Your weather week of 1/28/19

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyP

Reaction score
I know here in MO we are watching weather for snow and below freezing weather for a few days. I think it's pretty when I don't have to go anywhere, but hate that it causes problems for some of my friends.

I've heard Alabama and North Carolina are possibly expecting enough snow to stick and get some accumulation, and that's not good for them as they don't handle it very well.

How's it going to be where you are, and what precautions do you take for your minis, and for your family and other critters?

Windy today but no unseasonable temps, as far as I know. I should put the fly masks on my horses because of the wind, but they are so hairy they don't fit well and they rub them off. Then I have to go out and search for them in the pasture. Shelter from the wind, a hay bag under the shelter in case they need it, and a source of unfrozen water are my main priorities.

Gorgeous day here in New Hampshire, sunny and 28. One mini and my welsh pony went out with light blankets and the smallest mini, Cappy went blanket less as he is pretty hardy.
Wednesday it is supposed to be lightly snowing and in the low teens with a wind chill -0. Everyone will be blanketed, Peanut will have to wear two as he is really bothered by the cold. I give a little extra hay when it is that cold, and if it is truly miserable, they stay inside just to make my life easier.
I also give Peanut a bit of salt (1/4 teaspoon) in his feed in the winter!to promote drinking. He is not the greatest!drinker in the winter.
I have a pair of!insulated overalls I wear over a bunch of layers and have a heavy coat to go over it so I keep pretty warm. My hands are my only concern, they are always chilly.

Hello Scotty,

Last week we were at (-26 below zero) in the morning, without windchill and this week is similar. I think parts of MN by Wednesday are expected to be close to -50 below zero with windchill.

The barn has two doors, one on the north and one on the east for the minis to come and go into the barn as they wish. They come in to drink from the heated waterer and check out the salt. The majority of the time, the ponies are standing outside unless it is raining or very windy.

They are not blanketed. Their coats are extremely healthy and they are all bright eyed and bushy tailed.
Since I am a mere human, I need blanketing! I wear a 100% wool sweater, a down filled vest, covered by a full length snow suit and Sorel winter snow boots. They are a serious pair of snow boots with excellent traction. Also included in this lovely ensemble :p is a stocking hat and heavy insulated leather mittens.

The farrier continues to come at regular intervals even in the winter. (In fact, he was here last week)

From December through March, we place large round upland grass hay bales in both of the paddock areas so they have free choice hay. As they are older, they also receive Senior Chow. 50# salt blocks are also available free choice. While they are able to graze at will, they are not grossly obese and are not constantly eating, instead they wander up and down the fence line, scratch themselves, and take naps.

Stay safe and stay warm!

I am completely the opposite here and I am happy to swap some of this scorching heat for some cooler weather. Friday we got up to 47.5 degrees which is about 118f. Its been a little cooler over the weekend here back down to about 37 degrees.

I love the hot weather but it does worry me with the bush fires we get here. In extreme heat here, I empty my water troughs a few times a day as they heat up fairly fast. I feed hay under trees and hose my horses with water and then scrape them to cool them down. We also have a big trailer that has a water tank on it, fire hose and petrol pump. This is filled at the start of summer and remains filled till it starts to cool down.

I have the Vic Emergency app on my phone and it alerts me to any issues within a 10 km radius of home. Two years ago we fires at the back of our property , the fire brigade closed all the roads , It would have to be one of the most scary things Ive every been faced with. The height of the flames from the fire made my heart skip into overdrive.

I know what you mean about the fires Ryan. We had one that came right up to our round pen at our old farm a few years back. I can't recall ever being so scared. But... all that is a long way off. Today it was a balmy -5 celsius (23 F) and our snowbanks are massive. Where it lays undisturbed on the ground we've got at least 3 feet. Today and yesterday tho we have had lovely blue skys and sunshine. Snow due again by wednesday.

Wow! From -50* to approx 118* F. What a range of temps. It is really interesting to hear about the set up for the way northern members here.
I love the idea of the barn with the North and East door so you can control the doors as to which way the wind is coming from. And the horses having good enough coats to be out. Do they have undercoats as some dogs do to be out in the weather like that.
And I would never have thought of the salt to increase their water intake. How does the water stay liquid in the very cold weather? or is it kept inside the barn?

And I would not like that approx 118F and the fires being so close. I would have been looking to take the animals and leave. But I know that would be really difficult. I hope you have no fires to worry about this year.

This is a lot of information to remember for when I get a mini. Thanks for pointing out things I would have never thought of until I was in the situation.

I dont rug my little ones in the winter here, they grow such an amazing insulated coat. I rug my big horses as they dont grow a coat like the little ones do.

Ive only ever had to crack the ice on my troughs in winter 3 times in owning horses over the last 35 years. Twice last year, once the year before. It is definitely much colder at night than it used to be.

Thanks, so do I :)

Southern Indiana, its 15F right now. I go into work at noon and the girls will be brought inside until thursday likely. They do not get blanketed and while they have a run-in I'm much more at easy having them inside the barn out of the wind. Our windchill is supposed to get down near -40 tomorrow I think. Frostbite within 15 minutes is what they are saying, so I'll be going out every few hours to make sure they have warm water. They always have free-choice hay to keep them warm.

Ryan, what Scotty said -" What a range of temperatures.."! Just the other day, the PBS channel had a new 2 part Nature program on horses. One group of people and horses visited were the Yakut people who live in eastern Siberia. Talk about cold - holy cow!

The salt blocks are used by the ponies nearly as much as in the hotter months. The waterer is a Ritchie waterer and is centrally located in the barn so all ponies can access no matter what side they are in. The waterer is electric and has a heat source that is turned on in the winter to keep the water warm(ish). This waterer is my single favorite device in the barn - take my car, my house keys, my wallet, but please please please don't touch the waterer! :D

I would say, yes, the ponies have an undercoat, and like their Australian friends, it is very insulated and warm. It is very educational to read how different people deal with their weather and their animals. "One size does NOT fit all" does it, when dealing with living creatures?

All of you be safe outside this winter and Ryan, sure hope the fires this year in your country or area are minimal and easily contained. That would be a terrifying scenario - especially to have your roads blocked off.

Thanks 7fluffyfriends, It sure was an experience I hope I dont have to deal with again too soon. Its apparently supposed to rain tonight ( ill believe it when I see it) :)

This waterer is my single favorite device in the barn - take my car, my house keys, my wallet, but please please please don't touch the waterer! :D
Boy can I agree with that sentiment!The first winter here in our new place I had to haul a hose out to fill water tubs, I do NOT ever want to have to do that again. The following spring the first project was to set that waterer in place. It is outside but never freezes up (touch wood, not trying to tempt fate lol) and both the horses and the cows have water whenever the mood strikes to drink. The inventors deserve a medal. There is nothing we have done here that I appreciate more.

Last edited:
I’ve been off for a few days, and just not getting to ready this thread. So much information and how interesting as to how each of you take care of the minis.

Those wind chill numbers up north are just too much. Seems as if this week is throwing all the cold at us that it can find. I’m where there was suppose to be snow enough to cause traffic issues, and none showed up.

Those heated waterers are really a good idea. I guess no outside watering could be done in that supper cold weather.

Then down in Australia, being hot. And fires. My gosh, that’s a lot to deal with also.

Anyone near the equator or somewhere nice most of the time?

-49F here this morning, no idea what windchill is. Town is -40F and windchill of -62 so we must be at least that. The ponies all seem to be doing okay, only 2 need blankets. I haul water out to everyone 2x a day--no auto waters here

We had record heat in 2011 here and a fire just across the road in vacant land (yes, 118 degrees multiple days). I had my horses loaded up in case the fire crossed the road. Lucky for us the wind was in the right direction. Pretty scary. I hosed my horses off in the afternoon and kept 3 or 4 water sources around their grazing area so they didn't have to walk far to drink. In some ways, heat is harder to deal with than freezing.
My neighbor only has that floating heater in her tank. The horses keep playing with it, dragging it onto the ground and chewing on the cord. eeeeek. I told her about the kind that sits on the bottom, the cord going through the drain plug of the tank. That is what we use. She came up from south Texas and has to learn about cold winters. (And my water lilies winter over nicely in the tank, too.)

Just got in from the morning barn chores and our outdoor thermometer reads 34.9 and like Minimor, no idea what the windchill is but the sun is out and looks amazing.

Also....Minimor you absolutely win the prize for hardiness! I hope your ponies bow as you pass by with those water buckets! :)

Like your bunch our minis are all doing well and were, in fact, standing around outside relaxing..........can I say 'chilling' ???

Good advice, Marsha, to your neighbor! Love the image of water lilies wintering over in the tank - such a pretty picture in my head!
Scary for you also with the fires - nothing to take lightly there.

Yes, Reignmaker! Prize goes to those clever inventors. This morning I felt like giving ours a big hug but was afraid I'd stick - sort of like the tongue on the flagpole thing! ;)

By the way, Ryan, one of my go to extreme cold winter sweaters is made in Australia from your lovely Australian wool. Very effective as an underlayer today! Please give a sheep a hug from this American!!

-49F here this morning, no idea what windchill is. Town is -40F and windchill of -62 so we must be at least that. The ponies all seem to be doing okay, only 2 need blankets. I haul water out to everyone 2x a day--no auto waters here
Oh my goodness Minimor! That is wild. The coldest weather I ever saw was years ago when we lived in Northern Alberta, the temps one morning were -73 F and when my husband tried to leave for work (his truck fired right up amazingly enough so the engine warmed just fine) he took the gear shift in his hand to put the truck in drive and it snapped off of the column. I had heard of metal being brittle in the extreme cold but that was the first I'd seen it.
I salute you packing water buckets to your crew in all weather. I have one that I have in 'solitary' due to lameness issues and I fill his bucket once daily but that is one horse and I can carry the water in 2 rinsed out 4 liter (1 gallon for those who don't do metric ) milk jugs. He is allowed back in with the herd in the evenings when they are less likely to play and rough house but need more food to deal with the colder nights so only once per day. I would sure hate to be slogging water out to all of them each day.

Are you warmly dressed and not getting wet when you are out watering them? I bet you are, but I just wanted to make sure you’re not getting wet doing it.

Do you layer gloves and mittens? I don’t know how that works.

Back