Your stall buckets, feeders, etc?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I'm using the 5 gallon flat back buckets with a handle for stall waters, but I need some new ones.

Been thinking about going to the 3 gallon ones since they don't drink the whole 5 gallons of water in there. Just seems to be too big and too much for me to be filling and dumping.

I was also looking for some ideas for buckets that do not have handles on them for water.

I use the small mineral feeders for grain; the kind that go over a 2 X 4 board.

I'm wondering what everyone else is using.

Does anyone use these 8 quart buckets and feeders?

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/products....325&dept_id=326

Where did you get what you use and cost please?

OH wait a minute: Timmy wants to talk to you. Timmy said to tell you guys "God Bless Us Everyone"

Ok Timmy, you can stop that now and save it for Christmas, I think they've got it.......
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Marty and Timmy & All

Marty I use the larger flat back water buckets for my colts. Knick, my 29" mini, drinks alot of water and Joe, my 25", only drinks a small amount. I just put a little less in Knicks and only about 1/2 full for Joe. This saved me less slime and not as heavy when time to dump them at stall cleaning hour. Marty I though about a smaller size but if I need to go for a longer period of time durning the day I can just fill them all the way up and it will last longer. Also, if we need to turn the water off for lets say 24 hours with the pump then they would not run short. You can always put less in a larger bucket but not more in a smaller one. Marty have you ever used the big round plastic buckets with rope handles for your minis? I have two new ones and I thought I could use them for grain and hay. That way it would be less spill and walked on. Are they dangerous in anyway? I never seen any post about using such buckets/tubs.

Give Timmy a hug. Oh Marty I also went to see my little friend Kiley in her first show after she got Mickey back. They are so cute. Her mimi goes at a dead walk around the barrels and then goes way up to a fast walk on the way home. I about wet myself laughing at them and the camera shots got blurred so neck time I need to have my husband take the shots.

Love

Donna

PS this is the first time I was able to get up during the day. Most of the time it is 1 or 2 in the morning.

flflyingw said:
Hi Marty and Timmy & Allhave you ever used the big round plastic buckets with rope handles for your minis?  I have two new ones and I thought I could use them for grain and hay.  That way it would be less spill and walked on.  Are they dangerous in anyway?  I never seen any post about using such buckets/tubs.

Love

Donna

PS this is the first time I was able to get up during the day.  Most of the time it is 1 or 2 in the morning.

466368[/snapback]

I did use one of those plastic buckets with a rope handle, when I first brought Misty home, for her hay; she just stuck her head in and tossed it all out. I've since made a wooden hay feeder for her and she doesn't throw quite as much on the ground now.
wink.gif

Watching Kiley must have been the hoot of all time. I can just visualize how cute that must have been.
laugh.gif

I do fill the buckets only half full, that's why I was wondering why not go to a smaller bucket?

I use the tubs for water in the fields, nothing else. Not in Timmy's field though, he can't reach down unless its nearly full. I do cut the ropes off just in case someone wants to get in trouble with them.

In the winter, I put out hay in their swimming pools.

Those plastic things that hang on the stall sides, How do you keep your horses from trying to stand in them ?? I tried them and one lasted a week, The rest all went in a timely manner following that. I use shallow rubber tubs about a foot in diameter for feeding grain and beet pulp in the winter. There is a fresh pail of water in the stall three times a day during the winter. Its just a commercial plactic pail. They last a few months then get replaced (free is good).

Hi Marty:

I found a flat backed 2 1/2 gallon rubber (throw on the ground to break the ice kind) at TSC for under 10.00.

I'm now trying to find the heated 2 1/2 gallon. I think Walmart has those.

Will be "making" hay feeders, found cattle panels with 2"x4" opening 16' long for 50.00 figure I could make (5) out of it. Will post pictures when I get them done.

Grain feeders I use the over the 2x4 kind looks like a foal feeder.

Salt block holders are the little wire ones.

Marty, I use the muck buckets for water in each and every stall. Now you must remember that I am in Arizona and it is HOT here. As for feeders I use the round rubber ones and just put them on the stall floor. I would like to have something I could hang so I don't have to go in and get the feeders twice a day but it has to be big enough for both mama and baby to get their heads in and eat at the same time. I worry that with some of those buckets only the mare would get to eat and the baby would never learn to eat out of it and supplement moms milk.

Robin

I use the 8qt flat back buckets. Bought them at TSC for around $3.00

They are great and and just the right size.

The ones that Jeffers sells look like the exact kind i have.

Latest posts

Back