yrlng filly stuck in estrus

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attwoode

Reaction score
My yearling filly has been in estrus continuously all summer. I figured she would eventually ovulate and get it over with but this has been going on for months. I'd guess that this is happening because her body is still maturing and doesn't produce enough luteinizing hormone to successfully ovulate so she has become stuck in estrus. So, my theory is either to wait a couple more months to see if she goes in to fall anestrus or give her a low dose of HCG to see if that will complete the cycle and get her back to normal. She has never been bred (of course) and I'd suspect has little risk of an infection. Utrasounds are not an an easy option in my neck of the woods and local inexperienced vets pose too high of risk for ultrasound. I suppose a culture might help diagnose, but I think infection is not likely. Of course I'm hesitant to just resort to hormones for a few reasons: she is still developing, her body most likely will sort it out in time, or it could make things worse.

Have any of you experienced this type of behavior in a yearling filly? If so, how did you address it? Did it correct in time without treatment?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

I think my first line of defence would be a swab- and a straightforward test- there are a lot of things going on- too much hormone, too little hormone, etc that could be causing the problems- I am afraid I would not have let it go on this long , it just isn't good for their systems.

Latest posts

Back