hope it stays though... that would be so cute and unusual!

She's adorable!
default_wub.png
And the zigzag is too cute for sure! I'd say, like the others, clip her and see FOR SURE what's under there. If someone is going to buy her for that (and I'm not saying they should or shouldn't) then they are going to want a clipped picture of it anyway, so might as well go ahead.

She's adorable!
default_wub.png
And the zigzag is too cute for sure! I'd say, like the others, clip her and see FOR SURE what's under there. If someone is going to buy her for that (and I'm not saying they should or shouldn't) then they are going to want a clipped picture of it anyway, so might as well go ahead.
Yeah...plus now we ALL WANT TO SEE IT !!!!! Yahooo...I'm rooting for it to stay
default_aktion033.gif

pics, pics, pics
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png

Wouldn't it be cool if it did stay!

My vote is do not clip until you have too. You might want to glue the coat back on!

It has happened to me.

default_laugh.png
IMHO...I think it happened in the birth canal as she was moving back & forth to get out
default_new_rofl.gif
...Please don't sell her
default_wub.png
she IS special

I've had quite a few little dorsal stripes here that looked just like that until the foal coat was shed or they were clipped.

It is just the way the hair is right now and will be straight once it is clipped. If not, then it is rare, indeed, but I rather doubt it will look like that once she's older.

Neat color, though!

Liz

I agree with the others...the zig zag appearance is just from the coat, and the line will not look like that when clipped.
default_yes.gif
As for her color, it is hard to say...if she was a bay dun, the line would be very dark, but it looks red in that close up pic, and yet if she was red dun, the tail and mane look too dark in the other pic. Outside pics taken in a few days to show more natural lighting would be best to make a judgement call on that.

Edited to add...I changed my mind. upon looking again at the pics, I do think she is a bay dun.

I've been searching for a photo I had of a silver grullo I bred with a jet black dorsal just like that but it must be on my old hard drive. His dorsal was just as zig zag if not more so as a foal but dead straight after shedding. My only advice now that the majority of folks have opinions that it's just the foal coat is don't sell the baby based on the dorsal being crooked without checking first.

And think of it this way....should we all be wrong....you have a very cool horse and may want to keep her anyhow
default_yes.gif

if she was a bay dun, the line would be very dark,
Not if she carries the red gene too. I know loads of bay duns with redish dorsal stripes most have thrown reds at one time so I think it's the red gene influencing them.

default_laugh.png
IMHO...I think it happened in the birth canal as she was moving back & forth to get out
default_new_rofl.gif
...Please don't sell her
default_wub.png
she IS special
:DOH! Too Funny!

default_biggrin.png
to cool,

she is a keeper
default_wub.png
She was sold in utero
default_no.gif
BUT......They wanted us to have her!
default_wub.png
She is soooo special to us. Art (we) have NO intentions of selling Ziggi, especially to someone who likes her only for her zig zag! Art says "I" need this filly. And he is right, I need her more than she will ever know! We are going to clip her, but not right away, the flies are terrible! If it gets to hot for her we will clip her. I guess we will find out then!! Good thing we don't have to register her right away, because if the zig zag is straight, then we will have to come up with another reg. name for her. Anywho, she is a KEEPER!!!

default_laugh.png
default_new_rofl.gif
...Please don't sell her
default_wub.png
she IS special
:DOH! Too Funny!

default_biggrin.png
to cool,

she is a keeper
default_wub.png
She was sold in utero
default_no.gif
BUT......They wanted us to have her!
default_wub.png
She is soooo special to us. Art (we) have NO intentions of selling Ziggi, especially to someone who likes her only for her zig zag! Art says "I" need this filly. And he is right, I need her more than she will ever know! We are going to clip her, but not right away, the flies are terrible! If it gets to hot for her we will clip her. I guess we will find out then!! Good thing we don't have to register her right away, because if the zig zag is straight, then we will have to come up with another reg. name for her. Anywho, she is a KEEPER!!!
default_aktion033.gif
...I am soooo happy you are keeping her...Maybe you should name her "Keeper"
default_wub.png

How FUN!!! I LOVE it! Take lots of pictures incase in changes as she ages........or when she gets clipped.

She's for sure a keeper no matter what shape her dorsal is
default_yes.gif
Hey would you let us know what it turns out to be when she is clipped/sheds...just out of interest.

Latest posts

Back