YUP, another color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly

Reaction score
This is my new mare Meadow Runs Lady aka MOCHA. She is registered a bay but as she shedded out she looks chocolate dapple? Whatcha' all think?
default_biggrin.png

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll225/p...rent=mocha2.jpg

I think she is either bay or fading black (maybe smokey black)
default_smile.png

Her dapples, I think, are the kind some horses can get when they are being fed and cared for very well (good job!)
default_yes.gif

I would call her smokey black or Dark Brown.

But, I am no expert. I am sure someone else around here can explain why she would be called one color over another.
default_wacko.png

She is not Silver...the brown bits are just her natural colour fading, she is not Bay either she is a fading Black!!

This is my new mare Meadow Runs Lady aka MOCHA. She is registered a bay but as she shedded out she looks chocolate dapple? Whatcha' all think?
default_biggrin.png

Think you're correct. Appears to be a chocolate silver to me. If she were a silver bay, her coat would probably be redder and her M/T would be silverish, with noticeably darker points than her body color. She is definitely not a bay. Regular bays usually have black points (M/T, lower legs, etc.) and much redder looking bodies.

Smokey black.

Definitely NOT silver. I agree with Jill, the dapples aren't her genetic color they're just coming out becuse she's healthy.
default_smile.png

Looks black to me with sun bleaching. She might be a dark black bay; but I still say sun-bleached black. Doesn't look to have silver at all.

Why are people so quick to lable smokey black?????? I cant just call a horse that, to be smokey they must carry the cream gene, in order to know that for sure you need to test. Wonder why so many people are confused on color :DOH!

default_biggrin.png

Think you're correct. Appears to be a chocolate silver to me. If she were a silver bay, her coat would probably be redder and her M/T would be silverish, with noticeably darker points than her body color. She is definitely not a bay. Regular bays usually have black points (M/T, lower legs, etc.) and much redder looking bodies.
default_sad.png
WOW.....I hope you'll take this in the spirit that it is given, Barbara. But I am shocked that you can look at this horse & say it appears to be chocolate silver. I consider your book, "Miniature Horses...Their Care, Breeding and Coat Colors" to be one of the best! And being that this was your very first post on the LB Forum....I don't want to say anything to you that sounds argumentative. But, to me, that horse shows no signs of silver whatsoever. If it did....it's mane & tail would be lightened to some extent. Can you expound on why you think it's a Chocolate Silver?

To me, this horse looks simply black, with FAINT "healthy" dapples showing.

I certainly am GLAD to see you here Barbara! I hope you become a regular & often share your experiences & expertise with us!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for all your input...I guess fading black is closest to what I would think if her dapples are from being HEALTHY
default_biggrin.png
She is in foal(only 1 month) and also on a diet. I give her only 1/2 cup mixed grain 2 times a day and 1 flake timothy hay 2 a day. Is that too much still?

Thanks for all your input...I guess fading black is closest to what I would think if her dapples are from being HEALTHY
default_biggrin.png
She is in foal(only 1 month) and also on a diet. I give her only 1/2 cup mixed grain 2 times a day and 1 flake timothy hay 2 a day. Is that too much still?
Here is another pic of her other side and of her before shedding out. She did have alot of red on her winter coat and her mane and tail.
default_yes.gif

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll225/p...nt=100_0214.jpg

Latest posts

Back