Your weather week of 1/28/19

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still below freezing windchills here. It is currently 4*F. Our pipes froze yesterday, the heat tape on them quit working. So we had to sit outside for an hour with a heat gun trying to unthaw them. Got them running and new tape/insulation around them and now I've got every faucet in the house running. Keeping the thermostat to 75+ to keep the house warm as possible. Luckily tomorrow is supposed to warm back up and have the weekend in the high 50s and low 60s. Craziness!

The ponies are doing just fine. Moses the donkey refuses to come in but he has shelter and free choice hay. The girls enjoy staying in the cozy barn and will be in there until the morning most likely.

That is sure cold. I'm glad your mini's and donkey are doing well and able to be where they are most comfortable. I hope you are going to have warm weather tomorrow and the weekend.

I don't have bucket heaters and have to lug water to the barn like Minimor. This is probably the part of winter I like the least, the twice a day bucket brigade. I only have three to water, but they drink more in the cold weather. I have two sets of buckets, one set thaws out inside my backdoor while the other set is in use.
Don't tell anyone but there is always hay in my kitchen sink :p from rinsing buckets. I THINK I get it all cleaned up, but when I look again I always find a wayward bit clogging up the drain.

Only 3 to water? I have 43 of them.

Do I stay dry while watering? No, I generally slop water on myself. My pants get wet and then they freeze. My gloves get wet and my hands freeze ( I carry extra gloves in my pocket so I can have dry hands to get back to the house!) I hate winter! I chop ice and splash water on my coat which freezes into a solid slab. Ugh.

It has warmed up but now we have stronger wind so still a serious windchill, and now we have a heavy snowfall warning issued--there is a Colorado low coming at us. Have I mentioned I hate winter???

Thursday night my ASPC stallion got hurt. I found him unable to move Friday morning--he couldn't put weight on his right hind. His gelded brother is my fence jumper and I suspect he got into the corral (gone again before I found Venture) and they rough housed too much and Venture got hurt. He was cold since he cannot move much so he is now blanketed--he is walking a bit today so I am hopeful it is just a pulled muscle, not a cracked pelvis as I first feared.
Winter hates me!

Wow, I've been bummed about all the wind and rain we have been having here but thank you for reminding me that nothing is frozen. This afternoon we got a break... the sun 20190203_145514.jpg came out while it was still raining and I saw this out my front door.

The back pastures and my driving trail all have standing water so no driving for a while.

So pretty and green. And warm.

We are white. Our Colorado low has arrived and so now it is cold and windy and snowy. So snowy.

I swear I must have been too smug about our mild winter because it has settled in with a vengeance now. With the wind chill we are seeing minus 40ish (40 is 40 in both Celsius and Fahrenheit ) and we have about 4 feet of snow.
I hate winter! ..... Have I mentioned I hate winter???
I can absolutely agree with this!!

I also hate winter but I take my hat off to those here that deal with snow. Fortunately we dont get snow here, but with all the unusual weather of late, it wouldn't surprise me if it snows here in winter.

@Willow Flats I love the photo of the rainbow in your break in the weather. Here we should have about 70F here tomorrow or the next day, then colder weather again. Oh with warm weather we get rain.

We are pretty warm here also, but terrible fog every morning. It's nearly noon here and still heavy fog. By 3 o'clock it will be sunny and warm but the day will almost be over then!

Minimor, I just saw your post about your stallion. How is he doing? I hope he is better. And I also hope that your water buckets have thawed out a bit. After hearing you have 43 I won't complain anymore about 3. Well, not too much, anyway.

My boy Venture is much better--walking around with his usual springy walk--his nuisance brother is out again (stayed in his proper place a whole 36 hours) but when he got in with Venture tonight Venture just went in his shed. "Leave me alone!!" So, looks like it was just a muscle injury--thank goodness.

As for warming up--it has, to about -20F at night, but there is more wind so my water tubs are still icing up badly. We also have a lot of new snow so the horses eat snow and don't drink their water--which then freezes. Carried out warm water tonight and at least half of them were not interested in drinking.

We have had terrible fog for several days. Today was supposed to get up to 70, right before another cold spell. NOT happening! It's 3 o'clock and only 40 degrees. I fired up the wood burning stove.

Oh my Marsha. I think that’s what is happening to us. We had about 70 degrees today and then a sharp line of storms came through and the temps started dropping. I’m just very glad that there were no tornados with it. That temp drop is what causes me to be wary.

Latest posts

Back