Your thoughts on an open "club" for showing unregistered miniatures?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if you get it going, it would be something many people and horses could enjoy and benefit from! The ONLY thing anyone needs registry papers for is to make foals that can be registered and to show at registry shows. There's lots of fun to be had regardless of papers. I never have had a big horse with papers and never would have used the papers if I had them (Sky and Rocket were / are miles of fun anyway), and I think because (registry) shows are a big part of what lots of us do with our minis, we forget how much fun they are to just love, handle, and drive -- papers or not. Your idea would also probably bring together new friendships and awareness of how versatile little horses can be. Best of luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's a great idea, and it can help encourage people who are just started in showing to take a step towards showing at the breed shows. We have 'open' miniature horse shows in MN that are just as big as some of the breed shows in our area! And quite a few people bring their unregistered horses, too. If I remember correctly, an AMHR show in SD this year also had non-rated classes for 4-H and novice showers. MN also has a 4-H miniature horse program that allows any horse under 38" regardless if it has papers or not, and a large number of the horses shown are not registered. Until I saved up enough money to hardship register my rescue mare and show her at the breed shows, open shows were my only option. Getting the club going might be tough, but just stick to it and find some dedicated individuals to help you out. Your key to getting it started is advertising. Make sure to create some sort of website or Facebook page and post information about the club everywhere. Best of luck!

I used to just go to local shows and show in the horse classes, or sometimes in pony. Really peeved some people off because the mare I was showing at the time was really nice and cleaned house.

I remember at one show in a driving class one snot actually asked her trainer what she was to do about that little thing. The trainer told her to pay attention and show, I won the class.

Don't forget folks, the AMHA World show has started and yes you can watch on your iPad and iPhone. You should be able find a link at www.amha.org,

good idea!!! wow good answers too. Good luck to you! you will have fun showing.

Anyone interested in an registered / unregisterd fun club in Tucson, AZ? What name would you call the club?

Back