your opinion requested

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
This weekend there is a local fair hosting a miniature horse show with a Judge.

It is cooler here right now but could warm up for a bit of Indian Summer, however the horses will feel better with more of a coat starting into winter.

I have done a head and partial neck clip and it looks okay. A full body clip always looks better but with the type of show and the cool weather I would like to take a chance.

Wondering if there are any experiences out there that would help with my decision.

I was thinking myself, that as a judge, I might look on the competitor as being more in touch with the horse's situation this time of year, rather than the cosmetics.

398385158.jpg

398385159.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the judge. I've seen them award a horse a first in their class and reserve grand in full winter coat with just a head/neck clip at a show in June!

I also know judges that would feel you didn't put the effort in, etc. that others might to prep your horses.

Have you ever tried a #7 (or 7.5) blade? They leave more hair but definitely even out the coat and blends better with a head/neck trim. Dog grooming suppliers carry that size.

It would depend on how badly I wanted to win. If it was for fun, I would not body clip; however, if winning was super important, I would do a full body clip. My stallion will come back in October with no hair but at the World of course there is no other choice. It drove me crazy last winter having 2 with blankets and hoods. Good luck and let me know how you make out!

Hi Genie,

It was actually at our first Clinton fair that we learned that if we are going to show, the horses must be clipped!! The first year we went, it was really cool ahead of time so we decided not to clip. We made sure that they were clean and the bridle path was neat and tidy but as far as a show clip-nothing. We were the only ones that hadn't clipped and the judge didn't even look at us!! A month later when it had warmed up and we clipped, at our first AMHR sanctionned show, our guys placed really well, so it wasn't like our gang were really crappy horses, they just hadn't been clipped for Clinton! We do tend to cheat a little for the shows in October-clip closer to the show with an 8.5 blade instead of our regular 10. Good luck with whatever you decide!

thanks djskid, because it is that same judge!!!!! I guess I will get the 7 blade and finish them off. It has gotten really cold here already but could be warm by Saturday.

Hope you have great results SampleMM at the Nationals and thanks everyone for the advice
default_saludando.gif

For those not really well used to the different blades, 7 blades can be dangerous if not used very carefully. This especially around areas where the bone or tendon, lies very close to the surface. For example, along the line just above the hock. I'd suggest an 8 1/2. They leave some coat, but not too much or too little.

Lizzie

thanks djskid, because it is that same judge!!!!!

It was actually a few years ago that we learned the lesson-I forget the judge's name but there were a few of us that didn't like him especailly as he had judged the class, including putting the winning horses in a line, before he even had all the horses in the ring!

I'm not sure what this judge would be like-in some ways he kinda struck me as one who would be okay with you not clipping but then he was picky about some other minor things, so who knows!!??
default_wacko.png

This time of year, with the chill already in the air...I would care more about the welfare of the horse, than winning a ribbon...especially at a local show. Think about it...it isn't like you are in the running for a "big-time" championship or needing just that-one-more-point for a national title.

I have clipped horses in April heat, and had them stand and shiver under double blankets for weeks till it gets hot...how will you feel watching your buddy shiver going into even COLDER weather?

If you are using a regular #7 blade use caution around the folds of skin near elbows, under arms, and the lion area. You are better off using a #7F or 8 1/2. Or just go ahead and clip using a #10, believe me the hair will grow back before the snow starts to fall, and until then you can blanket. If you prefer to leave the coat, just go with the grain on the back of the legs and clip the head as usual, clip the bridle path and around eyes, muzzle as usual. We are still showing locally and just went to a show this past weekend and didn't completely clip and won almost all our classes, but did get one second. We have our last show in Oct. and will only clip what is necessary to win, but don't want the horses to be cold at night.

Thanks everyone.

I think I will chance going with the head and neck clip. I am not what you would call an expert clip person and as some have said, I should be considering the horse more than a ribbon.

DJSkid, I can not remember who that judge might have been then. I thought you meant this year and it is the same judge both Clinton and Seaforth. He is around my age and I am 70
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

Hi Genie,

Our last clip is usuallly the CNE. Last year at the licoln fair which is usually the second week of September there were horses that were not clipped that where pinned- it is a fair and not a R show. Our one guy last year was so cold we kept a blanket on him while waiting for class- so his last clip this year was the CNE clip.

Thanks for that info. I think I am going to go with the bath and only a head and partial neck clip.

As has been said before, the welfare of my horses is more important than a ribbon.

This is a tuff one. Most show horses are clipped on the body with a #30 and #15 for the face and maybe #40.

In my humble opinion, if I were going to put the work and money and time into any show, even a county fair, I would be presenting my horse in the best possible way as he would be a representation of me, or I'd just stay home. I don't see the point of showing a horse who is not prepared and looking less than show ring ready.

However, I'm another one who will not compromise my horse's heath for a ribbon but showing him head and necked would not be an option. The way I see it would be a compromise:

Shave his body with a standard #10. That way he is not "skinned" on the body. Use a #30 or #15 for his face and bridle path, and learn to blend. Use a sheet and a blanket and alternate as needed. He's going to grow his hair back very quickly this time of year in no time.

Adding: Is this an inside show???

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is still OK to trim them down.

I have trimmed a couple of ours up today.

Must remember the ones down at the Nationals will

have theirs trimmed for the next week or so to show and

have to bring them back to Ontario.

I think they should still be fine.

I notice they grow their coats fast around here and sure hoping for

a descent fall..

Unfortunate we never had a good spring and had to clip

them for the Clinton Show.

Good Luck and have a good day, and lots of fun. Sorry I will miss it..

As a judge -- the rule book says "May be shown in full coat"

So-- I would prefer to see them in either full coat OR fully clipped -- but certainly NOT half & half. I would NOT like a head & neck clip -- nothing in rule book points out that is ok.

Just my opinion Genie. If you go for it -- let me know how it turns out.

default_sad.png
default_sad.png
That being said by a judge means I am doing the rest of the clip this morning
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

I sure wish I was a better horsedresser. I like a few days between clipping and the show
default_laugh.png

I know someone who last year showed some horses only partially clipped--this was a sanctioned show, in the southern US, I can't remember if it was late fall or very early spring. As I recall she clipped the heads and part of the necks, enough to show off the horse's throadlatch--and she won with them. The coats weren't super long but they were quite obviously full coated.

I hope show day itself will be warm; in my opinion there is nothing worse than seeing a clipped horse SHIVERING out in the ring. Yes, the horses are being clipped for Nationals, but Tulsa won't be exactly cold yet.

I have shown my horses in PROPER trace clips, leaving the main portion of the body un-clipped. There is no way any Judge could say the horse was not presented properly, and not look like they didn't know what they were talking about. So, if "popular demand" has you "NEEDING" to clip...what you can do is a trace clip...which is basically the head, under neck/chest, belly, and a zip at the lower flank area.

Back