yuk barf ikky stinky nasty smelly pukey

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
maybe someone has a good suggestion....new mare has HORRIBLE thrush....slaps you in the face when you pick up her feet!! YUK...anyway..looked up on past forum posts and came up with bleach/water...pinesol/water (?)..and tack store bought remedies. What REALLY works???? Do I need to peel/scrape/dig out all that soft stuff??? I have never had a horse with thrush before,
wub.gif
lucky me
wub.gif
....all I had tonight was KOPPERTOX(the green stuf) so I poured that on..and on.gggrrrr.what did they have this poor girl standing in???~!!!! and to beat all..she has brand new shoes on......

yes, clean them out as much as possible, keep her feet as dry as possible and make sure she doesn't stand in mud or wet. many things will work on thrush, your search should have turned up a few suggestions. don't mix or change treatments (coppertox and clorox together can cause a chemical reaction, for instance) and if it doesn't clear up and show you a noticable difference within a couple of days, why not check with your vet to help determine which bacteria or fungi are causing this...

yellerroseintx said:
maybe someone has a good suggestion....new mare has HORRIBLE thrush....slaps you in the face when you pick up her feet!! YUK...anyway..looked up on past forum posts and came up with bleach/water...pinesol/water (?)..and tack store bought remedies. What REALLY  works???? Do I need to peel/scrape/dig out all that soft stuff??? I have never had a horse with thrush before, 
wub.gif
lucky me
wub.gif
....all I had tonight was  KOPPERTOX(the green stuf) so I poured that on..and on.gggrrrr.what  did they have this  poor girl  standing in???~!!!!  and to beat all..she has brand new shoes on......
468806[/snapback]

Clean the gunk (thrush is foul smelling, black, gooey, stuff - may even make a "popping" noise as you pick into it in a more severe case) out of her feet and soak them in a pan with warm water and three denture tablets. Our farrier recommended this and after a few minutes, the feet are sparkling clean.
biggrin.gif

I like this method rather than bleach or other harsh chemicals. Once the foot is dry, apply thrush remedy. I like Thrush Buster myself - the purple stuff that comes in a little bottle.

Good luck!

Denise

Silversong Farm

We are dealing with this right now. Our farrier recommended cleaning the feet really good. Pack them with cotton balls(as many as you can stuff in there)soak the cotton balls and all around the inside hoof with the Koppertox and then wrap the hoof (not too tightly) with vet wrap. He said to continue doing this every three days(it's about how long the vet wrap stays on) for about a month.

I have a mare that this will happen if her diet is too rich. It is an indication of too much green grass with her,.. So I have balanced her diet with less of that and more grass hay, to keep it in check.

Along with what everyone else said. I found "Thrush Buster" the purple stuff, works hands down better than any other product including bleach.

Might be worth a try for you.
wink.gif

Sounds like some real yucky stuff! Let us know if the denture tablets work for you. Have to add that to my notes in case we would ever get a hotrse with thrush.Great info. Mary

I have treated thrush using hydrogen peroxide to clean the hoof, trim, peroxide then Coppertox. There are no doubt many other products that will work. It is important to get the hoof clean before treating.

Latest posts

Back