Your horse is sold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniemac

Reaction score
Sanerio... you sell a mini you had for 1year ..Shes gone for 3 years,,then you are able to get her back..and it's like she never left.

We got a mini back today I havent seen in 3 years..one of my favorites.I rode in the trailer with her as she had a 2 month old baby with her and about half way home the mares eyes lit up and she pressed her nose against my hand and nickered.

I would like to think she remembered who I was and was glad to be in my company again.. but she could have been looking for her baby.

Has anyone ever been through that kind of experiance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jenie,

I think you're asking if your mare could remember you after 3 years, and I would say "yes." I think horses do remember people as well as other horses when they get back together after several years. I recently got a mare back who not only remembered me but her best friend in the pasture. She went around checking out the horses she was put in with. When she came to her friend, they both remembered each other and it was such a joy to watch them grooming and loving on each other. They were absolutely inseparable for several days. So I definately think your mare remembers you!

Rita

Yep I do.. My buckskin filly Savannah was born and raised on our farm, was the only foal that year so needless to say she was quite spoiled.. I ended up selling her as a 6 month old weanling to a gal and her family that lived about 15-20 minutes from me.. I stopped by a few times and every time she would come trotting up to the gate, always chalked it up to her thinking she was going to get fed.

I was given the opportunity to take her back last fall.. I of course jumped on it as I absolutely loved this filly (sort of regretted selling her even though she was in that perfect home) and I had lost her dam to colic, and this girl (though buckskin and solid, dam was a bay pinto) reminded me sooo much of her momma.. When we went to pick her up, she stuck her head over the gate, eyes lit up, ears perked up and she nickered, then she started bobbing her head up and down like saying "yes", had tears come to my eyes cause 1. I felt like she was saying she approved of going home with us and 2. her momma would always bob her head when she saw me coming.. When brought her home she acted as if she'd never left
default_smile.png

I recently bought my mares foal from 06, theey had been apart about two years andd wondered if they remembered each other....yes they did ..within a few minutes after being put together they were doiing mutual grooming on one another and both seem happy to see each other.....maternal instinct or whatever I am glad they are together....did not need another mini but it just worked out that way!

I've read some research that shows horses have an incredibly detailed and long standing memory, much like an elephants though not quite as strong. I am sure she remembered you!

Well, we all know that horses remember bad experiences for the rest of their lives and can hold grudges so why wouldn't they remember all of the good experiences, too? I'm sure she remembers you.
default_smile.png

We recently brught back a stallion who was away for over a year. He settled in just like he never left. Nice to have him home
default_yes.gif

From what you describe I would say she does indeed remember you..... It was the SMELL OF YOUR HAND that triggered it for her. Horses rely strongly on scent for identification.

Posted Today, 02:19 PM
Sunny, on 13 July 2010 - 12:25 PM, said:

Why don't you just contact them directly and ask?

I just want to clarify that this was my reply to the first question that was posted before it was replaced with this one about the mare knowing the person.

JUDY BAKKER

AMHR/ASPC Judge

Townsend, Ontario (Area II)

Canada
Certainly does create a strange impression when the question in the original post is changed after answers are posted, doesn't it?

YEP!! I know of one horse who was with my coaches for I don't know how long exactly, but no more than a year. A few years later, my one coach was at the farm (which was out in the Prairies) and this horse came thundering over to him and just looked at him. It was the horse that they had started to break to saddle, and he remembered him from his voice!

Yesterday I was at a farm, and I have not seen one of the horses there for about 4 years. He is an older guy-in his 20s-and he didn't recognize me until I walked over to him and put my hand on his nose.....wow, did his eyes ever light up! He knew who I was!

~kathryn

My first horse was an untrained yearling thoroughbred when I was 15. She taught me some hard knocks of life, but I loved her dearly. I got married young, and moved an hour away, and before I could make arrangements, my mother sold this mare. I tried for years to find who had her locally, to no avail. Long story short, 11 years, living out of state, two kids, and back at my hometown, I was driving my son to preschool on a county road and noticed a horse and rider crossing on another road. I approached the intersection and got out and knew it was her! I called her name in that sing-songy way only someone who loves their horses can do, and that mare's head flew up and she started neighing and looked back so her rider turned her and walked up to me. I couldn't believe she remembered me after 11 years! While she nuzzled me and I choked back tears, I apologized to the rider and told him the story. He dismounted and I could tell he really loved her and she him, which made me so happy. He invited me to visit her which I did a couple times until they sold their business and moved, with the mare
default_smile.png
. Yes its true, and yes they can remember, tho I think smell and sound are the first memory triggers.

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!

I've been on the "sell ones you do NOT want to" end and although I explained it to them over and over before they left, I had promised them all I'd see them again. So far, I have seen all but two again....life isn't over!
default_wink.png

They remember, respond and have been a great joy. I have purchased many back. One of my stallions, now 26, was offered back to me after being gone for 3 + yrs. He knew me immediately when I went to get him and it was quite obvious. He jumped in the trailer and never has acted like he left me.

Another I tried for almost 4 yrs to buy back. No sale. But, I did see him when I took a mare to him but, sadly he let me know he was not in good health -- although he LOOKED it.

He passed about 4-5 mos later, the owner & I sat and cried over the phone together. Just glad that I was able to give him a loving visit as I had promised. We both knew it would be our last visit and he knew how very much I loved him! NOW, I'm crying again!!!! WOW, I will never get over that loss.

Anyhow, they surely do remember good times and love. Makes it very hard to sell any now.

WOW

I was not expecting all the responses..Lets keep it going. These stories are great.

And it makes me feel like I'm not being over emotional. My husband thinks I crazy enough anyway.
default_wacko.png

Note to your Honor..I appoligize for changing the content of my origional form on you. After some thught and not being able to delete the post all I could was change it. This is a much better topic.

I just want to clarify that this was my reply to the first question that was posted before it was replaced with this one about the mare knowing the person.
I appoligise to your Honor. I was unable to delete that post so I changed it to this topic which is much better.

I went to show a mare for a friend who got the mare from me about a year prior. When I showed up at the stall (my friend was elsewhere), I looked in and said "hey, Firefly" and she looked up, whinnied, and wanted to visit with me / be pet. I am SURE she remembered me and I was really touched (choked up).

Additionally, I have seen horses who were separated from their horse friends react to each other when reunited and there is no doubt that, even after years, they remember each other and pick up their friendships and bonds right where they left off.

Horses are far more intelligent than most people give them credit for being and I would say that YES she definitely remembers you. Horses have excellent memories!!! Glad you are reunited. Must make your heart happy too!!!!

I appoligise to your Honor. I was unable to delete that post so I changed it to this topic which is much better.
"Your Honor"?! LOL!!! Bless your heart! I'm "just" a horse show Judge!
default_biggrin.png
I figured that's what happened, but my original reply made no sense to your second question.

This is indeed a very interesting topic! I also believe that horses remember us, and each other, after long separations.

Kind of reminds me of Black Beauty! How wonderful that she is perfectly content in your care:)

Latest posts

Back